Mortar Mix

Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortar Mix

I'm doing some re-pointing of the brickwork inside and outside of my toolshed. It is not a big enough job to justify buying bulk sand and bags of cement. I bought a 25kg bag of stuff called "Interproject". On the paper sack there is a picture of someone laying bricks, so I assumed it was mortar mix. It is mortar mix but is made with sharp sand, so it is not really suitable for laying bricks or pointing. I used it anyway but have now run out and need to buy more. Is it possible to buy a bag of similar stuff but made with normal sand? Even buying bags of sand seems to be difficult in Hungary but I know there are some places where you can dig it out of the ground.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortar Mix

Hi fidobsa.

I recently installed one of those stone resin shower bases which called for a mortar mix of x cm before placement of the base. I went to OBI - yeah yeah I know - but in this instance they did help me. The sand and cement mixed up well. I have photos of the products but have no idea how to upload them here for you to see. The sand shows what appears to be a child playing in sand with the words "spielsand" written across the top of the plastic bag in red writing. Its a 25 kg bag. If you want to pm me your email address then I can send you the photo. If not then go and have a look at OBI for what I have tried to describe. I actually found it in the "plants" department. It worked well for what I needed it for and have since used it in a mix to plaster some other things as well. Not sure if it will work for you and or your application though.

The cement I found, also at OBI during the same visit, is in a yellow bag - also 25 kg. Again, I have a photo of it if it will help.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

For dry mix mortar try Baumit Falazó Habarcs30 (other makes available) from your local builders merchant
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.obi.hu/szarazhabarcs/nov...5-kg/p/3862513

I was back to OBI today and bought another different bag of mortar mix but again I find it contains sharp sand. On closer inspection I find that the Interproject stuff comes in various flavours. I bought a bag of their ceramic tile adhesive. I find that is good if you need to do a thin skim of render to level up uneven surfaces. It sticks better than normal mortar and is more flexible. I also bought a bag of the kiddies sandpit sand (silly me, I had been looking for either clear sacks that you could tell contained sand or sacks marked "Homok")!