British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Transition period ends, some clarification documents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/transition-period-ends-some-clarification-documents-936340/)

Peter_in_Hungary Jan 1st 2021 7:28 pm

Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Now the transition period has ended uk.gov has issued a load of documents that may be of interest or clarify future procedures
If you subscribe to the uk.gov Brexit emails you will probably have read these in detail already (and got totally bored) - but seriously some of it may be important so it might be worth skimming the headings.
Living in Hungary - GOV.UK
Healthcare for UK nationals living in Hungary - GOV.UK
Living in Europe - GOV.UK

jetsam1 Jan 2nd 2021 4:11 pm

Re: Transition period ends, some clarification documents

Just to add, I had an appointment in the Szeged Immigration Office earlier this month. At the time they told me they had no further information as to what might be coming in terms of paperwork and applications required. I have a Registration Card with no expiry date and they told me that was the highest level registration they could offer me at that time.

The HR department of my employer (Multi National) have said that there is going to be a three year grace period for us to whatever it is we will need to do in the end.

Anyway at least as the WA is valid after this deal, I can take my life off hold.

Benny Kovacs Jan 3rd 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12952746)
The HR department of my employer (Multi National) have said that there is going to be a three year grace period for us to whatever it is we will need to do in the end.

The way I understand it is that everything stays the same for now across the EU until cards and things need renewing and then we have to re-apply but will need whatever checks/documents relevant countries require and will be processed the same as any other 3rd country immigrant.

If you are married to an EU Citizen and subsequently divorce this needs to be notified to whoever needs be as your status might be affected.

Checks will be more thorough and fingerprints taken etc.

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 3rd 2021 10:54 am

We updated to unlimited permanent residency cards last month.

Peter_in_Hungary Jan 3rd 2021 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs (Post 12952953)
The way I understand it is that everything stays the same for now across the EU until cards and things need renewing and then we have to re-apply but will need whatever checks/documents relevant countries require and will be processed the same as any other 3rd country immigrant.

If you are married to an EU Citizen and subsequently divorce this needs to be notified to whoever needs be as your status might be affected.

Checks will be more thorough and fingerprints taken etc.

If you can update to unlimited permanent residency as Expatrick did then this would be good idea. If you leave it until your current card runs out then surely you will not be re-applying but renewing

At the moment the mood music from the Hungarian state is one of helping Brits already here, give it a few years down the line this may revert to being the same as any other 3rd country. The message from the Hungarian state since Brexit started has been get residency sorted ASAP (+ driving licences etc.)

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 3rd 2021 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12952966)
If you can update to unlimited permanent residency as Expatrick did then this would be good idea. If you leave it until your current card runs out then surely you will not be re-applying but renewing

At the moment the mood music from the Hungarian state is one of helping Brits already here, give it a few years down the line this may revert to being the same as any other 3rd country. The message from the Hungarian state since Brexit started has been get residency sorted ASAP (+ driving licences etc.)

The Hungarian who assisted (& accompanied) our application said that the Government agencies are falling over themselves to help. Interestingly we initially went to the immigration office in Buda which was rammed with all nationalities but then redirected to another office in Pest which was almost empty. Dealt with quickly & efficiently by a super official.

jetsam1 Jan 3rd 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12952968)
The Hungarian who assisted (& accompanied) our application said that the Government agencies are falling over themselves to help. Interestingly we initially went to the immigration office in Buda which was rammed with all nationalities but then redirected to another office in Pest which was almost empty. Dealt with quickly & efficiently by a super official.

Yep in Szeged they were very helpful and went to check for any extra information that they could give me. I was quite surprised compared to 2014 where the staff at the Budapest office made my Hungarian wife cry.

jetsam1 Jan 3rd 2021 5:05 pm

I keep being told that as I have young Hungarian children and a Hungarian wife there is no scenario where the government would kick me out. I am wondering if there will be some kind of extra paperwork?

Otherwise dual nationality is the aim? Maybe some language teachers might actually decide to do Hungarian as a foreign language lessons! :blink:

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 3rd 2021 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12953128)
I keep being told that as I have young Hungarian children and a Hungarian wife there is no scenario where the government would kick me out. I am wondering if there will be some kind of extra paperwork?

Otherwise dual nationality is the aim? Maybe some language teachers might actually decide to do Hungarian as a foreign language lessons! :blink:

Why not just do the permanent residency thing?

jetsam1 Jan 3rd 2021 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12953150)
Why not just do the permanent residency thing?

As far as I am aware I already have that? I was presuming I would need a new card, maybe photographic but as I was still an EU citizen I could not have anything of a higher level.

My card was issued in 2014 and has no expiry date so I can only assume that is a permanent residency card.

Peter_in_Hungary Jan 3rd 2021 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12953128)

If you are going for dual nationality and have a Hungarian wife and children then the 'simplified nationality process' is available to you - which is less onerous in terms of language demands and some other things and I'm not sure how long you need to have been resident here, but I think that you need to have been married (to the Hungarian) for 10 years and still be together to apply.

jetsam1 Jan 3rd 2021 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12953156)
If you are going for dual nationality and have a Hungarian wife and children then the 'simplified nationality process' is available to you - which is less onerous in terms of language demands and some other things and I'm not sure how long you need to have been resident here, but I think that you need to have been married (to the Hungarian) for 10 years and still be together to apply.

Not quite there then! Only 7 years......

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 3rd 2021 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12953152)
As far as I am aware I already have that? I was presuming I would need a new card, maybe photographic but as I was still an EU citizen I could not have anything of a higher level.

My card was issued in 2014 and has no expiry date so I can only assume that is a permanent residency card.

No, what you have is the REGISZTRÁCIÓS IGAZOLÁS. The PR card is a photographic card, thus,
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...724582e331.jpg

jetsam1 Jan 3rd 2021 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12953164)
No, what you have is the REGISZTRÁCIÓS IGAZOLÁS. The PR card is a photographic card, thus,
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...724582e331.jpg

OK. I asked about that.................... I think as usual then the normal crossed wires.

Will need to look into it. Actually it will be easier as I have a full audited formal year of payslips rather than weird self employed crazyness. That is where I thought I would have a problem.

OK, so they let you do this straight away? Just the forms etc? Did you specifically ask for this and was there any specific information they were wanting?

Oh well as usual it can never be simple.

scrubbedexpat142 Jan 3rd 2021 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12953170)
OK. I asked about that.................... I think as usual then the normal crossed wires.

Will need to look into it. Actually it will be easier as I have a full audited formal year of payslips rather than weird self employed crazyness. That is where I thought I would have a problem.

OK, so they let you do this straight away? Just the forms etc? Did you specifically ask for this and was there any specific information they were wanting?

You qualify after 5 years lawful residence. A few forms*, proof of income (which you seem to have), house purchase contract, copy of passport, registration (as above) & address card, TAJ card, tax card, photos attached to application forms. Take everything to the interview!

* We used a facilitator, but with a Hungarian wife you won't need one. Firms converted to PDF and then submitted on line.

Decision & card arrived after about 60 days.