UK in Hungary

Old Sep 19th 2019, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

almafak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK in Hungary

I received a "Regisztracios Igazolas EGT allampolgar reszere" (Registration Certificate for EEA Citizens) after I had been here for 90 days. It has no photo and is valid indefinitely.
My wife was issued with a "spouse of an EEA Citizen" photo-card that expired after 5 years.

We attended the Zalaegerszeg immigration office with application forms for permanent residency one month before expiry of my wife's card. I was told I "did not need" a card at this point in time and only my wife's form was accepted. We still await the card.

At the present time I can enter Croatia (and the other non-Schengen EU countries) on a UK passport only. After Brexit this will change. According to the Croatian border policeman, if I have a Hungarian permanent residence photo-card (either EU or non-EU citizen) then I am exempt from needing an ETIAS and having my passport stamped if there is no agreement.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by almafak
I received a "Regisztracios Igazolas EGT allampolgar reszere" (Registration Certificate for EEA Citizens) after I had been here for 90 days. It has no photo and is valid indefinitely.
My wife was issued with a "spouse of an EEA Citizen" photo-card that expired after 5 years.

We attended the Zalaegerszeg immigration office with application forms for permanent residency one month before expiry of my wife's card. I was told I "did not need" a card at this point in time and only my wife's form was accepted. We still await the card.

At the present time I can enter Croatia (and the other non-Schengen EU countries) on a UK passport only. After Brexit this will change. According to the Croatian border policeman, if I have a Hungarian permanent residence photo-card (either EU or non-EU citizen) then I am exempt from needing an ETIAS and having my passport stamped if there is no agreement.
Interesting. I would be happy not to have to mess around with Visas etc as I know from friends that Visas can be a right royal pain. So, after B Day we will just need a new card which hopefully will just be a rubber stamp. And then I get to wait for Scottish citizenship! Haha! Now the stress from the last few years is dissipating as self employment is coming to an end I can try and concentrate on my Hungarian and maybe start to seriously thing about citizenship.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

My information is that after B-day when travelling around the EU you will need your UK passport (probably with a minimum of 6 months validity) backed up by a Hungarian residency card (or other EU residency card) otherwise you will be subject to the 90 day maximum stay limit. Visas will not be needed because you have EU residency.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
My information is that after B-day when travelling around the EU you will need your UK passport (probably with a minimum of 6 months validity) backed up by a Hungarian residency card (or other EU residency card) otherwise you will be subject to the 90 day maximum stay limit. Visas will not be needed because you have EU residency.
That's my understanding also.

The sooner I can swap my citizenship / passport for one of some value the better!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Sep 19th 2019 at 8:33 am.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like if you are present prior to UK withdrawal there is no need for a work permit. So, in the case of a no deal scenario all that needs to be done then is notification to the companies' local government office? Not at all clear. However I hope the company has a good idea. So should be safe then.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Looks like if you are present prior to UK withdrawal there is no need for a work permit. So, in the case of a no deal scenario all that needs to be done then is notification to the companies' local government office? Not at all clear. However I hope the company has a good idea. So should be safe then.
Hmmm - might be worth checking up on this - you don't want to blot your copybook at this point!
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Anybody received their GE ballot papers? Apparently ours were posted on 29th November but have yet to receive them.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, relevant for you? Especially that "15 year rule"?
https://www.euronews.com/2019/12/03/britons-living-in-eu-countries-denied-democracy-in-uk-brexit-election
Old Dec 4th 2019, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wolfi
Wolfi, thanks for that. The 15 year rule doesn't affect me yet. However I was interested to read about the proxy vote - in so far as we were contacted back in the summer with a strong recommendation to use a proxy (which is no good for us) which I thought odd as we have never had a problem with our post to & from the UK - until now!