Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Some Hungarian women: mad, bad, dangerous, jealous?

Some Hungarian women: mad, bad, dangerous, jealous?

Old Jun 2nd 2023, 3:04 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some Hungarian women: mad, bad, dangerous, jealous?

So we're talking about my wife.

Let's put it in context: she has 2 degrees from Budapest's best university, ie BSc and MSc. She also has an MBA from a UK university - you never did say thank you for that dissertation, darling.

Anyway: she's not obviously thick.

She also held senior jobs in various multinationals.

Anyway: jealousy.

So during pandemic I gave our close neighbour Kata some of our Erigeron. Kata came by to have a look at my garden, admired the Erigeron (purple) - so of course I immediately said let's grab you some roots/ cuttings. All gardeners would do the same thing. Kata is a perfectionist gardener; her garden is immaculate/ she watches Monty and GW religiously (all free on YouTube etc, no VPN needed) - speaks great English and won't let me speak Hungarian to her, I guess most of you ran into that. She's a perfectionist gardener - I'm just lazy, ie we prefer to say wildflower gardeners plus my son does the heavy lifting.

Anyway a year later I went round to Kata's garden. She'd turned my wee Erigeron offering into about 15 new purple Erigeron and they looked great.

So in my wisdom I told my wife about the Erigeron. It was like hiss, spittle, blue fire, flames coming out of her ears. You just go back there right now and DEMAND she gives you back the Erigeron!

Obvs I didn't comply. Kata is about 70 and I think had a cancer scare.

Another one - also in Pandemic - our Peonies had a great year - I sort of estimated 3000 flowers, mostly 4 common colours but I have some more interesting ones as well.

Erzsi and Rozsi both came round to admire my wee patch. Rozsi always gives me various plants plus Erzsi forces a couple of palinkas down my throat when I pay a visit to admire her garden, they are both widows aged about 80!

They liked my 3000 peonies, so of course I said: ladies, cut yourselves as many as you'd like and handed over the secateurs. They took about 10 small bunches each.

So later I brightly told my wife all this - and it was the same old story: what the hell are you doing giving away our flowers? Er, we had 3000, now we've got 2900?

Obvs I didn't get anywhere.