Price of wood?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price of wood?

Need to build a workbench and I need some 4x2 and 4x4. I think what I will be needing is 98mm x 48mm and 98mm x 98mm .
Just need some basic unplanned softwood. Anyone got any idea of the price I should be paying per metre?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Price of wood?

Look at OBI for wood (fa):

https://www.obi.hu/search/fa/?isi=true
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Szeged, but I was under the impression that Obi was the most expensive for wood? Our garage is fairly large and my new bench will be approx 6m long, so I will need a large quantity.
Last time I bought wood from a yard in Nagykanszia, I paid about £100 for some 4x4 and I think we were ripped off,hence why I'm asking here for a ballpark figure.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

A bit OT:
Szeged, thanks for this - hadn't thought that OBI has all its prices online, silly me!
We usually drive to the shop in Keszthely to see what prices are ...

Razorbite, you might use this price as a start - maybe a local shop will be cheaper ...

Especially if you answer: "számla nem kell" when they ask whether you need a bill ...
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razorbite101
Need to build a workbench and I need some 4x2 and 4x4. I think what I will be needing is 98mm x 48mm and 98mm x 98mm .
Just need some basic unplanned softwood. Anyone got any idea of the price I should be paying per metre?
4x4 seems a bit big for a bench, unless you are dropping tractor engines on it. When I put my bench in the workshop I decided it would be easier to use angle iron for the frame work because welding the corners and cross supports was easier than timber joints and I got more open access to the underneath.
Can you weld?
I finished up using a mixture of 40x40 and 50x50 angle iron and 25mm thick planks for the top and the shelf underneath. But then it depends what the use for the bench will be. Perhaps consider using hardwood planks for the top (e.g. acacia is v. hard, usually available, but can have a tendency to warp)