Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Old Aug 15th 2021, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Originally Posted by Sachina
Here you are ....

Residence in Hungary

Go to the "forms" section on the left hand side and choose : PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN HUNGARY

I printed off every page even though some of them didn't apply to me (just to be on the safe side) You can also book an appointment at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Brilliant ... Thanks very much for that Sachina, appreciated.
I have done that but there are a number of choices ... Replacement of permanent residence permit, substitute permanent residence card, replacement of permanent residence card, application for permanent residence permit, permanent residence card ... which one to choose ? Talk about making it complex !!
One last question ... I noticed in an earlier post that someone said to make sure you sign the form using blue ink only ... should the whole form be filled out in blue ink or just the signature ? !! I don't want to be sent away for making a simple error as was the case when I forgot to take a postage stamp with me to immigration when I first applied for residency !

Last edited by hobgoblins; Aug 15th 2021 at 8:46 am.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Brilliant ... Thanks very much for that Sachina, appreciated.
I have done that but there are a number of choices ... Replacement of permanent residence permit, substitute permanent residence card, replacement of permanent residence card, application for permanent residence permit, permanent residence card ... which one to choose ? Talk about making it complex !!
One last question ... I noticed in an earlier post that someone said to make sure you sign the form using blue ink only ... should the whole form be filled out in blue ink or just the signature ? !! I don't want to be sent away for making a simple error as was the case when I forgot to take a postage stamp with me to immigration when I first applied for residency !
I filled mine out in blue ink. No problem. I have filled out forms in black ink because in South Africa where I lived before only black ink was legal on offical documents. No one queried it. Don't forget to attach a passport sized photo and photocopies of everything you think might be required. (even though they might not be) And remember to put ticks and not crosses (X) for any question requiring that type of answer.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I filled mine out in blue ink. No problem. I have filled out forms in black ink because in South Africa where I lived before only black ink was legal on offical documents. No one queried it. Don't forget to attach a passport sized photo and photocopies of everything you think might be required. (even though they might not be) And remember to put ticks and not crosses (X) for any question requiring that type of answer.

Good luck.
Blue ink it will be then !
I'm still looking at the different sub sections under the main permanent residency heading ... and not sure which to choose as none of them seem to have anything pertaining to upgrading existing residency card ... they all have tick boxes for things like married to a Hungarian national, are you an EEA member etc ... sigh ... !!
Old Aug 15th 2021, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The requirement for blue ink is historical baggage. The idea is that if it is blue ink the original and photo copies are distinguishable but now with the colour printers this is irrelevant but the demand for blue ink lives on.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

I will use blue ink to be on the safe side ! I have selected the "permanent residence card" in the sub section and hope that's the correct one ... why there isn't just a simple "renew card for post Brexit purposes" I don't know ... too simple I guess ! Downloading it is a challenge as well on my Mac ... it downloads in the Open Office format without problem but when I convert it to PDF or Word formats, the formatting goes haywire ... I don't have a printer so hope the internet cafe can print it off in Open Office format ...
Edit to add should anyone else have the same problem ... the reason the last letters of some sentences are missing on the right hand side of the downloaded forms when converting to PDF format is because ... they are like that on the downloaded forms in the first place ...

Last edited by hobgoblins; Aug 15th 2021 at 11:11 am. Reason: added
Old Aug 16th 2021, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I've done nothing. Been waiting for our new house address details to be registered with the land office. When we went to change our address on all our I.D., tax card, driving licence, they assumed we were renting as our names weren't on the system.
Not sure if to go ahead and fill in all the details with old address or wait for new address.
My Hungarian wife isn't worried. She's confident everything will be okay! I'm not!
Reading all the above it seems there should be no problem for ne to change my temporarily residence card with our house purchase contract. We did show this when we went to Miskolc Kormanyablak but as per above the official said our house was still registered to the previous owner and until the land office update their record there's nothing we can do.
I'm all in a muddle here. When I originally registered I showed proof of income and they have copies of my bank statement as proof.
Should I try the Enter Hungary website?
Old Aug 16th 2021, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Reading all the above it seems there should be no problem for ne to change my temporarily residence card with our house purchase contract. We did show this when we went to Miskolc Kormanyablak but as per above the official said our house was still registered to the previous owner and until the land office update their record there's nothing we can do.
I'm all in a muddle here. When I originally registered I showed proof of income and they have copies of my bank statement as proof.
Should I try the Enter Hungary website?
I would probably go back to the Kormanyablak and inform them that it is going to take time to have it transferred into your name ... I would have thought that the contract and proof of payment for your house would be sufficient. Hopefully you will get a more helpful office official next time !
Old Aug 16th 2021, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably go back to the Kormanyablak and inform them that it is going to take time to have it transferred into your name ... I would have thought that the contract and proof of payment for your house would be sufficient. Hopefully you will get a more helpful office official next time !
My thoughts exactly. When I first registered in August 2020 the official we saw said I could apply now for permanent residence so it seems my paperwork are in order. Just need add private healthcare policy.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Here you are ....

