Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Selling property in budapest

Selling property in budapest

Old Jul 21st 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Juliska is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling property in budapest

We have just sold a flat in Budapest,the sale is completed,2 weeks ago but now had an E-Mail off the buyer saying there is something wrong with the heating system and we should pay for it,as far as we were concerned it was all working when we sold it,we do not know the law in Hungary,where do we stand,does anybody know,we live in the uk.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling property in budapest

Hi Juloska and welcome to the BE forums.

It would really depend on what is stated in the contract and what the buyer is claiming. Does it state, as some do, that you are responsible for any undisclosed faults or problems? Did the buyer claim to have used the system and then it broke or that when using it for the first time, it did not work?

The chances are, it might be something simple cost very little to repair, so if there is a chance you are liable, would be worth finding out what the problem is.

Should the contract not have any clauses mentioning unseen or undisclosed problems or anything relating to the system - my opinion is that they should have checked it on the day of the handover and brought the problem to your attention then.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that I have read the contract and I cannot see anything in it that says I'm responsible once it's sold.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliska
Thank you for that I have read the contract and I cannot see anything in it that says I'm responsible once it's sold.
Assuming they took immediate possession, they would struggle to even have a claim against the agent should they have advertised the system as being in full working order (which few do). This should have been checked and any issues discovered during the day of completion inspection or once they had taken possession. Even during the summer when heating wouldn't generally be used, two weeks is stretching it to report a problem.
This of course is only my opinion as I am not a legal representative but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you
I will let you know what happens
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:55 am
Just Joined

The estate agent that had all the work carried out has said he will pay for the work to be carried out to make everytng right
Old Jul 25th 2014, 10:13 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Excellent news, bet you're relieved