Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Getting married in Hungary

Getting married in Hungary

Old Nov 15th 2016, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting married in Hungary

Has anyone (English) been through the marriage process here in Hungary?
Pro's and con's, Up's and downs' Simple/difficult?
Opinions sought from both practical and legal perspectives.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in Hungary

We looked into it before moving here but the local church wouldn't marry us as we'd both been married previously. We never looked into a hotel wedding though. Everything seemed much simpler and more straightforward in England so we did it there.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to presume that a UK citizen resident in Hungary would have the same regulations as a Hungarian. My 2 kids (?) got married here but they are dual nationals. The State wedding is carried out by the notary (or other registered official) from your local council. The ceremony takes place in the local council office, or can take place anywhere else of your choosing. (My daughter decided to have her state wedding in the field above our house because it has a nice view and good trees for shade) The cost goes up if it is not in the council office or/and at a weekend. We can't remember the cost, but we think less than 20,000HUF (outside and a weekend) You will need an interpreter if you don't speak Hungarian well enough to go through the ceremony.

The Hungarian State does not recognise church weddings so if you want a church wedding then you will have to have 2, often on the same day but do not need to be. The state wedding can be in the church but this is VERY unusual and it won't be signing the register like the UK but the whole civil wedding service complete with vows, so both my 2 got married twice on the same day once in the church and once by the State (after the church wedding).

My daughters now sister in law (a Hungarian) married a UK chap and when thy looked at where to have the wedding they decided on Hungary because it was so much cheaper, even though the English family side was given air tickets and hotel paid.

As with a wedding anywhere book early to avoid disappointment.
Talk to the local council about dates, places, legal notification, birth certificates etc.
If you want a church wedding talk the the local Priest/Vicar/Rabbi (delete as required) separately from the council, they have nothing to do with each other.
Wedding dresses, cakes, bands, and everything to do with weddings is so much cheaper here e.g we hired a marquee for my daughters wedding - a shade under 600 quid, my sister in the UK did the same for her daughter and the cost was 4000 quid. Some difference,
If you are not in Budapest then ask around as there will be someone 'local' who makes wedding cakes, ditto local wine cellars and caterers and go on reputation, local services can all make the happy day so much more affordable.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
We looked into it before moving here but the local church wouldn't marry us as we'd both been married previously. We never looked into a hotel wedding though. Everything seemed much simpler and more straightforward in England so we did it there.
That will depend upon the priest/vicar
Language may be the problem - otherwise we found the wedding ceremony simple to arrange, the reception (for 120) took a bit of sorting, but then we did the organising ourselves, (cost issues!)
Old Nov 15th 2016, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, Peter has covered everything I needed to know.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Thanks guys, Peter has covered everything I needed to know.
We all looking forward to the wedding invite!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my wife had one wedding (in UK) and a reception each in UK and Hungary. The Hungarian reception cost 1/10th of the reception in UK! Suffice to say I now wish we had used our UK reception fund for inviting over some of my wife's family and had a smaller UK reception! Ah, well, can't win them all!
Old Nov 16th 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

If all Falls its faster to get a Divorce than getting married,4 weeks "I am free", she even paid 60,00 huf. to get rid of a grumpy old man digger47
Old Nov 16th 2016, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
We all looking forward to the wedding invite!
Don't get your hopes up!
This is just one of the options I am looking at to simplify life for those left behind when I eventually kick the bucket.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The British Consulate will marry same sex couples.