Residence in Hungary

Go to the "forms" section on the left hand side and choose : PERMANENT RESIDENCE IN HUNGARY

I printed off every page even though some of them didn't apply to me (just to be on the safe side) You can also book an appointment at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Would this form: APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE PERMIT be the correct one for me because I only have temporary residence card?
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

It's difficult to tell ... there are two forms that are very similar but the difference is at the top of the form ... one says "For the issue of a first permanent residence card" whereas the other says "Application for permanent residence" and that is the one I have selected. I have the "Regisztracios Igazolas" card which is not a permanent residence card as such ... but it is ... it has no end date and I had to go through the entire process of supplying all manner of documentation at the interview in immigration to get it ! It all depends upon what card, if any, you have already ... but hopefully someone else might advise both of us further ... the BMBAH forms are not very well named and their specific uses are not listed !
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to tell ... there are two forms that are very similar but the difference is at the top of the form ... one says "For the issue of a first permanent residence card" whereas the other says "Application for permanent residence" and that is the one I have selected. I have the "Regisztracios Igazolas" card which is not a permanent residence card as such ... but it is ... it has no end date and I had to go through the entire process of supplying all manner of documentation at the interview in immigration to get it ! It all depends upon what card, if any, you have already ... but hopefully someone else might advise both of us further ... the BMBAH forms are not very well named and their specific uses are not listed !
My understanding -

The "Regisztracios Igazolas" didn't have an end date but would, in time, be superseded by the permanent options available (including citizenship), as and when applicants chose to sign up for these. However, for us Brits, Brexit changed that situation in so far as it is now a requirement for those of us permanent residents, legally in Hungary prior to 2020/12/31 but not Hungarian citizens, to apply for a non EU permanent residence card which will substitute for all and any residence cards already held. So in our case we have to exchange our EU permanent residence card obtained last year for the non EU version.

I think that is right, but happy to be corrected!
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if this adds anything to what has already been discussed but here is the advice I received earlier this year -

the cards you have received are not national permanent residence permit (nemzeti letelepedési engedély) but another type of residency card (állandó tartózkodási kártya). I know it is a bit confusing but the national permanent residency card is for non-EU citizens, while the latter type of permanent residency is for EU citizens.

Now since you are no longer EU citizens, the new regulation (published during the very last minute on 18th December) requires you to convert your current cards to a national permanent residence permit. A national permanent residence permit provides permanent resident status and you will have the right to reside in the territory of Hungary indefinitely. The validity period of a national permanent residence permit is 5 years but you can easily extend it as you would do with your passport or driving license.

Converting between the 2 cards should be also very easy, you can do it online here and receive your new residency card within 30 days: https://enterhungary.gov.hu/eh/?en
This seems to accord with the UK Govt's advice -

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Aug 17th 2021 at 9:41 am.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Expatrick
My understanding -

The "Regisztracios Igazolas" didn't have an end date but would, in time, be superseded by the permanent options available (including citizenship), as and when applicants chose to sign up for these. However, for us Brits, Brexit changed that situation in so far as it is now a requirement for those of us permanent residents, legally in Hungary prior to 2020/12/31 but not Hungarian citizens, to apply for a non EU permanent residence card which will substitute for all and any residence cards already held. So in our case we have to exchange our EU permanent residence card obtained last year for the non EU version.

I think that is right, but happy to be corrected!
That sounds to be correct but still leaves the question of which form to use for our new residency card ... are we classed as permanent residents already as we have been living here prior to 31/12/2020 or are we regarded as first time permanent residency applicants ! I am guessing we are already classed as permanent residents and so only need to use the "Application for permanent residence" form rather than the "first time application for residency" form !! I guess it would have been too logical to use a heading "Post Brexit application for settled UK residents" !!
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:58 am
Account Closed

That sounds to be correct but still leaves the question of which form to use for our new residency card ... are we classed as permanent residents already as we have been living here prior to 31/12/2020 or are we regarded as first time permanent residency applicants ! I am guessing we are already classed as permanent residents and so only need to use the "Application for permanent residence" form rather than the "first time application for residency" form !! I guess it would have been too logical to use a heading "Post Brexit application for settled UK residents" !!
Again, just my understanding - You are not first time applicants and should therefore, as you suggest, use the Application for permanent residence.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I have same card as you. I, too had to provide various documentation. No questions about healthcare but I think they were satisfied I had adequate funds to pay privately.

Top of the form I have printed off says 'Application for permanent residence' but this is where it gets confusing:
Indicate the type of residence permit requested □ interim permanent residence permit (Appendix “G” is required) □ national permanent residence permit □ EC permanent residence permit

Last edited by FenTiger; Aug 17th 2021 at 10:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.