UK Nationals living in Hungary

Old Sep 6th 2018, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Nationals living in Hungary

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...tent=immediate
Old Sep 6th 2018, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nationals living in Hungary

Well, I`m reassured. (Sarcasm)

Not up to him, I still think there is a push for a no deal. Why would anyone in government actually care a jot for any of us? They barely give a toss for ordinary people in the UK. Two years and and they are still no-where constructive.........
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

My HU wife recommends Hungary doesn't give a s**t about Britain leaving the EU. She also reckons they will not worry about the British expats staying, and wanting to stay, in the country simply because the Hungarian government has no problem with British expats. And for the sake of a couple of thousand or so British expats, they are hardly going to want to set up a special office to process brexit paperwork. It is easier for the Hungarian government to leave everything as it is. Who are the bulk of British expats anyway - Most of them aged 50+ minding their own business.

Those married to a Hungarian should also find it easier to live in Hungary permanently after brexit, as the Hungarian government doesn't mind their citizens marrying British whereby those British then apply to stay via their Hungarian partner. As many different Hungarian officials have told me: "So many things are done just for formality's sake in Hungary"....to the point they just do the paperwork rather than contact the UK officials for example. The TAJ card is such an example.

Anyway, I might buy a cheap 4 bedroom house after brexit, when the s**t estate agents (who currently have so many requirements (credit score, 4 x your salary to prove you can pay bills, a 2 month deposit, etc for you to rent a house) are begging me, when the pound becomes worthless, etc. Example: We went to Liverpool two years ago to look at property. The mortgage was £400 per month, our rent+bills in London was £1,500 (not including bus pass and food). The Liverpool estate agent wanted my HU wife to be earning 3 x £400 plus food money, etc. My HU wife just laughed as if to say "If I can afford London, I am sure I can afford Liverpool".
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:52 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

I think a Brit could easily live in Hungary without registering for residency, no problems. Maybe many years.

Possible problems if stopped by the traffic police. But get round that by going to Vienna once every 6 months,
Old Sep 7th 2018, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
I think a Brit could easily live in Hungary without registering for residency, no problems. Maybe many years.

Possible problems if stopped by the traffic police. But get round that by going to Vienna once every 6 months,
Except I don't think you can register a Hungarian car as a non-resident and if you are driving your UK car then it is annual trips back to get MOTs. And the probability is that after Brexit as a non-EU citizen you will only get 90 days in the Schengen area as a tourist the same as any other non-EU citizen so nipping over to Vienna won't count.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:08 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Peter, After Brexit, you will most likely only be allowed to remain 90 days out of every 180 days as a non resident. I doubt they will actively seek Brits to deport in a round up but you will need to apply for residency because if you remain after the Brexit and do not have permission to remain (I.E. Residency) you may be deported or at a minimum fined when you find yourself stopped by the Rendorszeg during a traffic stop and trust me, it WILL happen. NOW is the time to be applying for residency or at a minimum making plans to do so before there is a rush when Brexit hits.

We are only allowed to remain inside the Eurozone 90 days out of every 180 days once the Brexit hits, that DOES NOT mean crossing a border into another Eurozone nation inside the Shengen zone, that means those without residency must leave the Shengen zone area and remain gone until they have complied with the 90/180 rule. Crossing into Austria from Hungary for a day trip is not going to cut it under the rules for non EU zone citizens. AS I understand it unless there is an agreement that the UK remains inside the Shengen zone,Brits will be treated like any other non EU citizen in respect to border crossings.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Sep 7th 2018 at 9:15 am. Reason: additional thought
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I agree with Peter, After Brexit, you will most likely only be allowed to remain 90 days out of every 180 days as a non resident. I doubt they will actively seek Brits to deport in a round up but you will need to apply for residency because if you remain after the Brexit and do not have permission to remain (I.E. Residency) you may be deported or at a minimum fined when you find yourself stopped by the Rendorszeg during a traffic stop and trust me, it WILL happen. NOW is the time to be applying for residency or at a minimum making plans to do so before there is a rush when Brexit hits.

We are only allowed to remain inside the Eurozone 90 days out of every 180 days once the Brexit hits, that DOES NOT mean crossing a border into another Eurozone nation inside the Shengen zone, that means those without residency must leave the Shengen zone area and remain gone until they have complied with the 90/180 rule. Crossing into Austria from Hungary for a day trip is not going to cut it under the rules for non EU zone citizens. AS I understand it unless there is an agreement that the UK remains inside the Shengen zone,Brits will be treated like any other non EU citizen in respect to border crossings.
Isn't it 90 days per year if you come from a non EU member country?
Old Sep 10th 2018, 1:22 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, I know that Americans Canadians and many from other nations are allowed 90 days in the EU zone and then must leave and remain gone 90 days unless they have a residency permit. I would think that there are probably treaties in place that may vary. The best answer for that would be on the Hungarian Government Immigration website. I am speculating but I would think if a visitor is not required to apply for an visa to enter in a EU Zone nation you would be under the 90/180 rule.,
Old Sep 10th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Isn't it 90 days per year if you come from a non EU member country?
Yes it is, but what do you think the UK will be come next March ??
Old Sep 10th 2018, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Why not ask for a residency permit right now?
Even if the UK leaves the EU these might stay valid - there are lots of UK citizens in other EU countries too (Spain e g) and we don't want to lose you and your money so I'm almost sure that there will be some kind of solution, permit, whatever.
Wish you luck!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to apply for registration card and address card once you have these is there a minimum time you have to stay in Hungary or are you free to travel back to the Uk for any amount of time? I ask as I normally spend 3 to 4 months over christmas in the UK. for the moment my main house is in the UK and my Hungarian house is occupied about 5 months out of the year
any help would be appreciated
Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heli2010
I am about to apply for registration card and address card once you have these is there a minimum time you have to stay in Hungary or are you free to travel back to the Uk for any amount of time? I ask as I normally spend 3 to 4 months over christmas in the UK. for the moment my main house is in the UK and my Hungarian house is occupied about 5 months out of the year
any help would be appreciated

HI.there is free movement within the EU.You can come and go as you like at the moment!not sure about ater Brexit.Your registration card and address card is valid or ever.. (at the moment) thats what we were toldI would advise you to get your reg and address card sorted ASAP.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Szentgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Also you can apply for permanent residency after 5 years (of the date of your reg.card) or 2 years if you have a hungarian wife / husband, so sorting your registr. card is important
Old Sep 26th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Now the registration card isn't the card you get from the immigration office on being allowed to stay in the first instance is it? I think I will just be at five years just before B Day....... I like the way that sounds a little like "Bidet".

I could have done that a couple of years ago if I'd known........ But the self employed thing may cause problems.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

This could get messy !
The rules for EU (EEA) citizens and 'Third country' citizens differ in the amount of time needed to get permanent residency. Next March the UK becomes a 'Third Country' what happen to those caught between the two time periods will be up to the bureaucrats and the politicians. Guesses anyone !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.