Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

Old Feb 9th 2023, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Changing the car after 30 months will cost a lot in deprecation plus a lot of instant deprecation immediately you drive the new car off the forecourt, not to mention the other charges associated with a new car.

If you like the car you have is there any way to keep it rather than swap for a bigger car for the (occasional ??) week-end away?

What about a roof rack with a top box (prices from 40,000 to 250,000 huf) for the change of clothes etc. and the dogs in the car.
Will the dogs fit in the back behind the rear seats (with a dog guard) ? and if there are only 2 of you then luggage on the back seats in soft bags.
I'm getting a very good price. There is not enough room in the boot for two dogs in a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross. There's no way I'd squeeze the dogs in the boot. I'm a responsible dog owner and their welfare is high on my agenda.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

+1
selling cars .....
The buyer pays the tax
Electric cars (not hybrids) are exempt.
Phew - was worried I'd have to pay the tax on the car we are selling. That'd mean being double taxed!!

I better check our friends know they will have a used car purchase tax to pay themselves. Funny that in UK no tax to pay on a private purchase or sell.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Phew - was worried I'd have to pay the tax on the car we are selling. That'd mean being double taxed!!

I better check our friends know they will have a used car purchase tax to pay themselves. Funny that in UK no tax to pay on a private purchase or sell.
I've only just emailed our friends' son about the tax. Not had a reply yet so assume he's going to mention his parents. They were planning to buy another car but wanted to view it first. That was only 0.5M HUF less than my car, older by 3 years, and additional 40.000km on the clock. I remember they told us the price for that car but never mentioned anything about the tax to pay on it. I'm certain they are aware tax would have had to be paid on top of the sale price.
Ah, well, will have to see what happens.
Peter_in_Hungary - you mentioned selling/buying cars to/from friends can be fraught ..... I'm praying they already know about the tax situation. Could end up as a withdrawal of my offer. Payment terms, deposit, balance to pay and keys, not yet agreed. Had there been a contract for that I reckon it would be more difficult to resolve. Looking ahead to June we're hosting a 40th wedding anniversary for them at our place . They're paying for food. We just provide the venue. Ah, well, will have to see what happens.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Problems (trading cars with friends) usually stem from defects (real or imagined) arising post sale.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Problems (trading cars with friends) usually stem from defects (real or imagined) arising post sale.
I do remember the same friends bought a car off another friend .... yup .... had some defects .... needed a new clutch .....
My Suzuki SX4 has been regularly serviced.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Nick
If the prospective purchasers are Hungarian and have previously had cars they should know about the purchase tax when they buy a car. The tax is based upon the age of the car and power of the the engine.

By the way the annual road tax has to be paid by the person who is registered as the owner on Jan. 1st. So you will have to pay the annual road tax (for the whole year).
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick
If the prospective purchasers are Hungarian and have previously had cars they should know about the purchase tax when they buy a car. The tax is based upon the age of the car and power of the the engine.

By the way the annual road tax has to be paid by the person who is registered as the owner on Jan. 1st. So you will have to pay the annual road tax (for the whole year).
We just our annual road tax and it's split in two halves. Will be paying just six months.
I agree about the purchase tax for used cars. I'm puzzled why this has yet to be discussed. As at 01:00 Saturday 24th not yet had reply from friends son about the purchase tax. He's my private health care insurance, car insurance and house insurance guy! If things go all wrong ... I'd be looking for replacement ....
Old Feb 24th 2023, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We just our annual road tax and it's split in two halves.
We've just had ours as well - 2 halves but at 11600 huf per year we always pay the lot at once because we always forget the 2nd half until we get a nasty letter and a late payment supplement.

I agree about the purchase tax for used cars. I'm puzzled why this has yet to be discussed.
The purchase tax is not usually discussed because the who pays it and the how much is laid down in the law and there are online calculators that anyone can use to see how much the tax will be for any particular car.

Old Feb 24th 2023, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

We've just had ours as well - 2 halves but at 11600 huf per year we always pay the lot at once because we always forget the 2nd half until we get a nasty letter and a late payment supplement.

The purchase tax is not usually discussed because the who pays it and the how much is laid down in the law and there are online calculators that anyone can use to see how much the tax will be for any particular car.
Still not had a response from friends and their son. If they decide to withdraw from buying my car it means back to the drawing board but I think my sister-in-law or her husband might step in. There's a possibility one of the nephews might decide his VW Passat Combi is too big for him. I think he only bought it so he and his mates can make regular road trips to Austria or Switzerland but he's the one providing the car to get there!!!