Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Residency application change???

Residency application change???

Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residency application change???

I haven't added this to the residency thread nor the car import thread as at this point in time, I'm not sure whether it is a new policy or not

A chap phoned me today to say that he had been to the immigration office in Kaposvar with the intention of obtaining residency. He had all of the required documentation and they agreed it was in order. They then asked him if he had a British vehicle!!!! He said yes and they replied that he had to provide proof that the vehicle had been registered in Hungary and the duty paid
Off he went to the vehicle registration office who of course informed him that he had to be resident to register the vehicle
He explained the situation and was informed that he must obtain a letter from his mayor stating that he is resident and in the process of obtaining his residency and needs to register his vehicle??

This is the first I have heard of this and certainly does not conform to the current immigration laws as I understand them.......
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residency application change???

If I was him, I would say I am taking the car back to the UK where it will spend most of it's time.
When I transferred my Spanish plated car to Hungarian [8 years old at the time and in my ownership from new], it cost me as much as the car was worth to do so. They said [and this was five years ago!] that EU regs had ruled that it counted towards good and chattels and Hungary must change their practice and therefore I may get the money back .............. yeah, right!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I told him to do Actually, it is true as he hasn't moved over completely and the van will be returning several times to the UK.
Glad you didn't hold your breath waiting for the refund

My issue is with the Kaposvar office giving misinformation. If memory serves me correctly, once resident, you have 3 months to register the vehicle. Why then are they refusing residency until the vehicle is registered? Even the chap at the vehicle registration department couldn't understand it and his only solution was to request a temporary residency form from his mayor!

He is going to try again on Monday so fingers crossed
Old Nov 13th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

That is a new one we were not even asked if we owned a car
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by klarika
That is a new one we were not even asked if we owned a car
Appears to be something new???? Though I have only heard of this case so far. The person went back but because he had informed them he had a vehicle, he now has to wait until the fortnightly rotation of staff in the hope of seeing somebody who isn't familiar with his application.

I'm perhaps wondering whether he told the immigration that he has already been here longer than 3 months and has a vehicle with him. No other scenario would make sense.