Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice
Default Re: Spring in the garden - what & when will you sow?

over from the uk to escape the endless rain and wind, delighted to find, snow drops, primulas and even daffs in full bloom. time to start the war of the weeds.
outside was warmer than the house inside.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

The weather here for the past two days has been glorious and warm but can't start on the gardening yet as the ground's too wet ... one of the problems living at the bottom of a valley. Normally the locals only start preparing the ground in March ready to plant either at the end of the month or the beginning of April.

Not having planted any veggies for the past two years because of complications with my leg, I went through all my packets of seeds last week, to decide which were too old to use and threw a lot away so now I've got a long shopping list of seeds to buy. Maybe tomorrow, if the weather is fine, will do a big "seed shop" ... something I enjoy almost as much as buying books!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sachina
The weather here for the past two days has been glorious and warm but can't start on the gardening yet as the ground's too wet ... one of the problems living at the bottom of a valley. Normally the locals only start preparing the ground in March ready to plant either at the end of the month or the beginning of April.

Not having planted any veggies for the past two years because of complications with my leg, I went through all my packets of seeds last week, to decide which were too old to use and threw a lot away so now I've got a long shopping list of seeds to buy. Maybe tomorrow, if the weather is fine, will do a big "seed shop" ... something I enjoy almost as much as buying books!
I have given up on all veg even spuds my ground its a clay sand mix holds no moisture and if say spuds the ground just hardens up producing miss shape even root veg just can not grow the way the intended to grow the very high temputre sends beans into thermal budding forming early flowering then no produce, so a stack of seed spare from last year, so Fill up all ground with Hellianthus at least I will have colours to enjoy with a strong pot of PG Tips digger
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sachina

There's a way of seeing if your seed is any good, to save you throwing them away. Sprinkle a small amount onto wet paper (kitchen roll) on a saucer, cover with cling film, place in warm place, keep moist, sprouts should appear within 2 weeks. Which still leaves you time before the planting season

Count or guesstimate, how many have sprouted to give you an idea of the percentage that have sprouted, this will give you the percentage of the viability of your seeds. if half have sprouted then you have 50% viability, probably worth keeping 1 in 2 will be ok,
if only 25%,
1 in 4 then not worth keeping, or just plant in spare ground, but get new packet of seed as well.
Seeds do last longer than they say on the packet, obviously a marketing ploy to keep you spending.
good luck
Old Feb 18th 2014, 3:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
Will be giving the rotovator the spring service this week with hopes of getting the land prepared this week... Will be holding off on the planting until at least first week of March though.
Maybe a bit later as temps expected to go below zero next week and a few times during March - would check again nearer the time before putting anything tender in....
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Maybe a bit later as temps expected to go below zero next week and a few times during March - would check again nearer the time before putting anything tender in....
As ever wise words from the boss lady Nothing tender goes in till April as a general rule but tend to get our onions out quite early, as ever at this time of the year I am excited about the appearance of Asparagus in 4-6 weeks time
Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

My garden is apparently starting to bloom and this year, the bulbs have survived and are coming through.... Can't wait to see them
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

We brought some crocuses with us and we planted them on the verge outside our house. They look very pretty. Unfortunately someone in the village likes them too and has dug up two bunches Still we shall take it as a compliment !!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:18 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Oh the cheeky so and so's Cathy - bet they plant them at the back of the garden as well so that you can't see them
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well we are all prepped for planting just waiting to ensure that the frosts stay away, but the first blossom opened on one of our plum trees today. Nigh on 3 weeks earlier than it has opened in any of our 6 springs here
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:07 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
My garden is apparently starting to bloom and this year, the bulbs have survived and are coming through.... Can't wait to see them
We fly out on Friday - can't wait!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by llareggub
Well we are all prepped for planting just waiting to ensure that the frosts stay away, but the first blossom opened on one of our plum trees today. Nigh on 3 weeks earlier than it has opened in any of our 6 springs here
We have blossom on our almond tree but not on plum trees...like you we are prepping but are wary
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my plum tree is in blossom, even the part that half snapped off due to the weight of fruit last year! I should really prop up the damaged bit and tape it up or something.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

There is a very slight ground frost out there today with evening temps looking fairly cold out here in the east for the next 10 days or so...

Feet up an relax then I guess, off to photographs some baby piggies for a friend this morning with no doubt lashings of pálinka!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 7:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Sun is shining here, sitting in the conservatory with a cup of tea watching the little black ducks (don't know what type they are)jump from the stream and run across the garden, looks like it's going to be a warm one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.