Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Nationals living in Hungary

UK Nationals living in Hungary

Old Sep 27th 2018, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Nationals living in Hungary

i would expect the current rule applies as long as you apply before the B-Day.After the 30th of March the new rule comes into effect.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

What is the difference between permanent residency and the residence you achieve when you get your registration card in the beginning?
I am aiming to apply for citizenship and am still unclear if it is eight years or eleven years before I can apply. I have no Hungarian connections so no shortcuts for me..
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

you can apply for permanent residence after 5 years (which starts from the date of your registration card and Address card)
after 8 years (starting from the date of your reg and address card) you can apply for citizenship
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:43 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

What about spouses? I'm a Brit married to a Hungarian since 2000. Is it any easier to get PR status/ citizenship?
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

permanent residency:
the spouse of a Hungarian citizen if their marriage was contracted at least two years prior to the date when the application was submitted and they share the same household since.
citizenship:
the spouse of a Hungarian citizen if their marriage was contracted at least three years prior to the date when the application was submitted and they share the same household since.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Szentgal
permanent residency:
the spouse of a Hungarian citizen if their marriage was contracted at least two years prior to the date when the application was submitted and they share the same household since.
citizenship:
the spouse of a Hungarian citizen if their marriage was contracted at least three years prior to the date when the application was submitted and they share the same household since.
yep but how easy is it? language tests etc?
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:53 pm
Banned

How to get permanent residence

After five years of legal residence in Hungary, individuals can apply for permanent residence. In case of family reunification or marriage to a citizen of Hungary, permanent residence permits are issued immediately.

Residence permit requirements include:
completed application
  • documents confirming relationship (birth, adoption, marriage certificate)
  • proof of sufficient financial means
  • medical insurance
Permanent residence is unlimited and gives the holder the same rights as citizens, excluding the right to vote. The document is renewed every 10 years but the requirements do not change.

https://tranio.com/hungary/residence/

Does that sound right?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
yep but how easy is it? language tests etc?
If you are over 65 then no language test !
Old Sep 29th 2018, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was no language test once you turn 60