Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Twin/Dual Induction hob

Twin/Dual Induction hob

Old Dec 22nd 2021, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Twin/Dual Induction hob

We're nowhere finding an architect and we really need the kitchen updated. I think it's commonsense to build new extension, them update kitchen and add fittings to the extension. But ... as mentioned ... there may be some delays before any work starts so despite my wife doing a brilliant job cooking with a Ninja 9 in 1, microwave and an additional slow cooker we have I thought maybe we should buy an electric twin/dual induction hob to make things a bit easier. I think eventually she will start to get tired of balancing things, hence the induction hob.
Looking at the wattage ... a twin/dual uses 3500 watts. Will there be a problem plugging into a normal socket?
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Twin/Dual Induction hob

3500W is 15.2 Amps. The standard socket in Hungary will supply 16 Amps (so there is usually a 16 Amp circuit breaker in the meter box) so in theory all will be OK - except here's the gotcha, if your circuit breaker is old and tired then you may get nuisance tripping which will require a few mins for the circuit breaker to cool a bit before it will reset, also if the socket is a bit old and worn then you might find the socket getting warm (along with any doggy joins in the cable that happen to be in the circuit before the in use socket) Oh and you won't be able to use anything else on that line whilst the hob in in use)
If your house wiring is aluminium then I would expect more issues than if is is copper.
Old Dec 22nd 2021, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Another problem might be:
If all appliances/sockets are connected to one circuit breaker then 16 Ampere obviously is not enough to use the hob. and the microwave at the same time.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to ask one of my local friends whether our electrics are up to the job. It's likely the twin/dual induction hob will be the only appliance plugged into the single socket. Other appliances will be connected to another socket, twin, currently used for boiler and kettle!
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to ask one of my local friends whether our electrics are up to the job. It's likely the twin/dual induction hob will be the only appliance plugged into the single socket. Other appliances will be connected to another socket, twin, currently used for boiler and kettle!
In terms of the load on the socket it is the total load on the line that counts. The supply coming from the fuse box will have more than one socket on it and it is the combined lad of all the sockets on the line that can't exceed the line rating which in Hungary is typically 16 amps. So if your target socket for the induction hob is on the same line (fuse) as the kettle socket then you will trip the circuit breaker if both are used together.

An easy way to find out what sockets are on the same line as your intended supply for the new hob is to switch off the circuit breaker supplying that socket and then see what other sockets are dead at the same time (by say plugging a lamp into each socket to see if it is live) Any other socket on the same circuit intended for the hob can't have anything switched on at the same time as the hob is in use.

I forgot to mention above that if an appliance is supplied with a plug already fitted then it is suitable to be plugged in to a socket appropriate to that plug. If the appliance comes with a bare wire then it usually needs an electrician to connect it to a dedicated supply. The instructions with the appliance will also say if an electrician is needed for the connection. Of course there are exceptions, one being a gas boiler which today come with a standard plug on the electrical supply but the socket has to be signed off by an electrician as conforming to the standard for the boiler supply.

If you decide that the circuits in your house aren't up to having a 3500W appliance plugged in then one option (if you have more than one circuit supplying the kitchen) is to get 2 single induction hobs and use them from different circuits. The fact that you have a boiler and a kettle plugged into one socket without apparent problems is perhaps a good sign because at least that circuit can cope with a high load (assuming you use them concurrently).
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Peter.
The description states "household power supply" ..
Features & details
► Slim design and portable - fast, energy saving and easy to clean. The induction hob works with a household power supply which makes it suitable for festivals and holidays etc. The excellent design makes the portable induction hob not only suitable for cooking in your kitchen, but also portable. Perfect for camping and community.
Will test the electrical supply after Christmas. Knowing myself I'd probably muck it up!
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The description states "household power supply" ..
Features & details
► Slim design and portable - fast, energy saving and easy to clean. The induction hob works with a household power supply which makes it suitable for festivals and holidays etc. The excellent design makes the portable induction hob not only suitable for cooking in your kitchen, but also portable. Perfect for camping and community.
That about says it - it's a plug and ply bit of kit.

Will test the electrical supply after Christmas. Knowing myself I'd probably muck it up!
Nah - Have some faith in your self
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Peter is absolutely right! Be careful, maybe have a look at the circuit breakers (Biztositék, Sicherungen in German) what their amperage is.
There's a shortcut re testing connectors:
Once found a little "nightlight" for granddaughter which with its plugs is put directly into a connector. So it's easy to see when the light goes off and there's no voltage.
Of course if you want total safety use a voltmeter.
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
maybe have a look at the circuit breakers (Biztositék, Sicherungen in German) what their amperage is.
The quick at a glance to check the amperage of the circuit breaker is to look at the colour of the switch / reset lever
red = 10A, grey = 16A, blue = 20A, yellow = 25A, mauve = 32A, black = 35A, white = 50A.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Many many years ago we lived in a flat in an old Edwardian building in central London. For some reason that I can't recall I was using the washing machine, the tumbler drier and my electric oven at the same time..

What a mistake! All of a sudden the was a loud "pop" and everything stopped. I'd overloaded the system so much not only did my flat not have power for the next two hours neither did anyone else living on Old Bromptom Road!

Old Dec 24th 2021, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
Many many years ago we lived in a flat in an old Edwardian building in central London. For some reason that I can't recall I was using the washing machine, the tumbler drier and my electric oven at the same time..

What a mistake! All of a sudden the was a loud "pop" and everything stopped. I'd overloaded the system so much not only did my flat not have power for the next two hours neither did anyone else living on Old Bromptom Road!
Old Brompton Road .... I know that road so well ...
Old Dec 24th 2021, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

We have a couple of night lights so will use them to check everything.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Old Brompton Road .... I know that road so well ...
We lived opposite the Coleherne Arms which on a Saturday night was shall we "interesting"!

https://lgbthistoryuk.org/wiki/Coleherne

Old Dec 24th 2021, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

We lived opposite the Coleherne Arms which on a Saturday night was shall we "interesting"!

https://lgbthistoryuk.org/wiki/Coleherne
I had a friend in UK who used to live in Earls Court above a nightclub. I forget the name of the road. Was it a problem with loud music? Nope, she and another person were allocated the two flats above .... yup, both profoundly deaf!
Old Dec 24th 2021, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably old school fuses, modern circuit breakers are usually fast enough to trip before any affect up-stream. Oh and the modern ones trip out very close to the rated current whereas wire fuses can take up to twice the rated current.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.