Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You qualify after 5 years lawful residence. A few forms*, proof of income (which you seem to have), house purchase contract, copy of passport, registration (as above) & address card, TAJ card, tax card, photos attached to application forms. Take everything to the interview!

* We used a facilitator, but with a Hungarian wife you won't need one. Firms converted to PDF and then submitted on line.
Had all of that with me, including forms filled in but they said they could not give me anything more than what I already have. Maybe now though it may be different. I thought Szeged was the better between it and Kecskemét as it is a big University city.........

I suppose I am just a bit over tired with jumping through hoops for the company, family and everyone else this year...... I didn't see anything about submitting online? But then my wife insisted I go in person as she doesn't trust anyone in a government office!!
Old Jan 4th 2021, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Had all of that with me, including forms filled in but they said they could not give me anything more than what I already have. Maybe now though it may be different.!
It is different now. From Living in Hungary I quoted above under the Visas and residency section there is

"If you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021, you need to apply for a new residency document. You must apply by 31 December 2021 at your local National Directorate General for Aliens Policing (Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság)."

We were not able to apply for the new document until the transition period ended and now we have until Dec. 2021.
Check out the relevant section for more info.

As I understand matters the change is because we have residency documents applicable to EU citizens and we need residency documents as given to 3rd country nationals.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
It is different now. From Living in Hungary I quoted above under the Visas and residency section there is

"If you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021, you need to apply for a new residency document. You must apply by 31 December 2021 at your local National Directorate General for Aliens Policing (Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság)."

We were not able to apply for the new document until the transition period ended and now we have until Dec. 2021.
Check out the relevant section for more info.

As I understand matters the change is because we have residency documents applicable to EU citizens and we need residency documents as given to 3rd country nationals.
By documents, do you mean the REGISZTRÁCIÓS IGAZOLÁS card will need to be changed over ?
Old Jan 5th 2021, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
By documents, do you mean the REGISZTRÁCIÓS IGAZOLÁS card will need to be changed over ?
I believe it is the residence card that gets changed. I am a bit out of this game because I don't have a residence card because my status here is as a "settled foreigner" and I have an "ID Card For Foreigners", it is just like the normal HU ID card except that it is green rather than blue and can't be used for crossing boarders. (This is because came here before Hungary joined the EU and came in with my Hungarian wife and kids - the bureaucracy was VERY different then !!)
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is the residence card that gets changed. I am a bit out of this game because I don't have a residence card because my status here is as a "settled foreigner" and I have an "ID Card For Foreigners", it is just like the normal HU ID card except that it is green rather than blue and can't be used for crossing boarders. (This is because came here before Hungary joined the EU and came in with my Hungarian wife and kids - the bureaucracy was VERY different then !!)
From the link you posted that would seem to be the case. Odd though as the residency card I have just been issued clearly states "unlimited". I will try & get clarification.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Exchange with our facilitator this morning -

​​​​​​

Hopefully more info tomorrow!
Old Jan 5th 2021, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Permanent Residency new rules

Bit early but out of curiosity I have registered through "Enter Hungary" portal. Reading all the choices I am a bit confused as to what process I need to go through to get my new permanent residency card based on my current permanent residency card with no expiry date. The ambassador stated it has been simplified???really. I will leave it until I have clarification on pressing the right buttons.

Last edited by enter; Jan 5th 2021 at 5:30 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently there is a requirement to use a simplified process before the end of this year to obtain a type of permanent residency.
But I do not think it is ready to use yet so I am waiting a bit for the procedure to be defined.
This is from
https://www.interrelo.com/the-new-hungarian-law-relating-to-brexit/​​​​​​​

Permanent residence

UK citizens and their third country citizen relatives holding a valid travel document, and a registration card, residence card or permanent residence card may apply for a national settlement (permanent residence) permit in a simplified procedure during the course of 2021.

The following conditions are not investigated during the application:

• place of residence and income
  • health insurance
  • uninterrupted three-year prior residence
  • one-year stay (as a supported ancestor)
  • two-year marriage with a Hungarian citizen (for spouse)
  • previous Hungarian citizen
  • minor child of settled person or refugee
  • settlement being in harmony with the interest of Hungary

Those applications where the applicant’s residence threatens public or national security or are under entry or stay ban, or ISIS warning notification about them in the police system, will be rejected.

• Same applies if the applicant provides false data, makes untrue statements, or deceives the authority.
  • Citizens having a criminal record will not receive a settlement permit either.
  • Adjoint authorities participating in the decision-making procedure must provide their opinion within 15 days.
Good news for British citizens who can credibly prove that they were living in Hungary prior to 1st January 2021, but do not hold a registration card yet. They may still request a national settlement permit.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Permanent Residency new rules

I also had a look but could not work it out either. Like you I am going to wait a bit and see if it becomes clear what we should apply for. Maybe it is just Permanent Residence, and during the process they will see you are entitled to the simplified process, and not ask for so much documentation.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you are going for dual nationality and have a Hungarian wife and children then the 'simplified nationality process' is available to you - which is less onerous in terms of language demands and some other things and I'm not sure how long you need to have been resident here, but I think that you need to have been married (to the Hungarian) for 10 years and still be together to apply.
Originally Posted by jetsam1
Not quite there then! Only 7 years......
Stop press update !!................... If you are married to a Hungarian and have joint children then the qualifying time is only 5 years
Old Jan 6th 2021, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Further -

Unfortunately the cards you have received are not national permanent residence permit (nemzeti letelepedési engedély) but another type of residency card (állandó tartózkodási kártya). I know it is a bit confusing but the national permanent residency card is for non-EU citizens, while the latter type of permanent residency is for EU citizens.

Now since you are no longer EU citizens, the new regulation (published during the very last minute on 18th December) requires you to convert your current cards to a national permanent residence permit. A national permanent residence permit provides permanent resident status and you will have the right to reside in the territory of Hungary indefinitely. The validity period of a national permanent residence permit is 5 years but you can easily extend it as you would do with your passport or driving license.

Converting between the 2 cards should be also very easy, you can do it online here and receive your new residency card within 30 days: https://enterhungary.gov.hu/eh/?en
Old Jan 8th 2021, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

I got a bit bored and decided to give it a try.
Registered to Enter Hungary online.
Created and submitted a 'permanent residence permit (settlement)' application, I just attached a scan of my passport picture page, and scans of both sides of my address and registration cards. Ignored any questions or attachments that I was allow to ignore. It was just for myself no dependants or partner. Normal UK citizen with passport etc. In the reason for application I put 'Brexit'.

I got back a response in about 20 mins.
They needed an attached CV, Appendix C' 'that said
'
Requesting national permanent residence permit for Brexit'.
signed and dated.
I also have to print out the application, sign and date it and down load it again.
Then have to make an appointment with an OIF office to finish the process in person.

A bit of a Rubik Cube but not impossible.
I will let you know how I get on.

Maybe there is a better way that someone else has found.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my partner (retired) have held a permanent residency card, registration card/health card with no end date for over 7 years. I have dabbled again on the site and I think I have found the section applicable ? it asks amongst other things like address, previous address in UK, residency card number etc. I believe "at this stage" this maybe the correct application as they have simplified the process ??? We are bog standard applicants i.e previous comments so I hope in the near future I will have definitive information to apply.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop press update !!................... If you are married to a Hungarian and have joint children then the qualifying time is only 5 years
Just the language requirement and I have been struggling to get past a certain level.
Old Jan 9th 2021, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to look into this as soon as I know which way forward we are moving for where we will live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.