British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Smallholdings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/smallholdings-948182/)

FenTiger May 26th 2023 1:29 pm

Smallholdings

I'm certain there was a thread on this topic. But the search on my mobile lists other countries.

What are the rules about having a smallholding?

I ask because on social media a newcomer from the city to our village raised the issue about not being able to keep up with garden maintenance. Reason being having to work very long shifts. The newcomer added mention about what they should expect if their neughbour/s run a smallholding with animals, i.e. noise, smells, etc. Obviously if newcomers find it annoying then they should ask themselves why they moved to their property next to a smalldolding.

But if someone bought a plot with no history of a smallholding and started one up do they need to ask permission from the mayor?

Bill Sykes May 26th 2023 7:13 pm

Re: Smallholdings

I doubt if you could have a serious objection if somebody wants a few chooks and maybe a pig for the killing.

One of our neighbours has gone in for the decorative chooks, which I kinda like, they went for allsorts (very pretty) and a couple of roosters.

All good.

Another neighbour has goats, horses and chooks.

Why would I object?

Peter_in_Hungary May 26th 2023 7:14 pm

You would have to ask at the local council as villages can have their own rules.
However chickens (including cockerels) will almost certainly be allowed (at the end of the day cockerels don't make much more noise than a lot of Hungarian dogs!) , larger animals there may be some restrictions - ask the council. Pigs should not smell if they are kept properly and I recall a proposal from central government some time back that would have enshrined the right to have a 'cottagers pig' in rural villages but I can't remember what became of it.

In the absence of any local laws you would probably have to wait until a problem occurs before any action can be taken but as you said if you don't want the life of a rural village - why move there.

Jack_Russells4ever May 26th 2023 7:41 pm

There are and have been in my village neighbours with Horses, Donkeys, Pigs, Goats , Sheep and chickens. It does not seem like it is a problem to have a few farm animals for personal usage and sustanance. City folk should stay in the city if they are bothered by things that go on in the villages and rural settings found in Hungary.

FenTiger May 26th 2023 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13194673)
You would have to ask at the local council as villages can have their own rules.
However chickens (including cockerels) will almost certainly be allowed (at the end of the day cockerels don't make much more noise than a lot of Hungarian dogs!) , larger animals there may be some restrictions - ask the council. Pigs should not smell if they are kept properly and I recall a proposal from central government some time back that would have enshrined the right to have a 'cottagers pig' in rural villages but I can't remember what became of it.

In the absence of any local laws you would probably have to wait until a problem occurs before any action can be taken but as you said if you don't want the life of a rural village - why move there.

Hey, I never said I didn't want a rural life but if a neighbour decided to set up a smallholding with various animals which historically had nevét happened on that plot.

Don't forget I've been visiting Hungary for 16 years before we moved here so there's a plot or actually two plots I know never had a "rural" or smallholding.

Bill Sykes May 26th 2023 9:15 pm

Fentiger - maybe just get used to it. Sounds like you are not so happy for your neighbours to be living their lives?

FenTiger May 26th 2023 10:03 pm

You joined May 2023 so what knowledge and experience do you have about smallholding "law"?

FenTiger May 26th 2023 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes (Post 13194687)
Fentiger - maybe just get used to it. Sounds like you are not so happy for your neighbours to be living their lives?

Where have I said I am not happy for my neighbours living their lives?

Sachina May 27th 2023 7:46 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13194636)
I'm certain there was a thread on this topic. But the search on my mobile lists other countries.

What are the rules about having a smallholding?

I ask because on social media a newcomer from the city to our village raised the issue about not being able to keep up with garden maintenance. Reason being having to work very long shifts. The newcomer added mention about what they should expect if their neughbour/s run a smallholding with animals, i.e. noise, smells, etc. Obviously if newcomers find it annoying then they should ask themselves why they moved to their property next to a smalldolding.

But if someone bought a plot with no history of a smallholding and started one up do they need to ask permission from the mayor?

I think you'll find there are regulations and restrictions over the use of land in a residential area.

I live in a rural area where if I so wished I could keep poultry, or animals without any problem. A friend of mine owns a holiday home a few plots down the road from me. The people next door to her have a smallholding with free range poultry, goats and a couple of horses. She says the stench from the poultry is overwhelming - even I can smell it on a hot day, and the noise is almost non stop! I can't imagine permission being granted in a suburban setting. But I could be wrong.

Peter_in_Hungary May 27th 2023 8:15 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13194677)
Hey, I never said I didn't want a rural life but if a neighbour decided to set up a smallholding with various animals which historically had nevét happened on that plot.

Don't forget I've been visiting Hungary for 16 years before we moved here so there's a plot or actually two plots I know never had a "rural" or smallholding.

The local council regulations will apply - which can vary between councils so you would need to check with your council, after that the normal rules of nuisance and veterinary standards will apply.

FenTiger May 27th 2023 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 13194727)
I think you'll find there are regulations and restrictions over the use of land in a residential area.

I live in a rural area where if I so wished I could keep poultry, or animals without any problem. A friend of mine owns a holiday home a few plots down the road from me. The people next door to her have a smallholding with free range poultry, goats and a couple of horses. She says the stench from the poultry is overwhelming - even I can smell it on a hot day, and the noise is almost non stop! I can't imagine permission being granted in a suburban setting. But I could be wrong.

When we were living with my wife's mother if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction we could smell manure from further down the hill. In all the years I'd been visiting Hungary that plot never had any animals until a couple of years ago. Luckily it wasn't too bad. I've no idea what it's like for those who live near it.

There's a farm on the edge of the village and it's been there forever so I am very surprised alot of new houses are being built there. There's those furry pigs, goats and a couple of horses.

Peter_in_Hungary May 27th 2023 8:31 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13194734)
There's those furry pigs, .

They are mangalica pigs and have a fat that is a lower melting point than ordinary pigs and is deemed less harmful than other animal fats. They are an old breed linked to the English Tamworth pig. They take longer to produce (so more expensive) but have a fashion (cult) following so the market for their produce is fairly strong

FenTiger May 27th 2023 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13194736)
They are mangalica pigs and have a fat that is a lower melting point than ordinary pigs and is deemed less harmful than other animal fats. They are an old breed linked to the English Tamworth pig. They take longer to produce (so more expensive) but have a fashion (cult) following so the market for their produce is fairly strong

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...28ae471b31.jpg
Not a good photo but hey here they are.

Sachina May 27th 2023 9:00 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13194734)
When we were living with my wife's mother if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction we could smell manure from further down the hill. In all the years I'd been visiting Hungary that plot never had any animals until a couple of years ago. Luckily it wasn't too bad. I've no idea what it's like for those who live near it.

There's a farm on the edge of the village and it's been there forever so I am very surprised alot of new houses are being built there. There's those furry pigs, goats and a couple of horses.

There's a lot of difference in the smell of horse/cow/pig manure to that of chicken manure which is far more pungent. I lived and worked for two years on a chicken farm - 5000 birds - and I still haven't got the smell out of my nostrils.

FenTiger May 27th 2023 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 13194741)
There's a lot of difference in the smell of horse/cow/pig manure to that of chicken manure which is far more pungent. I lived and worked for two years on a chucken farm - 5000 birds - and I still haven't got the smell out of my nostrils.

:goodpost: