Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Solicitor's fees

Solicitor's fees

Old Nov 15th 2015, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice
Default Solicitor's fees

Rather urgent!
Can anybody please advise me on solicitor's fees for a civil matter?
Thank you.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solicitor's fees

A typical fee for representation in court would be 10,000huf. But on top of that would be preparation of the case and this will depend upon the case and how complex it turns out to be. (one case I know of was charged 10,000ft for a court appearance and 25,000ft for the preparation, but each case is different)

My advice would be to go to the solicitor of your choice and ask.

If you are part way through and are surprised at a bill I'm afraid that I don't know what you can do other than negotiate. (I suspect that there must be a grievance procedure (as in the UK) but I have no idea what it is).

If you are going to start a case then go to the solicitor early on as the letters you may write and the wording of those letters will affect the ability to progress things through court.

A solicitor should be able to give you a quote for the first part of the case - up to the first hearing anyway. Get a contract from him quoting fees so that you can claim costs when you win. The solicitor should sort this out anyway, but make sure he understands you want to claim costs from the other side when you win. Getting costs are not automatic here!

In my experience solicitors here are not on the gravy train as they are in the UK!

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Nov 15th 2015 at 5:27 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A typical fee for representation in court would be 10,000huf. But on top of that would be preparation of the case and this will depend upon the case and how complex it turns out to be. (one case I know of was charged 10,000ft for a court appearance and 25,000ft for the preparation, but each case is different)

My advice would be to go to the solicitor of your choice and ask.

If you are part way through and are surprised at a bill I'm afraid that I don't know what you can do other than negotiate. (I suspect that there must be a grievance procedure (as in the UK) but I have no idea what it is).

If you are going to start a case then go to the solicitor early on as the letters you may write and the wording of those letters will affect the ability to progress things through court.

A solicitor should be able to give you a quote for the first part of the case - up to the first hearing anyway. Get a contract from him quoting fees so that you can claim costs when you win. The solicitor should sort this out anyway, but make sure he understands you want to claim costs from the other side when you win. Getting costs are not automatic here!

In my experience solicitors here are not on the gravy train as they are in the UK!
Thanks Peter. I have been quoted a "UK" £ rate of £30/ hour and thought that might be too high.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds a bit high for Hungary, unless its in a Budapest fancy law office (Oh and a bit low for the UK)

If you have time - get another quote
Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I just asked my wife. A friend of hers is an "ügyvéd". She asks between 5 000 and 12 000 HUF if she has to answer some questions or writes a letter etc ...
Old Nov 16th 2015, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That sounds a bit high for Hungary, unless its in a Budapest fancy law office (Oh and a bit low for the UK)

If you have time - get another quote
It was south Balaton (Zala county) area - between 5000-10,000 HUF sounds better.
Am still clarifying the fees, thanks for your advice
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolfi
I just asked my wife. A friend of hers is an "ügyvéd". She asks between 5 000 and 12 000 HUF if she has to answer some questions or writes a letter etc ...
Danke Wolfi, mal sehen was passiert
We'll see what happens!