Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads

Trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads

Old Jun 21st 2023, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads

I'm starting to get annoyed with trees, hedges or bushes planted very close to crossroads because I can't see oncoming vehicles from both directions. I have to nudge out slowly and sometimes slam the brakes on!
This kind of thing defies commonsense because it can cause an accident.
Adding to the above a vehicle parked near a corner with crossroads causes the same problem.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:39 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads

If these roads are in a village or city it would seem like the applicable Polgarmeister could take action to take care of the problem and if it is not within his authority they should know whom can take care of the issue. Even if it is not within a village your local polgarmeister probably knows or can find out whom is responsible for road safety in your area. I would start with them first.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
If these roads are in a village or city it would seem like the applicable Polgarmeister could take action to take care of the problem and if it is not within his authority they should know whom can take care of the issue. Even if it is not within a village your local polgarmeister probably knows or can find out whom is responsible for road safety in your area. I would start with them first.
Will do.
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ever come to visit me Fen! you will not like this town.
It seems to be every junction has this problem, even roads that have nothing but nicely mown grass in front of most house will for sure have a corner house with big bushy plants blocking the view.
And not much point going to see the Mayor since his house is one of the offending properties.
There are also a number of Pedestrian Crossing where you cannot see if anyone is going to cross because of hedges, tall plants and the like, probably all design to force drivers to slow down.
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
Don't ever come to visit me Fen! you will not like this town.
It seems to be every junction has this problem, even roads that have nothing but nicely mown grass in front of most house will for sure have a corner house with big bushy plants blocking the view.
And not much point going to see the Mayor since his house is one of the offending properties.
There are also a number of Pedestrian Crossing where you cannot see if anyone is going to cross because of hedges, tall plants and the like, probably all design to force drivers to slow down.
My main worry is the increase in e-scooters in our village whereby the rider doesn't wear a helmet and/or is going too fast. I have no issue with 99.5% of cyclists in the village. They are mostly around my age +/- 15 years and cycle sensibly.

My issue with trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads is they are right at the corner so if you are coming out of a Stop/Give Way junction you can only nudge the car forward a few centimetres at a time. The roads are only wide enough for one vehicle. If two vehicles in opposite directions meet they both have to drive one side on the gravel or edge a bit further onto the grass verge.

Old Jun 22nd 2023, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My main worry is the increase in e-scooters in our village whereby the rider doesn't wear a helmet and/or is going too fast. I have no issue with 99.5% of cyclists in the village. They are mostly around my age +/- 15 years and cycle sensibly.

My issue with trees, hedges and bushes at crossroads is they are right at the corner so if you are coming out of a Stop/Give Way junction you can only nudge the car forward a few centimetres at a time. The roads are only wide enough for one vehicle. If two vehicles in opposite directions meet they both have to drive one side on the gravel or edge a bit further onto the grass verge.
They've been cutting the grass verges and trimming back the hedges and tree between my village and Miskolc for weeks now. I'm surprised that a large residential area like yours doesn't do the same.

Once you get onto the top lane leading in and out of my village, you drive through woods on a road that's only wide enough for one car. No hassle with other vehicles coming in the opposite direction providing they're not enormou., The problem comes when they bring in the harvesters which take up nearly all the width of the road. I normally pull over on to the verge, hoping the car isn't going to fall into a ditch hidden under the grass, and let the harvester driver negotiate his way past me!

Old Jun 22nd 2023, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

The best feature I ever got on my car was the 360 degree camera option. You can select "Side View" mode and see around blind corners. Every car should have this, its fantastic
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xavierx
The best feature I ever got on my car was the 360 degree camera option. You can select "Side View" mode and see around blind corners. Every car should have this, its fantastic
Which make and model do you have? Cost?