Speeding Fines

Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Fines

Not sure about safer roads. They might be more careful in and around towns and villages but I'm sure they'll still overtake on blind bends and continuous white lines.
I'm a biker and I've never felt safe on the roads over here due to other reckless drivers/riders.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Not sure about safer roads. They might be more careful in and around towns and villages but I'm sure they'll still overtake on blind bends and continuous white lines.
I'm a biker and I've never felt safe on the roads over here due to other reckless drivers/riders.
I agree, some of the overtaking I have seen here has been shocking. My husband is a biker but we sold it before we came here (which I am personally pleased about for safety reasons). People here tend to overtake in towns and villages too which I find bizarre as well as dangerous
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

londonsteve has a spectacular aura aboutlondonsteve has a spectacular aura aboutlondonsteve has a spectacular aura about

Just to add my tuppence worth, I'm a biker as well. I felt better looked after on two wheels in Budapest than in London. People were more switched on and more respectful about your safety zone. Most people are in London too, but 10% of people are obstructive and dangerous towards you here whereas in Budapest the percentage was more like 2%.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:39 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Well Polgardi, as you are now officially resident (well done you), it will have to be Hungarian plates. As a resident, you have (off the top of my head) 3 months to register your vehicle or buy a Hungarian car..
Off i go again hijacking another thread May I ask if the general feeling is it is best to buy a hungarian car or to bring a car with you and register it. I would appreciate opinions on this as we are currently deciding if it is best to sell our car in UK and buy one when we move to Hungary or buy one now and register it when we arrive.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:56 am
Just Joined

londonsteve has a spectacular aura aboutlondonsteve has a spectacular aura aboutlondonsteve has a spectacular aura about

Hungarian used cars are very expensive compared to the UK. There are also way too many ex German imports with clocked mileages and discarded service histories. It's not unknown for cars to have 300k kms removed from their odometer and to find a service bill amongst the paperwork indicating that the car had already done a much higher mileage years ago! If you're in the market for a new or one year old car in Hungary the dealers will do you a good deal at the moment, as they have so little business. But I wouldn't advise bathing among the sharks of the Hungarian used car market. A 6 year old Mondeo, by way of example, will be half the price in the UK, the older the car gets the starker the price difference.

Only trouble will be the registration if you bring a UK car with you, but I'd rather have a better car in the first place and deal with the bureaucracy than buy a car locally for the sake of easier admin.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:16 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Thanks for that really appreciate your feedback
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Are we not then back to the whole Hungarian Driving Licence issue and registration card?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

As per usual my advice is always to bite the bullet, take a big hit and buy a Hungarian registered car.It will be better in the long run. There are actually plenty of cars about that were originally Hungarian from new and they tend to have very low mileages here. Don't chance it with an English registered car when you live here permanently.