Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Trees and distance to house

Trees and distance to house

Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trees and distance to house

What are the rules on proximity of trees to a house?

We had to ask a neighbour to cut back branches on a tree near our bathroom window because it was blocking light. They have done so but lower down seems zilch! I also feel there's still not enough light and the height needs reducing. The toilet is not affected and there's so much more light in there. In the kamra it's adequate.

We'll probably do nothing but they may have to in two years time when we plan to have three exterior walls repainted.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:46 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trees and distance to house

As far as I know there are no rules in effect nation eide here in Hungary. I suppose a local governmental entity could have ordinances about trees and landscaping. In my area there are none I am aware of. My neighbours plant trees up to the boundaries. One of mine planted bamboo and now I have a bamboo grove on the backside of my house. I am not bothered about it. It shades the house and keeps the house cool in the summer. Hungarians do what they want without concern for anyone else.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
As far as I know there are no rules in effect nation eide here in Hungary. I suppose a local governmental entity could have ordinances about trees and landscaping. In my area there are none I am aware of. My neighbours plant trees up to the boundaries. One of mine planted bamboo and now I have a bamboo grove on the backside of my house. I am not bothered about it. It shades the house and keeps the house cool in the summer. Hungarians do what they want without concern for anyone else.
The wall where the three small windows are are north facing.

We are planning to plant some trees for shade in the garden. The dogs need some shaded areas. The neighbouring property on other side provides some shade most of the morning and the dogs park themselves there when we are out. When the sun is west they go to the front of our property where the east side of our house provides much more shaded relief from the heat.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
One of mine planted bamboo and now I have a bamboo grove on the backside of my house. I am not bothered about it.
I would be very bothered about having a bamboo grove near to my house ! It's very invasive, grows very fast and can damage walls and foundations if left unchecked !
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What are the rules on proximity of trees to a house?
I agree with the comment above by Jack - As far as I know there are no regs about planting distances. There is however the principle the the tree should not damage or disturb the neighbours property or their use of it.
Trees and foliage are not supposed to overhang the boundaries and you can request that they are cut back if they do, if they are not cut back within a reasonable time after the request you can cut them back yourself but what you cut back belongs to the neighbour (so put it back over the fence - which probably won't please them!) Before you cut back your neighbours trees talk to them first and if you have to cut them back write a letter first telling them when and what you intend to do, that way no surprises and perhaps less problem.
Talk to the local council to see if there are any bye-laws.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I agree with the comment above by Jack - As far as I know there are no regs about planting distances. There is however the principle the the tree should not damage or disturb the neighbours property or their use of it.
Trees and foliage are not supposed to overhang the boundaries and you can request that they are cut back if they do, if they are not cut back within a reasonable time after the request you can cut them back yourself but what you cut back belongs to the neighbour (so put it back over the fence - which probably won't please them!) Before you cut back your neighbours trees talk to them first and if you have to cut them back write a letter first telling them when and what you intend to do, that way no surprises and perhaps less problem.
Talk to the local council to see if there are any bye-laws.
I mat probably ask our plumber. He was last Saturday to talk about having a car port. His son was with him and I mentioned about neighbour driving his minibus along our grass verge to park on their side in a space too short for the minibus. They said they are not supposed to do that. That confirmed my thinking having seen many grass verges with large rocks preventing neighbours driving along a neighbouring grass verge. Funny thing is since this was explained to us the neighbour hasn't done that since. I think our plumber might have bumped into the neighbour and asked about it! Oops!
Plumber took us to a friend's property to have a look at their car port. We took photos but forgot to take measurements!
Still on the subject of car ports the son of the buyers of our Suzuki was here to help his parents with the paperwork and banking. We mentioned the car port possible location and said we may not be able to do that because of required distance from neighbours fencing to the car port. Anyway, we will check that with the mayor's office.