British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Taj Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/taj-card-891147/)

enter Feb 5th 2017 11:42 am

Taj Card

I have the TAJ card butneed to contact the correct department as I have a query about the monthly payments,I live in the Somogy area and got the card from Kaposvar.
Does anyone know of the postal/email address of the department,I have contacted NAV (taxation)but they cannot help.

Szeged Feb 6th 2017 12:48 am

Re: Taj Card

Phone: 1818

E-mail: [email protected]

Chat: Start Chat

From abroad: +36 (1) 550-1858

Taken from kormany ablak (Government Window) - Kormányablak - Kormányablakok - Somogy Megyei Kormányablakok

I'm not sure if that is exactly what you require but I would e-mail them asking for the correct contact details. I just googled - Társadalombiztosítási Azonosító Jelet somogyi cím telefon via google.hu.

enter Feb 6th 2017 8:15 am

Thanks Szeged,sent you a PM

Szeged Feb 6th 2017 8:40 am

PM received - In that case you are better off giving the KORMÁNYHIVATALOK - Somogy Megyei Kormányhivatal a visit, email or call. kormanyhivatal are the government offices all around hungary. They act like the UK council offices/town hall and should be able to point you in the right direction.

enter Feb 6th 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks Szeged have sent email to them see what happens

enter Jul 21st 2017 3:05 pm

I have heard from one person that your TAJ card needs renewing every 5 years,is this true? news to me
Thank you

Szeged Jul 24th 2017 11:12 am

On a new(er) TAJ Card: The expiration date of the TAJ Card is usually on the card itself - Not the case with an old(er) TAJ Card. Either way, there is no 5 year rule.

If you are here on a temporary residency permit (as an employee or as the managing director of a Hungarian firm), your TAJ Card will be valid until your residence permit expires.

If you are an EU citizen, your TAJ Card will be valid until your passport/ID expires.

NOTE: The actual validity of your social security depends on whether you are paying the contributions or not.

enter Jul 24th 2017 11:21 am

Thank you for your reply

Szeged Jul 31st 2017 5:01 pm

From the horses mouth, and following on from my previous post - This answer is in relation to EMPLOYMENT. My previous answer was in relation to a TAJ Card in general. So still no 5 year rule, but your TAJ Card will be valid depending on your employment/employment contract, if working in Hungary only for example (as opposed to being an expat):

National Institute of Health Insurance Fund
Our number: S02/200-6/2017

If your employment /employment contract will be valid for example for 2 years than the card will be issued for 2 years as well. The validity of the card is influenced by a lot of facts and circumstances.

Best regards,

dr. Gajdácsiné dr. Hegyes Enikő
head of department

Peter_in_Hungary Jul 31st 2017 8:06 pm

The TAJ card in itself does not have any function other than showing your NI number. Whilst it may have a validity time depending upon your situation for the typical Hungarian it is timeless. My TAJ card is ancient (issued in 1996 and still valid). What happens to me when I need the TAJ card is that the number is typed into the online computer and the data base at the other end gives the inquiring office the status of my NI - paid up and OK or in debt and other relevant status. So the TAJ card just gives your NI number against which the actual NI status can be checked.

Szeged Jul 31st 2017 10:27 pm

Timeless for the Hungarians - Yes, just the same as the English NI Number and English NHS Number are timeless for English people (until death).....and they both act as a Database record/entry as you describe, Peter. However, I think the real question now is: What happens after Brexit and is it worth applying for a TAJ Card at this time.....or even worth settling down in Hungary?

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 1st 2017 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12306528)
However, I think the real question now is: What happens after Brexit and is it worth applying for a TAJ Card at this time.....or even worth settling down in Hungary?

IMO to be certain (safe?) Brits should have/get status in Hungary that is independent of the UK. So being here on the basis that you are an EU citizen could be fraught with issues as I see nothing to indicate that ex-pats won't be used as disposable pawns in the Brexit game.

rickster000 Nov 23rd 2017 6:02 pm

Can anyone advise how much payments are for state healthcare (TAJ card).

I am self employed and covered through that but my wife has had private healthcare and I would like to get her state healthcare, assuming it works out cheaper.

I know it is extortionate for the first year of residency but does anyone know how much it costs after a year?

rickster000 Nov 23rd 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rickster000 (Post 12387977)
Can anyone advise how much payments are for state healthcare (TAJ card).

I am self employed and covered through that but my wife has had private healthcare and I would like to get her state healthcare, assuming it works out cheaper.

I know it is extortionate for the first year of residency but does anyone know how much it costs after a year?

I think I found the info to answer my own question: 7,000 forints per month.

I will post this in case it is useful to anyone else. There is further useful info about getting a TAJ and/or a tax number on the link below ...

Privately Pay N.I CONTRIBUTIONS
If you decide to live in Hungary as an unemployed person, perhaps through choice as a self-sufficient property owner, whereby you still wish to pay Hungarian National Insurance Contributions, you can do so by getting a TAJ Card/Number.

If you do not have a Residence Card & Address Card, for whatever reason(s), you will pay £180 per month in National Insurance Contributions. But if you do have a Residence Card & Address Card, that is more than 9 months old, you will only pay 7,000 HUF (£18.66) per month. With this knowledge it is better to get a Residence Card & Address Card, if possible, 9 months before applying for a TAJ Card/Number and working.

NOTE: If you have an EHIC Card, it will only cover your tourist/medical accidents whilst in Hungary. It has nothing to do with Hungarian National Insurance Contributions and the TAJ Card/Number, which means you will still need a TAJ Card/Number if you plan to privately pay National Insurance Contributions and/or work in Hungary.

The TAJ Card/Number, EHIC And YOUR CHILDREN
If you are travelling to Hungary as a tourist your children are automatically covered by the EHIC card in cases of emergency treatment and general accidents, as long as you got them an EHIC card before travelling of course. However, if you are going to live in Hungary with your children and/or work in Hungary, which means not using yours and theirs EHIC cards, you should register your children with your local TAJ office.

Free Treatment FOR YOUR CHILDREN
As a UK citizen living and working in Hungarian, paying towards your own TAJ (National Insurance), it means your children get free gp treatment; covered by your own TAJ (National Insurance) contributions.

Living In Hungary - Working In Hungary - TAJ Card - Tax Code