Credit Cards

Old Oct 4th 2017, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Cards

As a UK citizen with residence in Hungary, I am told by my bank (CIP) that I cannot have a credit card. Not because I don't have enough income or have a poor credit record but because I am not a Hungarian citizen. Can this be correct? I find it extraordinary.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards

With respect to granting a credit card a bank can make their own rules. Having said that there are more debit cards in Hungary than credit cards.

I can imagine the bank being worried that as a non Hungarian national they may not be able to claw back any bad debt. However the EU rules forbid discrimination between EU nationals - but I'm not sure if that would extend to financial services although it does extend to transport e.g. free travel for all EU pensioners.

It may be easier to get a debit card and if you do get a debit card make sure that it is the type with raised lettering because only that type will allow online purchases and things like car hire abroad.

I have a Hungarian debit card and my bank (OTP) didn't offer a credit card but I have kept my UK credit card
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Peter. I already have a debit card but I'm a little worried about some travel coming up during which I'll need to hire a car and generally a CC is needed for that.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If you know which car hire co. you will use you can ask them if they accept debit cards (or look on their web site for info) Otherwise look on the web and choose a hire co that does accept debit cards and under what conditions. (But it the card will need to be the type with raised numbers anyway)
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, thanks. We've done that but I don't trust that stated conditions are always met in some countries!
Anyway, good info, many thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of cards, do they have the contactless system in Hungary? I heard of someone having their cards stolen and the thief had a spending spree with the contactless card until it was reported and cancelled.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

They do have contactless cards, yes. But you can only spend up to HUF 5k without the use of a PIN.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
On the subject of cards, do they have the contactless system in Hungary? I heard of someone having their cards stolen and the thief had a spending spree with the contactless card until it was reported and cancelled.
Which is why, although my card has contactless capability, I have not had it enabled
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

<< if you do get a debit card make sure that it is the type with raised lettering because only that type will allow online purchases>>

Peter, can you explain this? I have just used my Raiffeisen debit card with unraised lettering for an online purchase this morning.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shotgun
<< if you do get a debit card make sure that it is the type with raised lettering because only that type will allow online purchases>>

Peter, can you explain this? I have just used my Raiffeisen debit card with unraised lettering for an online purchase this morning.
some sites won't accept flat number type cards including car hires, just my experience. I think it is down to the card type where the the card must be present to do the transaction although this I gather is getting more and more rare.