Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jul 13th 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

It is not a good time to be exchanging large amount of pounds for forints but it could be worse, when I purchased in spring 2011 I got a rate of about 305.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
I think it's telling that all the major faces of the Leave campaign are nowhere to be seen and have run away from the consequences of their actions. And there are serious consequences. Like the almost certainty Scotland will leave the UK if Article 50 is triggered and let's not start on Northern Ireland.........
Yes - where are all the brexitiers? hiding in their holes?
I think Scotland (and Northern Ireland?) will be in for a surprise as there are enough other EU members with minorities wanting independence that a breakaway Scotland would not be welcome as it would give others ideas above their perceived station (e.g. Catalonia or the Basque region or Transylvania to name but 3)
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Yes - where are all the brexitiers? hiding in their holes?
I think Scotland (and Northern Ireland?) will be in for a surprise as there are enough other EU members with minorities wanting independence that a breakaway Scotland would not be welcome as it would give others ideas above their perceived station (e.g. Catalonia or the Basque region or Transylvania to name but 3)
I think Scotland is in a unique constitutional position. It is still a nation and arguably a state within a united kingdom under an act of two parliaments. it is not like Catalonia at all. The UK was created via an act of Union between two Sovereign states that can be revoked. Scotland still has enoug of a seperate national life. The legal system is different to that of England and always has been for example. There have been noises coming from EU politicians that Scotland is likely to be treated as a unigue case being a formally independant nation secceding from a current EU member.

The book is certainly not closed. And npw it is Boris in charge of the Foreign Office I can see Europe spiting England by gviing Scotland whatever it wants.

I am sure I used to be able to type fast......!

Last edited by jetsam1; Jul 13th 2016 at 8:13 pm. Reason: Inability to type in proper English.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

As a dedicated European I'm really astonished at the Conservatives' position.

May asks the EU for more time - didn't she and her people think about what to do after the referndum beforehand?

Do they expect the EU to be "lenient" on them?

I hope the EU gives them a hard time - no compromises with those idiots!

Britain (or Little England as we jokingly call it now in the EU ...) must find out what they really want and bear the consequences - no longer just "picking raisins" from the EU!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
As a dedicated European I'm really astonished at the Conservatives' position.

May asks the EU for more time - didn't she and her people think about what to do after the referndum beforehand?

Do they expect the EU to be "lenient" on them?

I hope the EU gives them a hard time - no compromises with those idiots!

Britain (or Little England as we jokingly call it now in the EU ...) must find out what they really want and bear the consequences - no longer just "picking raisins" from the EU!
It is utterly obvious nobody actually thought about they were doing. Cameron did this for purely party political reasons and lost. Unfortunately he has dragged the rest of us down too. I hope for some compromise as being a UK citizen in Europe is getting precarious.

You know it's a joke when Boris Johnson gets to be Foreign Secretary. I have been pinching myself to make sure this is actually real. The UK is finished.

I can say one thing for sure now. I am not going back.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

My sister who's married to that nice English bloke might come and visit us this summer - wonder what she will say. She and all my friends in London are totally angry about this development.

Is there still a chance that the govrnment will change its mind - or maybe Britain gets a new government?

PS:
I've stopped reading about the whole story because it seems so weird and every day new idiocies turn up ...
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Fixed term parliament until 2020. A General Election can only be called before then by a 2\3rds majority vote of no confidence within Parliament.

Laughing stock right now barely cuts it! The only hope is that they collapse into infighting as Borsis starts gunning for the top job and Labour somehow start behaving like a proper opposition.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Here's something on Boris' appointment - everybody thinks it's avery good example of English humour!
'Maybe the Brits are just having us on': the world reacts to Boris Johnson as foreign minister | Politics | The Guardian
Look at the face of the US spokesman,
Old Jul 14th 2016, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there still a chance that the government will change its mind - or maybe Britain gets a new government?
Nope. Not on Brexit itself, at least. One reason for the "Out" result was a protest against the present government and against the political class in general. The people were promised a referendum; if the government were then to turn round and say that actually, it was just an opinion poll, the result has been noted but is going to be ignored – the government would lose any credibility it still has. An absolute majority for UKIP at the 2020 elections would then be far from unlikely, and a UKIP government would take the country out of the EU in an instant.

Where there is still some wiggle-room is for a "Brexit lite" on the Norwegian or Swiss models. But Theresa May's statements and her choice of cabinet appointments (particularly David Davis as Brexit minister) suggest a "hard Brexit" is more likely in which the UK will attempt to go it alone.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! talk about knee jerk reaction.
Teresa May has been in power a day and it's all doom and gloom.
but it is ok, history shows us other people also though the UK was an insignificant little country incapable of managing alone.

me, well I'll wait a while before I decide one way or the other.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:55 am
Just Joined

2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute

My sister who's married to that nice English bloke might come and visit us this summer - wonder what she will say. She and all my friends in London are totally angry about this development.

Is there still a chance that the govrnment will change its mind - or maybe Britain gets a new government?

PS:
I've stopped reading about the whole story because it seems so weird and every day new idiocies turn up ...
The Brussels caused the Brexit. Now that UK exited this crooked club they are surprised and upset. Suddenly, they consider overhauling immigration policies. Nobody wanted to do it before the Brexit. Instead of poking fun at "little Britain" EU and esp. the Germans should worry about Italian banks. A far bigger problem.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

What's done has been done...and regardless of one's political view point...it was a democratic vote. What happens next is new territory for the EU and Britain. I see a lot of expats reacting negatively to Brexit, and while this well may have an impact on my own life etc...I am not going to make any rash decisions based on what may or may not happen.
When you vote for the future of a country, do you vote for what is best for your own individual circumstances...or what is right for the country? It can be tough call..
Old Jul 15th 2016, 7:59 am
Just Joined

2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute2016Marion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
What's done has been done...and regardless of one's political view point...it was a democratic vote. What happens next is new territory for the EU and Britain. I see a lot of expats reacting negatively to Brexit, and while this well may have an impact on my own life etc...I am not going to make any rash decisions based on what may or may not happen.
When you vote for the future of a country, do you vote for what is best for your own individual circumstances...or what is right for the country? It can be tough call..
I'm just an observer, I'm not a Brit. I guess we vote for what we consider is best for us. Why are Brits living in EU countries so worried about getting kicked out?
No country is interested loosing income from expats or wants abandoned housing on the market (may be Germany does). A decision on immigration is a long way off.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 2016Marion
Why are Brits living in EU countries so worried about getting kicked out?
I am not sure...I keep on thinking I am missing something The Swiss don't get kicked out of EU countries they decide to live in as far as I am aware....

I guess going forward it might be more tricky for Brits who want to move to EU countries. But as I say, nobody knows the long term implications.

Time to start thinking about things when Hungary pulls out of the EU...
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:49 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2016Marion
The Brussels caused the Brexit. Now that UK exited this crooked club they are surprised and upset. Suddenly, they consider overhauling immigration policies. Nobody wanted to do it before the Brexit. Instead of poking fun at "little Britain" EU and esp. the Germans should worry about Italian banks. A far bigger problem.
Erm, you mean UK immigration policy, right? After all, that's what demonstrably led to this. The EU was only a convenient scapegoat in delivering the winning blow in a schoolboy political fight amongst Tory party elitists. And it worked.

Frankly, the leave campaign should be thanking the very UK immigration policy that facilitated the growing immigrant population in the UK over the past 50 years (and the generous welfare state that makes it so attractive), because without those immigrants - EU and otherwise, this fight would have gone a very different direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.