Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Rubber weed barrier

Rubber weed barrier

Old Mar 16th 2023, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rubber weed barrier

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I recently acquired a mid-priced metal detector in exchange for some credit card points. In the first instance I intended to use it to find two pieces of rebar that I had driven into the lawn to mark the optimum spots for our two bluebird boxes.

I have yet to find the rebar, but have so far found a variety of things in/under the lawn, including six U-bolts, four pieces of chain, several pieces of aluminium drink cans, a matchbox car, a AAA battery, and a Mexican reale ("piece of eight") from 1618-1619. Unfortunately the reale is a reproduction, which instead of being solid silver, appears to be some sort of plating over a copper core. But it's still by far the most interesting thing I have found so far!
I used to go metal detecting many decades ago with a friend of mine. Worst experience was when metal detecting on a beach ..... quicksand. Had to be careful we moved away from any areas which started sinking.

Never found anything interesting ... mostly used bullets as the beach used to be a RAF practice area.
Old Mar 17th 2023, 7:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
[...]I have yet to find the rebar[...]
I'm sure it'll turn up one day when you're mowing.
Old Mar 17th 2023, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My garden, house and outbuildings were a veritable treasure trove of useless items. Shoes, a mouldy leather jacket, a bed, a damaged ceramic stove, numerous galvanised iron buckets, a large corn cob huller, wooden barrels, concrete water troughs, a tin bath and a chamber pot! Those were above ground!

Digging the garden we found broken glass, syringes, dozens of tiny liquor bottles, nails, plastic bags and in one area a very large sheet of plastic, which I think may have been used as a vegetable tunnel.

Nearly 16 years latter I'm still finding bits of it!
Old Mar 17th 2023, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
My garden, house and outbuildings were a veritable treasure trove of useless items. Shoes, a mouldy leather jacket, a bed, a damaged ceramic stove, numerous galvanised iron buckets, a large corn cob huller, wooden barrels, concrete water troughs, a tin bath and a chamber pot! Those were above ground!

Digging the garden we found broken glass, syringes, dozens of tiny liquor bottles, nails, plastic bags and in one area a very large sheet of plastic, which I think may have been used as a vegetable tunnel.

Broken glass and syringes ... that would be my worse nightmare.

I'd be happy to come up to your place to remove broken glass and syringes. No way I want your dog's to injure themselves.
Old Mar 17th 2023, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Broken glass and syringes ... that would be my worse nightmare.

I'd be happy to come up to your place to remove broken glass and syringes. No way I want your dog's to injure themselves.
Fortunately the glass and syringes were all in one place, near the front gate for some unknown reason. I haven't found any for years now and there's a forsythia bush covering the area, so no danger any longer for the dogs.
Old Mar 17th 2023, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina

Ha, I feel your pain ! I found most of those apart from a chamber pot ! Apparently the attic was crammed until the owner who I bought the house from had someone in the village empty it but unfortunately they took everything including many nice things that they weren't supposed to take and left just the rubbish ! There were a couple of tin baths though which I have renovated, this being one of them !

Old Mar 17th 2023, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of background about rubbish buried in gardens - it is only relatively recently that everywhere had rubbish collections. For the first few years that we were here our village had no rubbish collection and people did whatever they could with rubbish which varied from dumped at the bottom of the garden to dumping in the countryside or some unofficial land fill used by local convention. So I am not surprised if people find unexplained things appearing in their garden.
Old Mar 18th 2023, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Ha, I feel your pain ! I found most of those apart from a chamber pot ! Apparently the attic was crammed until the owner who I bought the house from had someone in the village empty it but unfortunately they took everything including many nice things that they weren't supposed to take and left just the rubbish ! There were a couple of tin baths though which I have renovated, this being one of them !

Fantastic
Old Mar 18th 2023, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic
Thanks ! I like to upcycle the useful things I have found and recycle the rubbish ! Anyway, apologies for hijacking your thread !

Old Mar 18th 2023, 8:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I love seeing how people turn rubbish into useful objects rather than dumping them. You have made ugly things beautiful again, well done.

Rosemary
Old Mar 18th 2023, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Thanks ! I like to upcycle the useful things I have found and recycle the rubbish ! Anyway, apologies for hijacking your thread !
Not a problem at all. I thought what you had done with that tin bath was genius. We had a tin bath in early 60's but myself being so young the sink, belfast style, was big enough for me.
Old Mar 18th 2023, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A bit of background about rubbish buried in gardens - it is only relatively recently that everywhere had rubbish collections. For the first few years that we were here our village had no rubbish collection and people did whatever they could with rubbish which varied from dumped at the bottom of the garden to dumping in the countryside or some unofficial land fill used by local convention. So I am not surprised if people find unexplained things appearing in their garden.
In the UK, often known as a midden.
Old Mar 18th 2023, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I love seeing how people turn rubbish into useful objects rather than dumping them. You have made ugly things beautiful again, well done.

Rosemary
Thank You !
Old Mar 18th 2023, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Not a problem at all. I thought what you had done with that tin bath was genius. We had a tin bath in early 60's but myself being so young the sink, belfast style, was big enough for me.
Thanks ! I have also done one in bright yellow along with painting an old metal barrel but have kept them in storage for now until I have somewhere permanent to put them in the garden !
Old Mar 18th 2023, 9:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A bit of background about rubbish buried in gardens - it is only relatively recently that everywhere had rubbish collections. For the first few years that we were here our village had no rubbish collection and people did whatever they could with rubbish ....
Same in the US - a neighbour's property here in NC was built near to the site of a farmhouse that might have been occupied as recently as the 1960's before the site was bulldozed. It appears that the farmhouse's personal dump was only shallowly buried, as old tin cans and other trash still come to the surface from time to time in my neighbor's back garden.

As a separate issue, it is common for houses built on a land of an acre or more to leave one or more piles of debris from leveling the site, just running the bulldozer into the trees and leaving a pile of rocks and soil. Sometimes the builders to add to it during construction - there are two such debris piles in the woods from the construction of Pulaski Manor and a house in the road behind.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2023 at 10:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.