Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

South West Balaton

South West Balaton

Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

lulu122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South West Balaton

I'm just looking at houses for sale on the internet and the houses south west of the lake seem to be about 4 times cheaper than the ones on the north west, is this because there is less tourism in the south?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South West Balaton

Hi Lulu

My guess would be the closer proximity to Budapest. I am not sure that it is 4 times more expensive as there are still bargains to be found in the NW albeit not on the lake. I don't what websites you are looking at but I would say it is maybe 1.5 times more expensive in the NW. I do not think it is the question of tourism as the area around HEVIz is very popular particularly with rich Russians.
Hope that helps...
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:46 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

It is essential to spend an hour or so in each village so you pick up the character & feel - If you spent time in Jesmond & time in Jarrow you would quickly understand the reason for price differentials. Villages on the uplands north of the Balaton are in the main very beautiful. I don't know the southern area well.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulu122
I'm just looking at houses for sale on the internet
An acquaintance of mine recently got a house via the internet - He got the details from the web site that directed him to a local estate agent. The local estate agent had the house priced 500,000huf lower but as he was already registered with the internet site he was stuck paying 2 lots of commission.

The best way to buy a house IMO is to get out there and look for the 'Eladó' signs in a village or place that you like
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:38 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

John is spot on. Houses are more expensive to the North of the lake though, as Cathy pointed out, not usually as much as 4x. Though certain agents are selling at 100% commission.

You only need to look at the statistics for crime, unemployment or other social factors to understand why there is a price difference or, as John said, spend some time in different village.