Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Online Tax Return

UK Online Tax Return

Old Dec 17th 2016, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Angry UK Online Tax Return

I just wondered if any members have had problems doing their online tax returns this time? They have introduced an extra security requirement since last year. They send a text message with a code which you have to enter as part of the log on procedure. I tried to do my return a couple of weeks ago but I was at my Croatia place where there is rarely a mobile phone signal.

Today I tried again, this time at my house in Hungary. I entered my Hungarian mobile phone number but no text message was received. I tried again but nothing. My cottage in Scotland never has a signal so I would be no better off if doing it back in UK.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

AmanSood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Online Tax Return

if you are still having problems, one option is to maybe use a friend's telephone number and ask them to let you know the code when you get it but you would of course need to trust them!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aman, I have sent you a PM.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I had a problem with an sms with a code sent by my bank to confirm payment to a new account. After 6 attempts to receive the sms (new sms in each case) I phoned the bank and they confirmed that 6 sms(es) were sent but told me that it was not a 'standard sms' and some phones had problems and that I should talk to my phone service provider. I completed the transaction via telephone. I complained to the phone co. and they said "Oh yes, you need a new sim card" and gave me one.

I haven't had the occasion to test the fix yet!!!!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

It looks like I have been doing it wrong for the last few years as people in my circumstances are supposed to use commercial software for their tax returns. I did this and there was no requirement for text messages.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It looks like I have been doing it wrong for the last few years as people in my circumstances are supposed to use commercial software for their tax returns. I did this and there was no requirement for text messages.
Yes, living outside the UK you are supposed to use external software but if you need to access your HMRC account then you still need the SMS code.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The annoying thing is it looks like you have to buy new software each year.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
The annoying thing is it looks like you have to buy new software each year.
Yes, as a non UK resident you have to pay for the privilege of paying UK taxes!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, living outside the UK you are supposed to use external software but if you need to access your HMRC account then you still need the SMS code.
Umm..... What is this? Never heard of needing 3rd party software before? HMRC never mentioned anything?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Umm..... What is this? Never heard of needing 3rd party software before? HMRC never mentioned anything?
When logging in to their website back in January I noticed a statement that if you live outside the UK you cannot use HMRC software, why? No idea! They then offered a list of providers.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately my tax return is very simple!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I had a problem with an sms with a code sent by my bank to confirm payment to a new account. After 6 attempts to receive the sms (new sms in each case) I phoned the bank and they confirmed that 6 sms(es) were sent but told me that it was not a 'standard sms' and some phones had problems and that I should talk to my phone service provider. I completed the transaction via telephone. I complained to the phone co. and they said "Oh yes, you need a new sim card" and gave me one.

I haven't had the occasion to test the fix yet!!!!
Some banks will use SMS short codes and a lot of the MVNOs have problems with receiving these type of messages
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, as a non UK resident you have to pay for the privilege of paying UK taxes!
Does anyone know why they did this?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Fortunately my tax return is very simple!
So was mine! In fact this year (unlike the previous) I only owed £2 but it cost me £12,50 to find out!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mrken30
Does anyone know why they did this?
Because they can, because we're expats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.