Reload this Page >

RHD CAR PURCHASE

RHD CAR PURCHASE

Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

dillanv is an unknown quantity at this point
Question RHD CAR PURCHASE

Hello all. i am new. my name is Dillan.

I have joined as i saw a closed thread relating to car ownership, but my question is different and also i have to open this as a new thread.

so the situation

I am based in UK, but wanting to start a business that involves purchasing RHD cars from Hungary, new, from the dealer to send to the UK.

The reason is that the specific cars are available in the UK, however 1 variation is not available to the UK buyer as the dealerships for opted for 2 spec variations and not the 3rd spec variation.

This variation appears to be available through out europe, and is available in other markers RHD.

So the the question.

Is there a limitation for me as a UK resident and UK business from acquiring my car in Hungary and getting them shipped over to the UK?

I have read about only local registration of a car to residents only, but i really do not understand the law or bureaucracy there.

PLEASE can you all help me understand what the requirements are or the routes for me to make this venture work.

The car will be purchased in Hungary, and then immediately transported to the UK on arrival to the hungarian dealership, and UK taxes and import charges will be completed in the UK, and it will be registered with the DVLA here.

many thanks for your assistance in advance guys.

Dillan
Old Jul 14th 2015, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RHD CAR PURCHASE

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that to buy a car here, you must have legal residency here and an address card.
If it's for immediate export, presumably tailored, then maybe the law is different. Maybe you have to deregister the vehicle...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
When I moved to Hungary I bought a car in the UK for delivery in Hungary. The car was ordered, spec'ed and paid for in the UK through the makers dealership network with the delivery place specified as Hungary and I picked it up from the Hungarian dealer (who also picked up the warranty liability)

Perhaps this might work for you - order in Hungary for delivery in the UK. If it works it might make any warranty work easier to manage.

The taxes were Hungarian and the registration was handled by the Hungarian dealer.

One point to note - this was 20 years ago, prior to Hungary joining the EU, but perhaps the EU regs might make this easier - banning restrictive trade practices, although many manufactures try to stop cross border trading.

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point

of course, I meant 'trailered' but can't seem to edit!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

yes the cars would be sent to the uk by trailer - so i do not know if they even need registration in Hungrary or can be obtained pre-registered and the 1st registration would in the UK?

But more important, is i need to understand the rules of buying or trading in cars in Hungary...
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you email a dealership in Budapest for the make of car concerned and ask the same questions there. I suspect they might quite like the idea of getting regular orders from UK for new cars and will therefore be quite helpful. Firms in Budapest they will probably have at least one member of staff who speaks some English.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not have to be resident in an EU country in order to purchase a car there.

If you buy a car in an EU country for export to another EU country, you do not have to register it in the country of purchase first.

If you intend to drive the car back rather than having it trailered back, you may be able to obtain a temporary export registration and the associated number plates in the country of purchase. That may depend on the country.

A significant factor in the equation may be the discount that you are able to negotiate from the new car price.

We discussed this in March, coincidentally, in the "Importing Car to Hungary?" thread – that discussion concerned exporting from the Czech Republic to Hungary, but the underlying legislation is the same throughout the EU.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

thank you