Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

Old Feb 8th 2023, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

What's the situation regarding selling a second hand car to a friend?
Old Feb 8th 2023, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Itt Magyarorszag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second Hand Car Sales - Tax, VAT or Zero?

You both sign a copy of a sales contract. Templates are available online or at most stationery stores. Then, if I'm not mistaken, when you go to Kormányablak to switch the legal owner over and have them issue a new registration document and owner's card, they will tell you how much to pay and how. (So yes, basically private sales of vehicles are taxed, but I don't know the percentage.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I did this several years ago.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
What's the situation regarding selling a second hand car to a friend?
Fatal Nick! Fatal!

(Sorry, can't help with the tax question).
Old Feb 8th 2023, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Itt Magyarorszag
You both sign a copy of a sales contract. Templates are available online or at most stationery stores. Then, if I'm not mistaken, when you go to Kormányablak to switch the legal owner over and have them issue a new registration document and owner's card, they will tell you how much to pay and how. (So yes, basically private sales of vehicles are taxed, but I don't know the percentage.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I did this several years ago.
Are you suggesting I'm the one to pay the tax?

Gawd ... would be pissed off about that because our friend was planning to view a car 0.5 million forints less. There was no mention of tax he'd pay on that.

Has the wool been pulled over my eyes?
Old Feb 8th 2023, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

There is a tax when you purchase a car which is based upon age and engine power. This site
Vagyonszerzési illeték 2022 kalkulátor: Mennyi a vagyonszerzési illeték autó és ház vásárlásánál?
has a table - I presume it is truthful, I've copied it below.

Old Feb 8th 2023, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Fatal Nick! Fatal!

(Sorry, can't help with the tax question).
+1
selling cars, washing machines fridges etc. to friends or family is fraught. The more complex the machine the bigger the risk.

Gawd ... would be pissed off about that because our friend was planning to view a car 0.5 million forints less. There was no mention of tax he'd pay on that.

The buyer pays the tax
Electric cars (not hybrids) are exempt.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
+1
selling cars, washing machines fridges etc. to friends or family is fraught. The more complex the machine the bigger the risk.

The buyer pays the tax
Electric cars (not hybrids) are exempt.
I'll be honest here .... I'll be selling my car with very low mileage, not even 30 months old. Reason for selling is we need a bigger car. Our Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.4 Hybrid AWD is too small for two dogs, [30 kg sprocker English springer & Cocker Spaniel and 25 kg GSD], plus long weekend luggage! Our sprocker should weigh around 15-22 kg but he was already a very big boy when we collected him but next to our first GSD in UK he looked so small!!! No way they have enough space in the "boot" or even with rear seats folded "flat", there'd be no room for luggage for long weekends or even a week! They both looked crammed enough on rear seat when we visited Szilvásvárad last July! Didn't help our GSD puked three times!!!
We already paid tax on purchase of car why'd we pay for sale unless what we paid for new car is deducted.
No mention by prospective buyers ... I'd probably withdraw the offer if we were expected to pay the tax on the sale! I think they are getting a good deal.
We ordered a brand new car today more suitable to our current needs. It's not hybrid, not one of those 190 hp cars, got massive boot, automatic, I'm too old for a car with 190 hp. 150 hp is enough for me. Only prepared to say it's Skoda which is what we planned to buy when we first moved here but the temptation for a cheaper car being Suzuki we went for that option. Our new car is a long term plan, unlike the Suzuki SX4 S- Cross which was a "beginner " car for me to get used to driving in Hungary.

Last edited by FenTiger; Feb 8th 2023 at 12:04 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I paid tax on the purchase of my new (but used) car which if I remember rightly was 200 000HUF. Becauses it had been imported from France I also had to pay for it to be registered in Hungary and issued with new licence plates.

Quite frankly as your car has such a low mileage I wouldn't sell it. Realistically how often are you going to take the dogs on a long journey? I travelled to the UK and back with 2 dogs and a cat in a crate on the back seat of a small Suzuki Swift and tthey all survived! We just stopped every couple of hours or so to give us all a pee break.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be honest here .... I'll be selling my car with very low mileage, not even 30 months old. Reason for selling is we need a bigger car. Our Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.4 Hybrid AWD is too small for two dogs, [30 kg sprocker English springer & Cocker Spaniel and 25 kg GSD], plus long weekend luggage! Our sprocker should weigh around 15-22 kg but he was already a very big boy when we collected him but next to our first GSD in UK he looked so small!!! No way they have enough space in the "boot" or even with rear seats folded "flat", there'd be no room for luggage for long weekends or even a week! They both looked crammed enough on rear seat when we visited Szilvásvárad last July! Didn't help our GSD puked three times!!!
We already paid tax on purchase of car why'd we pay for sale unless what we paid for new car is deducted.
No mention by prospective buyers ... I'd probably withdraw the offer if we were expected to pay the tax on the sale! I think they are getting a good deal.
We ordered a brand new car today more suitable to our current needs. It's not hybrid, not one of those 190 hp cars, got massive boot, automatic, I'm too old for a car with 190 hp. 150 hp is enough for me. Only prepared to say it's Skoda which is what we planned to buy when we first moved here but the temptation for a cheaper car being Suzuki we went for that option. Our new car is a long term plan, unlike the Suzuki SX4 S- Cross which was a "beginner " car for me to get used to driving in Hungary.
  • 50 km/h in built-up areas.
  • 90 km/h on open roads.
  • 110 km/h on semi-motorways
  • 130 km/h on motorways.

