Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Septic tank (where to buy)

Septic tank (where to buy)

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Septic tank (where to buy)

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Polly, life is much easier in Croatia because so many people speak English. I was in Budapest last night, trying to get from the airport to my car parked in Kelenfold after midnight with no Metro trains running. There were bus and tram passengers who spoke English and advised me but none of the drivers did. That is in the capital, in Croatia I am mostly in small towns and small villages and yet it is easier to find people who speak English. I had to go to England for a funeral and needed to leave my dog with someone. My next door neighbour in the tiny village in Croatia speaks very good English and she offered to have Charlie for me when I told her about my trip.
Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it there. Shame there isn't a forum on here. I would like to know more, will have a look online.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Not totally OT...
Are there grants or funding available to connect to the mains system? When we bought our house we were told we were connected....but we're not. There is a connection point in our garden but the house was never connected to it. Each year we get a "fine" based upon the amount of water we use because we are not connected. We contacted a couple of plumbers but neither were keen on doing the job ; maybe because the house is valyog and the connection is at the front and the current waste outlet is at the back.
We are planning on a new bathroom in a different place and connecting that to the mains although the waste pipe will have to run above ground along one side of the house when we do this. Hopefully this way we can avoid the annual fine.
The grants were to support the infrastructure of the mains drains. At the time of the infrastructure build there was a job lot price for connection (at least in our village) but now that is all done and dusted you will be on your own to connect the house to the mains.

IMO it is nor a good idea to run the drain above ground as I would expect it to freeze up in the winter and having a 100mm pipe full of ice until the spring thaw won't be any fun - especially when you pull the chain!!

My drain pipe is a bit marginal with 30cm of earth over it but so far (3 years) no problems,

One way around the problem is to put a macerateor pump in your cess pit (they come with float switches so they are automatic) and then run a small bore pipe at a good depth to the mains connection. This is a standard fix, approved by the water co. for installations that are down hill from the main sewer line. (they will also have a (or 2) non-return valves for safety)

If your new bathroom is not convenient for your cess pit then you can construct a new chamber (about 1m3 invert volume) connect the bathroom and kitchen etc. and put the pump in the new chamber. using a pump and a small bore pipe outflow also may mean less digging up of concrete as within reason routing is not such an issue. Down side the pump uses electricity and eventually will fail.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jun 22nd 2016 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it there. Shame there isn't a forum on here. I would like to know more, will have a look online.
If we get a swell of members , interests and post, then it is possible but we need the interest first.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter.
For the new bathroom I would have no choice but to run the waste pipe above ground as the exit through the external wall is about a metre above ground on the other side. My intention was to attach the pipe to the wall, build a box around it and fill the box with insulation. Another issue here is that the pipe will also have to turn 90 degrees to pass along the front of the house.
I like the idea of the macerator pump but again, the issue is with the amount of concrete that would need to be dug up and replaced and we just don't have the money for it, although it would be an opportunity to improve the driveway.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

You could contact the people who drill boreholes to see if they could bore a roughly horizontal hole under the concrete. Alternatively, you could hire a petrol stone cutter, the sort they use on road works etc and cut a shovel wide slot in the concrete. You might even be able to cross cut the material you are removing to form slabs you can slot back afterwards.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Borehole drills go down, no way can they go horizontal! However if you want to go under the concrete then a mole will do it. I'm not sure what the Hungarian name is but it is a bit of kit that pulses under hydraulic pressure and the design of the head is such that as it pulses it pulls its self forward. They use them for laying cables and alike under roads when they don't want to disturb the road.

How long is the bit of concrete that you don't want to dig up?

The usual way to take a soil pipe out is to go down internally to the correct outside depth and then go through the wall - bin there, dun that and got the tee shirt - it can be done with care without making too much mess of the floor.