Reload this Page >

Ukraine-Russia War

Ukraine-Russia War

Old Oct 10th 2022, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ukraine-Russia War

Originally Posted by Sachina
Forgive me for being thick but what makes you think that Hungary is going to be invaded by the US?
It's not. I am saying that is Putin steps foot in Hungary, the USA would immediately retaliate against Putin
Old Oct 10th 2022, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
It's not. I am saying that is Putin steps foot in Hungary, the USA would immediately retaliate against Putin
Thank you for clearing that up. But the US would do the same for any other NATO country that Putin invaded and I would have thought the farther away from Ukraine and Russia the safer you're likely to be. I live only 80 miles from the Ukraine/Hungarian border and some 175 miles from Lviv as a missle flies which doesn't feel particularly safe to me.

And if Reuters reporting is correct it looks like Lukashenko and Belarus are coming to Russia's aid.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ys-2022-10-10/
Old Oct 11th 2022, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I live only 80 miles from the Ukraine/Hungarian border and some 175 miles from Lviv as a missle flies which doesn't feel particularly safe to me.
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, if things got to that stage then it would be irrelevant wether you were 175 miles or 1,175 miles from the border. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a bolt hole in Switzerland, then Hungary is as safe as anywhere in Europe, certainly more so than the UK who are definitely not in Putin's good books ...
Old Oct 12th 2022, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, if things got to that stage then it would be irrelevant wether you were 175 miles or 1,175 miles from the border. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a bolt hole in Switzerland, then Hungary is as safe as anywhere in Europe, certainly more so than the UK who are definitely not in Putin's good books ...
I think Hungary is probably safer than any other EU country and the UK. I think it all depends on whether Putin's Russia annexes the whole of Ukraine and then he looks for a new gateway to Western Europe and further.
I wasn't surprised with Putin's reaction to the bombing of the Crimea bridge. He responded by targeting Ukrainian civilians! We all know now how he reacts to anyone catching his army out and making them look incompetent and poorly trained. But what are his long term aims? A new USSR?
I'm a bit surprised NATO (?) hasn't responded to the killing of civillians because they sure did when war broke out in the old Yugoslavia. Putin seems to see the killing of Ukrainian civilians as collateral damage.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I think Hungary is probably safer than any other EU country and the UK. I think it all depends on whether Putin's Russia annexes the whole of Ukraine and then he looks for a new gateway to Western Europe and further
I agree with you ... I feel safer here than I would anywhere else in Europe, bar Switzerland, as far as I'm aware, there are no strategic targets of any importance here. I would also suspect that should Putin be reckless enough to attempt to head further West than Ukraine, Belarus and onto Poland would seem to be the likely route.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I agree with you ... I feel safer here than I would anywhere else in Europe, bar Switzerland, as far as I'm aware, there are no strategic targets of any importance here. I would also suspect that should Putin be reckless enough to attempt to head further West than Ukraine, Belarus and onto Poland would seem to be the likely route.
Or Moldova which is neither a NATO nor EU member and only has a military of 2000 personnel. There are already Russian soldiers (peace keepers) in Transdnestria which is a Russian speaking enclave. And then on to Romania and Hungary?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...on-2022-09-01/

Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Or Moldova which is neither a NATO nor EU member and only has a military of 2000 personnel. There are already Russian soldiers (peace keepers) in Transdnestria which is a Russian speaking enclave. And then on to Romania and Hungary?

I was thinking he might use Hungary as a gateway to Croatia, Slovenia so Russia is closer to Western Europe and right on Austria's doorstep. Hungary might be in NATO but it's come under alot of criticism from Europe and the UK they might hold back sending in their contingent of NATO troops.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I was thinking Hungary as a gateway to Croatia, Slovenia, Austria
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I've lifted an extract from your link:
"Everyone should understand that any action that would threaten the security of our troops (in Transdniestria) would be considered under international law as an attack on Russia, as was the case in South Ossetia when our peacekeepers were attacked by (former Georgian President Mikheil) Saakashvili," Lavrov said.

What? International Law is being quoted here .... it's being ignored in Ukraine!!!
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I was thinking he might use Hungary as a gateway to Croatia, Slovenia so Russia is closer to Western Europe and right on Austria's doorstep. Hungary might be in NATO but it's come under alot of criticism from Europe and the UK they might hold back sending in their contingent of NATO troops.
Holding back would negate the whole point of (& support for) NATO.
Article 5 prevails (an attack on one is an attack on all). Collaboration with NATO is good - criticism (from outside) is primarily from certain elements within the EU (& Soros sponsored efforts elsewhere).
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Holding back would negate the whole point of (& support for) NATO.
Article 5 prevails (an attack on one is an attack on all). Collaboration with NATO is good - criticism (from outside) is primarily from certain elements within the EU (& Soros sponsored efforts elsewhere).
I agree.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you watch the movie "On the Beach"..original movie is from 1959 with Gregory Peck, or the later version with Armand Assante from 2000. Maybe you will think a little differently about it afterwards.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
I suggest you watch the movie "On the Beach"..original movie is from 1959 with Gregory Peck, or the later version with Armand Assante from 2000. Maybe you will think a little differently about it afterwards.
Because fiction is always the best source of factual information.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calman014
Old Oct 12th 2022, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Because fiction is always the best source of factual information.
Hiroshima, Chernobyl and more recently Fukushima weren't fiction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.