https://www.sixt.co.uk/magazine/tips...on%20motorways.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I paid tax on the purchase of my new (but used) car which if I remember rightly was 200 000HUF. Becauses it had been imported from France I also had to pay for it to be registered in Hungary and issued with new licence plates.

Quite frankly as your car has such a low mileage I wouldn't sell it. Realistically how often are you going to take the dogs on a long journey? I travelled to the UK and back with 2 dogs and a cat in a crate on the back seat of a small Suzuki Swift and tthey all survived! We just stopped every couple of hours or so to give us all a pee break.
Our car is too small for a chunky 30 kg sprocket and an ever growing GSD. As mentioned on our long weekend break we couldn't put enough stuff in the boot with dogs on rear seat.
If we accepted the lack of space we'd only have space for one clean pair of underwear, one clean t shirt, trousers and socks, not forgetting spare all terrain walking shoes!
Old Feb 8th 2023, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I think somebody needs a diet!

Sprocker Summary:
Average size = 40 - 50 cm. Average weight = 15 – 20 kg. Life expectancy = 12 - 15 years. Estimated monthly cost = Medium.
https://www.myfamilyvets.co.uk › s...
Sprocker Guide - Complete Breed Care Guide - My Family Vets
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 8th 2023, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I think somebody needs a diet!

our sprocker weighs 30 kgs. He's always been a big boy. Nothing to do with diet. As mentioned he was biggest in the litter. He was pretty fast but has slowed down a bit with age. If he loses some weight he'd be back to normal. He's escaped from a pack of 5 dogs easily ... you're underestimating him! He hates police officers!
Old Feb 8th 2023, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our car is too small for a chunky 30 kg sprocket and an ever growing GSD. As mentioned on our long weekend break we couldn't put enough stuff in the boot with dogs on rear seat.
If we accepted the lack of space we'd only have space for one clean pair of underwear, one clean t shirt, trousers and socks, not forgetting spare all terrain walking shoes!
Changing the car after 30 months will cost a lot in deprecation plus a lot of instant deprecation immediately you drive the new car off the forecourt, not to mention the other charges associated with a new car.

If you like the car you have is there any way to keep it rather than swap for a bigger car for the (occasional ??) week-end away?

What about a roof rack with a top box (prices from 40,000 to 250,000 huf) for the change of clothes etc. and the dogs in the car.
Will the dogs fit in the back behind the rear seats (with a dog guard) ? and if there are only 2 of you then luggage on the back seats in soft bags.
Old Feb 9th 2023, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Changing the car after 30 months will cost a lot in deprecation plus a lot of instant deprecation immediately you drive the new car off the forecourt, not to mention the other charges associated with a new car.

If you like the car you have is there any way to keep it rather than swap for a bigger car for the (occasional ??) week-end away?

What about a roof rack with a top box (prices from 40,000 to 250,000 huf) for the change of clothes etc. and the dogs in the car.
Will the dogs fit in the back behind the rear seats (with a dog guard) ? and if there are only 2 of you then luggage on the back seats in soft bags.
I did consider a roof box but if us and sister-in-law insufficient space. I've ordered Skoda Kodiag. Massive boot. Perfect for our road trips.
Old Feb 9th 2023, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

It's amazing what you can pack into a small car if you do it carefully. When we drove to the UK and back in my Suzuki Swift, with two dogs and a cat in a crate on the back seat, we had to pack enough clothes for me for a six month stay plus dog beds, litter tray and enough food for the dogs and cat for three days. My son who drove had arrived with a large back pack and his laptop and those as well as my laptop also had to be packed into the car Because I couldn't walk unaided crutches and a zimmer frame had to be put somewhere easily accessible.

What my son did was to pack the seat wells so the luggage was the same height as the back seat which gave the dogs more space to lie. Apart from the backpack and an overnight bag for me, all my clothes were packed in soft bags and placed in the boot. On the way back the back seat wells were packed with books I'd bought and we even managed to pack a 1.8 metre Christmas tree to deliver to the parents of a Hungarian friend of ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.