Residency

Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Yeoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residency

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thank goodness for that! Thought I was suffering from lack of clarity due to lack of

Yeoman, I think you best consult a solicitor for a definitive answer. Good luck

Please humour me. I respect both of your experience. Just can't entirely work out what you are stating.

Can you both answer these 2 questions yesno.
1) If I obtain the Hungarian registration card successfully do I become a tax resident of Hungary?
2) If I obtain the Hungarian registration card successfully do I become domiciled in Hungary?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardmc
So do you know how to obtain your TAJ card? do you have to complete form S1
for UK to opt out of NHS.
You need your S1 form showing you paid into the UK system, your residency card (aka registration card, residence certificate, registration certificate) and address card. There is a fee of a couple of thousand forints.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Most people call it a residency card - as in other EU countries, it is called a residency certificate - as it avoids confusion (like now). If you have a registration card, you have registered as resident.
I think potentially you and others are confusing/mixing "residence visa", "residency permit" [Non EEA citizens] with "registration card" [EEA citizens].
http://hungary.angloinfo.com/moving/...y-eu-citizens/

I don't think it helps the confusion that the Hungarian immigration office call it 'right of residence'
http://net.jogtar.hu/jr/gen/hjegy_do...id=A0700001.TV
It seems quite likely to me that 'right of residence' is a misnomer from translation, evidenced by the rest of the poor translation of important specific technical information in that document.

That document only mentions residents (different from residence) as "the EEA nationals who have continuously and legally resided for five years in Hungary,".

Given what I have read I do not believe you become a 'resident' from registration.

What Mitzyboy is talking about is tax residence and domicile, which is different from being a 'resident', as I think Rural is posting about.

Last edited by Yeoman; Sep 6th 2013 at 4:39 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, "Right of Residence" is a misleading description as you already have that right, simply by holding an EU passport.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, "Right of Residence" is a misleading description as you already have that right, simply by holding an EU passport.
Only if taken out of context.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yeoman
Wow. I'm sorry for banging on about this if it turns out I have missed something.
I'm perfectly open to believing I'm wrong on this, but what you are stating is contradictory to the governement links I have provided, and also it does not seem logical.
I have seen no government sites confirming what you are saying.

Where did you get this Hungarian quote from? Where can you find it written that ones status becomes "resident" after registering?
Just because the Hungarian words translate to "right of residence" isn't enough proof for me that one is legally a tax resident upon registering. I wonder if "the right of" is key in that sentence. Different from "you become" for instance.

It makes no sense whatsoever that there is a 'rule' stating: that one becomes tax resident of Hungary if one spends 183 days per year in Hungary. Yet you are stating that if one registers, one becomes tax resident? yesno?
Given one is legally obliged to register within 90 days, do you see how the "if one spends 183 days per year in Hungary" rule would become redundant...
Not logical to me.

Ok, so you are arguing I will be domiciled because of registration?
You are arguing the Spanish residents will be domiciled but not be tax residents?

Then I think you go on to contradict the above by saying I will be a tax resident. Or is this because of the specific scenario "because if you have no property in the UK and have property in Hungary"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitual_residence
Therefore given my specific scenario you are arguing that after registering I would become domiciled and a tax resident of Hungary?

If the laws are a grey area. I can settle at that, and I will take the least risky option.

I never suggested or inferred going against the 'rules'/'laws'. I'm challenging whether you both have got the 'rules' correct.

I'm not pig headedly arguing a point. You haven't provided me with clarity or any links / information to confirm what you are both saying, and I'm not sure you and Rural even agree on the points you are making?

Can you both answer these 2 questions yesno.
1) If I obtain the Hungarian registration card successfully do I become a tax resident of Hungary?
2) If I obtain the Hungarian registration card successfully do I become domiciled in Hungary?

Thanks for your time
I'm not contradicting myself anywhere, and just because I haven't quoted any government sites doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about in general for EU tax residency and domicile

You are confusing matters I think.
You CAN be a domiciled resident of an EU country, but not a tax resident. Thats what I am telling you that Spanish ex pats are doing in some cases. They spend less than the required time in Spain for tax residency, but more than the required time for domiciled residency, i.e. more than 90 days but less than half a year.

In your particular scenario you said you would spend 9 months in Hungary and 3 in the UK. That means you have exceeded the time limit for tax residency and domicile residency so you would be both. Your habitual home would be Hungary as you have no home in the UK

Its best not to use Wikipedia definitions for something like this though, dont you think
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
You have the "right of residence" and can stay here for three months. You have "the right of residence" for more than three months so long as you comply with certain conditions - income, health care etc.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between a right and getting permission for something. It is like getting a driving licence. In UK everyone over 17 has the right to apply for a driving licence. It does not mean everyone can have a driving licence as it is conditional on health status etc. The licence itself is just the permission and has various conditions, the right only has one condition, minimum age. The right of an EU citizen to live in any EU country only has one condition, that they hold an EU passport or ID card. The permission to live in a specific country will have multiple conditions, such as those mentioned. I'm not trying to be pedantic, rights are very important and often hard won freedoms for people and they should not be confused with anything else.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not contradicting myself anywhere, and just because I haven't quoted any government sites doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about in general for EU tax residency and domicile
You are confusing matters I think.
Rural has actually been contradicting you and confusing me if you look back through the more recent posts. That's what I was referring to in regards to contradictions.

