Reload this Page >

Stuck in a loop - TAJ/KATA

Stuck in a loop - TAJ/KATA

Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck in a loop - TAJ/KATA

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm trying to become self-employed but the TAJ office won't give me a TAJ number until I provide them with my business tax number. And my accountant says they can't get me a business tax number until I get my TAJ number.

A second accountant has suggested the way to get round this problem is to get a temporary TAJ number first on the back of another company or self-employed person and then soon after to change that for a permanent TAJ number and then complete the necessary self-employment registration. All of which comes with additional charges.

Is this really how it works?

I can't believe everyone goes through all this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ric
Old Apr 5th 2018, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stuck in a loop - TAJ/KATA

Just a thought - Why can't you be a standard citizen with a tax number and taj card and then turn yourself into a self-employed person or business?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Szeged
Just a thought - Why can't you be a standard citizen with a tax number and taj card and then turn yourself into a self-employed person or business?
Good question.

I tried this at first. They wrongly told me I needed to get the old E104 form from HMRC. This is them following the old process, now defunct. I have already been through all this getting my daughter's TAJ. So after explaining to them that they were wrong and that actually they themselves need to request a form (SO41) from HMRC, they said it would take them 3 months to give me a TAJ number!! I'm not sure if this is correct or if it is them just being difficult.

So, after learning this, I explained to them that I needed it urgently in order to register as self-employed. Stupidly thinking this might open up and easier route to getting it.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Update:

So I ignored the advice of two accountants and decided to try again by myself at the TAJ office.

The guy serving me spoke no English. I speak next to no Hungarian. He took my passport, address card, registration card and my TAJ application form.

Five minutes later, with barely a word spoken, he gave me my TAJ number !

And before I left, he got another staff member to tell me (in English) how I can get my TAJ card.

The moral of the story:- a lot really does depend on who you get on the day in these places.