Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Shortage of wood!

Shortage of wood!

Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shortage of wood!

Several people have mentioned that wood has been somewhat scare this year. I was given an explanation but can't quite remember - I think it was to do with the ground being wetter and softer than usual and not being able to get the machinery and trucks where they were needed. Perhaps also that much of the wood was being bought up for wood production and thus less was available for firewood.

Just wondering if this is a local problem or is it widespread?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shortage of wood!

There's definitely not a shortage up here. Infact I've noticed more adverts for firewood this year than in previous years.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to be plenty in Balatonszentgyorgy at about 9500 or 10500Huf a cube depending on type. You can see the woodyard as you come over the railway bridge into the village on the right hand side.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:42 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notalab
Seems to be plenty in Balatonszentgyorgy at about 9500 or 10500Huf a cube depending on type. You can see the woodyard as you come over the railway bridge into the village on the right hand side.
Somebody said they tried there and they had no seasoned wood - only green wood?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh! OK, I got mine from there in the Summer. There are a couple of others in B'szentgyorgy, No. 4 [and I think No. 11] Petofi Sandor utca by the railway station. Don't know what supplies they have a the moment.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Notalab
Oh! OK, I got mine from there in the Summer. There are a couple of others in B'szentgyorgy, No. 4 [and I think No. 11] Petofi Sandor utca by the railway station. Don't know what supplies they have a the moment.
Fortunately, he ended up getting some, though sadly it was because an elderly man in the village died and he bought his supply
He is in the Marcali area so perhaps it was a localised problem as 4 or 5 different suppliers said they were low on stock though some did have green wood.