Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Schengen area travel

Schengen area travel

Old Apr 5th 2023, 5:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schengen area travel

From the British Embassy -

"Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in the country or countries where you live or work. If a passport is stamped, the stamp is considered null and void when you can show evidence of lawful residence."
Old Apr 5th 2023, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

And the above nonsense is the main reason I got Hungarian nationality - possession of an EU passport was well worth the effort
Old Apr 5th 2023, 7:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
From the British Embassy -

"Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in the country or countries where you live or work. If a passport is stamped, the stamp is considered null and void when you can show evidence of lawful residence."
Curioser and curioser.

So, do you think the Hungarian border agents don't recognise a Hungarian residence permit as being evidence of lawful residence in Hungary, or do you think they do and are issuing a stamp they know to be null and void before they issue it?

The EU Commission does say that it's not illegal for member states to be stamping passports and therefore they can't act to prevent it but that since the stamps only serve as proof of entry and exit dates in order to establish compliance with the 90 / 180, they have no effect when it comes to residents of Schengen states.

Obviously if your home country stamps you in (and out?) when you cross their external Schengen border, it has the potential to cause massive confusion should you exit or enter Schengen via a different member state, as is perfectly allowable and under common scenarios could well be the most expedient option. I mean, what are they to think if you produce a Hungarian residence permit which, by stamping your passport, the Hungarian border agent has said it doesn't recognise?
Old Apr 5th 2023, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I mean, what are they to think if you produce a Hungarian residence permit which, by stamping your passport, the Hungarian border agent has said it doesn't recognise?
Indeed ... and when the ETIAS visa is brought in, will we be asked to produce one ? I can imagine we may need one for entry into other EU countries where we are non residents but will we be required to have one to enter a country where we have residency ? There doesn't appear to be any clarification regarding UK residency holders in an EU country ! Maybe it will be easier just to get a visa anyway ?
Old Apr 5th 2023, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
There doesn't appear to be any clarification regarding UK residency holders in an EU country !
It has been clarified on official EU websites, we're exempt ETIAS.
Who does not need an ETIAS travel authorisation.

Old Apr 5th 2023, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
It has been clarified on official EU websites, we're exempt ETIAS.
Who does not need an ETIAS travel authorisation.
Thanks for the info clarifying that, appreciated ...
Old Apr 5th 2023, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Curioser and curioser.

So, do you think the Hungarian border agents don't recognise a Hungarian residence permit as being evidence of lawful residence in Hungary, or do you think they do and are issuing a stamp they know to be null and void before they issue it?

The EU Commission does say that it's not illegal for member states to be stamping passports and therefore they can't act to prevent it but that since the stamps only serve as proof of entry and exit dates in order to establish compliance with the 90 / 180, they have no effect when it comes to residents of Schengen states.

Obviously if your home country stamps you in (and out?) when you cross their external Schengen border, it has the potential to cause massive confusion should you exit or enter Schengen via a different member state, as is perfectly allowable and under common scenarios could well be the most expedient option. I mean, what are they to think if you produce a Hungarian residence permit which, by stamping your passport, the Hungarian border agent has said it doesn't recognise?
Some good points point here!
Old Apr 6th 2023, 12:53 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how they'll handle the future introduction of EES and integration with e-gates there, if they're so insistent you currently need to be stamped in.

We residents are supposed to avoid those.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 1:05 am
Account Closed

I wonder how they'll handle the future introduction of EES and integration with e-gates there, if they're so insistent you currently need to be stamped in.

We residents are supposed to avoid those.
​​​​​ They'll just do their own thing - as always!

Funny story about stamps - back in the '80s I got mugged in Paris, passport gone.
Went to the consulate (days when they were really helpful), was seen by the vice consul who got me to fill in a short "stolen passport" form. I asked him how I was going to get out of the country - he said, that's easy, the French just love stamps. So he took the form I had filled in, grabbed every rubber stamp he could find and plastered the thing, all over!
Went with it to passport control at the airport, no problems at all!
Old Apr 6th 2023, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
​​​​​ They'll just do their own thing - as always!

Funny story about stamps - back in the '80s I got mugged in Paris, passport gone.
Went to the consulate (days when they were really helpful), was seen by the vice consul who got me to fill in a short "stolen passport" form. I asked him how I was going to get out of the country - he said, that's easy, the French just love stamps. So he took the form I had filled in, grabbed every rubber stamp he could find and plastered the thing, all over!
Went with it to passport control at the airport, no problems at all!
As you mentioned Paris and got mugged this is our story. As we were going down an escalator at this Paris Airport (I forget which one) my wife thought it odd her handbag was vibrating because she left her mobile at home. It was actually a kid trying to open her handbag zip. On our last day we had hours to kill before flight home so just walked around dragging our suitcases with us. I noticed a "suspicious " guy behind us so we crossed the road, not once but thrice. By then he got the message we knew he was following us!
Old Apr 8th 2023, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've been mugged three times and had my passport stolen twice. The first time my passport was stolen I was called into the British Ambassadors office in Johannesburg and given a lecture about how HMQE2 didn't look kindly on subjects who didn't take care of their passports.

The third time I was mugged I was walking home after collecting my plane ticket from the travel agent. I was attacked by a young thug who snatched my handbag, Even though I tried to fight back he was so much bigger than me he got away. Luckily a couple of elderly men came to my aid, one of whom followed the thief, and managed to retrieve my bag together with my passport air ticket and credit cards. Only cash was missing. They took me to the police station and then on to the hospital to have the cuts and grazes treated the I'd sustained trying to defend myself. The police caught the offender who after serving his prison sentence was deported back to the Comores