Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Three years yesterday

Three years yesterday

Old Jul 23rd 2023, 6:15 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,767
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Three years yesterday

Yesterday was three years since we landed at Budapest Airport. We spent the day at Radio M Mályi Plazs. We got the road train from just around the corner to Mályi-to. Two couples were supposed to join us but one had to do an urgent job in Nyekladhaza and the other only came after the other couple arrived so they could get in free via a friend of a friend who works there! As residents of Mályi it's free for us but for non-residents 1.000 forints.
There was the annual goulash competition and yes that was our lunch.
Entertainment was arranged for the evening in the form of bands and singers ... all male .... not a single female singer! We gave that a miss.
When we were on the road train I had to close my eyes because two young boys on e-scooters were trying to outrace the road train. They overtook when cars were coming in the other direction. The road train driver had to brake hard to allow them to get back on the right side of the road! I do not know what they were thinking!!!
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2023, 9:03 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 958
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years yesterday

Congratulations Nick. 3 years goes by fast. I stupidlt moved to Hungary on December1 2017 and when I arrived I discovered that 2 of the 3 gas heaters did not work. It took almost 2 weeks to get a gas repairman to come sort them out. There was no celebration it was too cold for that. I then had to return to Budapest a few days later to collect my dogs from the freight forwarder as I had them flown over here. It was even colder that day and snowing. My dogs were sure happy to see a familiar face when I got them from the airport customs hold.
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2023, 12:48 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,767
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years yesterday

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Congratulations Nick. 3 years goes by fast. I stupidlt moved to Hungary on December1 2017 and when I arrived I discovered that 2 of the 3 gas heaters did not work. It took almost 2 weeks to get a gas repairman to come sort them out. There was no celebration it was too cold for that. I then had to return to Budapest a few days later to collect my dogs from the freight forwarder as I had them flown over here. It was even colder that day and snowing. My dogs were sure happy to see a familiar face when I got them from the airport customs hold.
It sure has gone quick, plus the fact I retired nearly four years ago.
Oh dear about the gas heater that didn't work.
We looked into having our dog flown over but due to covid all pet transporters by air were closed so had to find someone to drive him over. Did your dogs cope okay flying out and what did you think of the service?
FenTiger is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2023, 3:26 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 958
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years yesterday

Originally Posted by FenTiger
It sure has gone quick, plus the fact I retired nearly four years ago.
Oh dear about the gas heater that didn't work.
We looked into having our dog flown over but due to covid all pet transporters by air were closed so had to find someone to drive him over. Did your dogs cope okay flying out and what did you think of the service?
My dogs did just fine with air travel. They had to stay at a boarding place for 5 days because they could not arrange us to be on the same flights as the dogs. They had a stop over at Frankfurt and then were sent from there to Budapest. They wound up flying Lufthansa, we would up on BA. No matter they were no worse for the wear. I was extremely happy with the service. They cost was high but being disabled there was no way I could have handled driving them over . My back cannot take riding that long
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Jul 24th 2023, 6:47 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,767
FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years yesterday

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
My dogs did just fine with air travel. They had to stay at a boarding place for 5 days because they could not arrange us to be on the same flights as the dogs. They had a stop over at Frankfurt and then were sent from there to Budapest. They wound up flying Lufthansa, we would up on BA. No matter they were no worse for the wear. I was extremely happy with the service. They cost was high but being disabled there was no way I could have handled driving them over . My back cannot take riding that long
Before we found out air transportation was not available for our dog we did consider it. With the dates to fly out being beginning of 4th week of July we were worried about the weather and environment conditions on landing, I.e. how long our dog would be cooped up in the dog crate inside the aeroplane and also on the tarmac. On top returning to Budapest Airport (cargo) terminal to pick him up we'd have to ask sister-in-law or other family member to drive us there. As well as probably needing someone to help relay any questions to us. If we needed to make any phone calls we'd be stuck!
So our dog came by road in a luxury air conditioned Mercedes MPV. The power steering failed when they were an hour from Mályi so breakdown recovery took them back to Budapest Mercedes garage. Luckily they had to parts in stock. We felt sorry for the driver because we were quarantined so she couldn't hang around for a bit of a rest before she set off. I sent the company an email to thank them for bringing our dog over but never got a response from that!
FenTiger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.