I was completely unaware of the differences between being a 'resident', having tax residence and being domiciled up until #30 of this thread, so I'm pleased we've engaged in this conversation. Thank you all for that.

In your particular scenario you said you would spend 9 months in Hungary and 3 in the UK. That means you have exceeded the time limit for tax residency and domicile residency so you would be both. Your habitual home would be Hungary as you have no home in the UK
I understand entirely after this clarification.

One last thing. You mention exceeding time limit on domicile residency above and you have stated "they are still domiciled residents because they have to be after 90 days." in reference to the Spanish expats in an earlier post.
But I don't think this is as clear as you make it sound. See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/domicile.htm as posted before. Domicile seems to be purposefully more subjective than a fixed period of time as you mention. The wikipedia link on 'Habitual residence' seems the same. May I ask what leads you to definitely think they will be considered domiciled after 90 days?

Its best not to use Wikipedia definitions for something like this though, dont you think
Its the best link I could find. I probably don't fully understand the term but I assumed you used it in the same context as domicile after reading that wiki article. Its probably not the best description but if you have a better one, I welcome it to help my understanding further.

Last edited by Yeoman; Sep 6th 2013 at 6:04 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rural has actually been contradicting you and confusing me if you look back through the more recent posts. That's what I was referring to in regards to contradictions.

One last thing. You mention exceeding time limit on domicile residency above and you have stated "they are still domiciled residents because they have to be after 90 days." in reference to the Spanish expats in an earlier post.
But I don't think this is as clear as you make it sound. See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/domicile.htm as posted before. Domicile seems to be purposefully more subjective than a fixed period of time as you mention. The wikipedia link on 'Habitual residence' seems the same.

Its the best link I could find. I probably don't fully understand the term but I assumed you used it in the same context as domicile after reading that wiki article. Its probably not the best description but if you have a better one, I welcome it to help my understanding further.
I think its probably ther confusion between fiscal and domicile residency that has cause the confusion, not sure Rural and I are contradicting each other

You are referring to HMRC site for the domicile discussion. If you live (in this case) in Spain then its the Spanish authorities that decide when you become a resident. The time you spend in a country to achieve that doesnt have to be continuous. Thats why, in Spain, people keep their ferry receipts etc. It will be down to THEM to prove it you see, should the need arise

In 2012/2013 I was a tax resident in the UK, yet I was deemed a domiciled resident in Spain because I spent more than 90 days there in that period. Being a tax resident means that you have to subject yourself to their requirements. I'm not fully sure of therm in Hungary, but you should be aware that in Spain that means that you are subject to Spanish Inheritance Tax, your worldwide income is subject to Spanish Tax, and there is a Wealth Tax as well which is levied on all assets, worldwide. Luckily the scope is too high at the moment to affect the normal ex pat, but it shows you should do your research well before moving to another country
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

not sure Rural and I are contradicting each other

You are referring to HMRC site for the domicile discussion. If you live (in this case) in Spain then its the Spanish authorities that decide when you become a resident.
I couldn't see that either but have given up on this one now.
As with Spain, Hungary has it's regulations regards residency and tax liability or so the solicitor and accountant tell me and who am I to argue
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

it shows you should do your research well before moving to another country
YES. This is why I am being annoying and asking millions of specific questions to get clarification on fundamental points.

In 2012/2013 I was a tax resident in the UK, yet I was deemed a domiciled resident in Spain because I spent more than 90 days there in that period.
Are you saying this >90 day time period is the factor in determining ones domicile?
Because as I said previously, time period is not the only factor, and it is much more complex than that according to the HMRC link.
Are you saying this >90 day time period is specific to Spain for domicile?

Also out of interest. How did you find out your domicile? On what documentation is it stated?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:40 pm
Senior Moment

YES. This is why I am being annoying and asking millions of specific questions to get clarification on fundamental points.

Are you saying this >90 day time period is the factor in determining ones domicile?
Because as I said previously, time period is not the only factor, and it is much more complex than that according to the HMRC link.
Are you saying this >90 day time period is specific to Spain for domicile?

Also out of interest. How did you find out your domicile? On what documentation is it stated?
Quite simply and in reality, when it comes down to it time IS the main factor in determining domicile. I know you might read other stuff, and at the end of the day I am sure there are many that get around it by being anonymous. The HMRC link means little when it comes down to determining residency in Hungary, Spain or wherever

No, I'm not saying it is specific to Spain .. that was an example. It may well vary country to country, but I think someone said earlier it is 90 days in Hungary

I'm not sure how you mean, how did I find out my domicile. I received a certificate to say I had signed on the foreigners list (residency) in Spain. That has my ID number on it. When I came to the UK in 2012/13 I advised the tax office I was back in the UK. I deregistered for tax purposes in Spain, yet the domicile residency certificate still exists in Spain even though I have been back in the UK now for some time.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's been a beautiful day in Hungary today and I am on my third glass of Kekfrankos. I am renowned for project planning to the nth degree but seriously if you want to move to Hungary, a country incidentally that I love, you need to just get over here and try it out. The bureaucracy will sort itself out one way or another. All you basically need to know is that if you stay here for more than three months you should make yourself known to the local immigration office.

This thread has intrigued me all day but its Friday night the weekend beckons and I am going to have another glass of wine. Cheers
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:51 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Well I'll join you Cathy because I'm getting that - "isn't that what I said in not so many words" feeling
Light relief though from dealing with immigration queries from Iranians and Indians - not to mention a suspect break caliper - where's that bottle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.