Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by redspider
Hi Everyone! Im new to this forum. love to garden. Need to know if its ok to
trim my hydrangea, its blocking sun from my peony?
Hi and welcome to the BE forums Not sure where you are so as to advise when to prune but hopefully this link will be useful. Good luck.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

That,s that Gardening over, every job finished of rotervater cleaned servicing over, I manged to get hold of a Plough to it, complete with iron wheels, problem keeping up with it, so off with them put Tines back on, that's better, so till next Spring good digging have a nice X mas digger
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

If you are at a loose end you can come and do mine lol! I am hoping my carrots and parsnips will carry on growing for a bit as they were late going in.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:48 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be next in line for gardening help! This summer has been so hectic that I haven't had time to think never mind garden and it's looking a bit worse for wear. What time I did have had to be spent on the vegetable plots so the flower beds now need attention
Just waiting for an order of tulip and daffodil bulbs, planted a lot last Autumn but none came up, guessing they froze. Going for specimen types this year as they are supposed to be hardier, I'll mulch them well over the winter and then live in hope
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Just waiting for an order of tulip and daffodil bulbs, planted a lot last Autumn but none came up, guessing they froze. Going for specimen types this year as they are supposed to be hardier, I'll mulch them well over the winter and then live in hope
Flowerbed newbie here... Is now when daffodil and tulip bulbs should be planted?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Flowerbed newbie here... Is now when daffodil and tulip bulbs should be planted?
Well I hope so as I have just had 200 of the delivered
Sep/Oct should be about right for spring flowering bulbs, I'm going to try planting deeper and mulching this year.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fidobsa;10944763]If you are at a loose end you can come and do mine lol! I am hoping my carrots and parsnips will carry on growing for a bit as they were late going in.[/

Sory 1. no Trasport to get around and 2. Sadley PSA Levals have gone up I thought I was over this and going to Oncolgey but it looks like things have fleard up again. But next year I will have Transport so kepp in touch digger
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Bulbs are OK if left in the ground all year in UK so in theory you can plant them any time but I don't know if it is different here.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:09 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Bulbs are OK if left in the ground all year in UK so in theory you can plant them any time but I don't know if it is different here.
I think they say to plant them Sep,Oct and some Nov so they are in the ground before the frosts. I have lots of daffodils and a few tulips which were here before us and they come year after year however, they are species tulips and daffs whereas, I would like some of the newer varieties and they aren't as frost tolerant. Last year I think I planted too shallow and didn't create enough drainage so I'll try again this year and if it doesn't work, I'm giving up!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Smile Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
I think they say to plant them Sep,Oct and some Nov so they are in the ground before the frosts. I have lots of daffodils and a few tulips which were here before us and they come year after year however, they are species tulips and daffs whereas, I would like some of the newer varieties and they aren't as frost tolerant. Last year I think I planted too shallow and didn't create enough drainage so I'll try again this year and if it doesn't work, I'm giving up!
Don't give up Rural, you're correct about the planting time for spring bulbs, tulips are best planted end of october early november, depending on weather conditions of course, the rule of thumb for depth is twice the height of the bulb, however deeper is probably better, so that later in the year when you plant other things, you don't dig up the bulb as well. Also better protection from frost etc.
You could also try putting your bulbs in pots and put them somewhere where they won't freeze, then you can move the pots around the garden when in flower, and move them out of the way when finished to allow them to die back. This also helps the memory as sometimes I forget where I've planted bulbs.
If you haven't got enough large pots, I don't know if you can get the plastic baskets that you can use in ponds, in Hungary, they are definetely for sale in the uk, plant those with bulbs, again keep from frost/freezing, then put those in nice pots when about to flower, and just lift out again when finishd flowering.
Half term not long away now, so i shall be busy getting the garden ready for winter.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks TH, I was hoping you would pop by. I think last year I planted them too shallow, about twice the bulb height which would be about 10cm in most cases so this year I have went 15cm deep though I have a heavy clay soil in the top part of the garden and it freezes solid. Your mention of tubs gave me an idea though, I can plant them in a minimum of 15cm deep tubs, fill with compost then sink them into the ground - will take less time than digging individual holes in solid clay and hopefully help stop them freezing. I'll tell you what though, the arthritis in my hands isn't thanking me for all this digging
Last year I created a raised terrace, of sorts, with oak beams and ordered a large selection of plants, shrubs and trees but not having the time (when do I ever) to plan the planting, they were just plonked in and so I now have to dig up and replant about 50% of them. I ordered 3 different maples, one hasn't grown and inch, 1 is now over 8' tall and I don't have a clue where to move it to and 1 I can no longer find!!! I should have asked you for the name of your maples.
Tell Mr TH I will reply and to pop over anytime and will catch up with you at half term - will update on where things have progressed to since I last saw you
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Well it,s that time of the year to look forward to a new session, I maid the first steps on sunday 70km to the plot but enjoyed ever moment being there, exept to find that the Deer had run out of food and hunting for food they had broken down the fencing to get on to the kitchen garden, so 1 hr to put wright the damage, next was to move young trees the Acarid the wife calls them hard wood tree 30 transfer to the top what a clime 3 months enclosed in apartment then facing 200 meter 20deg. clime with trees and spade, but to sit there for a time and see all, sunshine highlighted the magnicent views, in fact job over back down maid a big pot of tee and went back stayed till light was fading att lest the time I spent surveying all around these memories will never go away so next trip as soon back from uk till end of October. so good gardening to all enjoy the rewards of a health life digger
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

gcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Digger
What a beautiful day Sunday was....all the plants in bud will be very disappointed if there is some harsh weather to come!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gcroft
Thanks Digger
What a beautiful day Sunday was....all the plants in bud will be very disappointed if there is some harsh weather to come!
Yes March 15th last year hevey Snow on ground till seconed week April deleyed ever think bu not bothhered this year just dwarf french been to go in, the rest Sunflower Earthwalker mixture of brown and terra-coloured flowers I havested a bought 3 kg. last year so all the Plot 1600m2 will be sown digger
Old Feb 17th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Will be giving the rotovator the spring service this week with hopes of getting the land prepared this week... Will be holding off on the planting until at least first week of March though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.