Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Renewing Hungarian Driving Licence

Renewing Hungarian Driving Licence

Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Hungarian Driving Licence

Originally Posted by heli2010
could anyone tell me what the medical cetificate I need to exchange my licence for a Hungarian one is called and do I get it from my local GP?
I can't remember what it is called but your GP does it, just go and ask and he/she will know what to do.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

We do not have TAj cards either & did ours licences last week with no issues. paper handwritten & stamped certificate,took it to town & way to go
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Renewing Driving Licence. Spent last week trying to sort an appointment at Keszthely. After emails back and forth I managed after about hour and half to make an appointment through : https://idopontfoglalo.kh.gov.hu/bejelentkezes

Trouble is, it is all in Hungarian had to google every main heading and hopefully got the correct portal etc, thank god for Google. Good luck. I think there is an extension to renew for 60 days due to Covid.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enter
Renewing Driving Licence. Spent last week trying to sort an appointment at Keszthely. After emails back and forth I managed after about hour and half to make an appointment through : https://idopontfoglalo.kh.gov.hu/bejelentkezes

Trouble is, it is all in Hungarian had to google every main heading and hopefully got the correct portal etc, thank god for Google. Good luck. I think there is an extension to renew for 60 days due to Covid.
Where I live you can still renew your driving licence in person without having to make an appointment. The only difference being that the office is only open on certain days for a few hours. I got my medical certificate and renewed my driving licence in a matter of a couple of hours. Might be worth you going along to the office in person to see whether the same applies in your area.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Where I live you can still renew your driving licence in person without having to make an appointment. The only difference being that the office is only open on certain days for a few hours. I got my medical certificate and renewed my driving licence in a matter of a couple of hours. Might be worth you going along to the office in person to see whether the same applies in your area.
Yes I may pop down or email them next week and check my appointment has been registered, thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Changing the driving license from a UK one to a Hungarian one was relatively painless. BUT...one thing to watch out for: when I attended my doctor's office here in Budapest, thanks to Covid, they had me wait out in the street from where I answered a couple of questions. One was about my sight, though there was no eye test. When I took the papers from the doctor to the local government office to change the license, and when the process was almost complete, they noticed that the doctor's office had not ticked all the existing "Groups A, B, C etc" I had listed on the UK license. As a result, I cannot drive a minibus or tow certain weights. Essentially, I can only drive my car and 49cc Vespa. So, please double check the paperwork when leaving the doctors office. (I just couldn't be arsed to go through the whole process again, especially hour 3 hour wait in the local government office).
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

In regard to driving licences, I'm curious ... in the EU, it's not legal to hold a driving licence from more than one EU country and when I changed my UK licence over to a Hungarian licence, I had to leave the UK licence to receive the Hungarian one. Now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU, is it now possible to have both a Hungarian and UK licence ?
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
In regard to driving licences, I'm curious ... in the EU, it's not legal to hold a driving licence from more than one EU country and when I changed my UK licence over to a Hungarian licence, I had to leave the UK licence to receive the Hungarian one. Now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU, is it now possible to have both a Hungarian and UK licence ?
Very good question. I would have thought that you could only have a licence issued by one authority?
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Very good question. I would have thought that you could only have a licence issued by one authority?
I'm not sure but I was always under the impression that third country nationals could also keep their original licence as well as their new EU licence ... the only difference being though is that some, but not all, have to take a new test in the EU country they are living in ... but would that make a difference ... third country is just that ?
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I'm not sure but I was always under the impression that third country nationals could also keep their original licence as well as their new EU licence ... the only difference being though is that some, but not all, have to take a new test in the EU country they are living in ... but would that make a difference ... third country is just that ?
I think the difference is if you need (or want ???) to take a test. If you take a test in the new country then it has nothing to do with your previous lience - so you get to keep it, if you exchange it without a test then it is just that, an exchange so you loose your old one.
Hungary will exchange UK licences without retesting.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Changing the driving license from a UK one to a Hungarian one was relatively painless. BUT...one thing to watch out for: when I attended my doctor's office here in Budapest, thanks to Covid, they had me wait out in the street from where I answered a couple of questions. One was about my sight, though there was no eye test. When I took the papers from the doctor to the local government office to change the license, and when the process was almost complete, they noticed that the doctor's office had not ticked all the existing "Groups A, B, C etc" I had listed on the UK license. As a result, I cannot drive a minibus or tow certain weights. Essentially, I can only drive my car and 49cc Vespa. So, please double check the paperwork when leaving the doctors office. (I just couldn't be arsed to go through the whole process again, especially hour 3 hour wait in the local government office).
A 'C' category is regarded as a commercial licence as is a mini bus if it has more than driver +8 seating capacity and this is a different medical with different (shorter) time periods between medicals when compared to the 'B' category.
In your position I would get it sorted unless you can absolutely guarantee you will never need the extra groups - but then I do use my additional groups infrequently.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped all my additional groups, at 70 years old living in the centre of a town I will never need to drive a bus or truck again.
So I just went for the easiest, simplest option.
No one has mentioned it but when you pay for the new licence do so with a credit card, saves the hassle of going to the Post Office to pay with a Yellow Cheque.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I exchanged a 3rd country licence in the UK (without a test) and they kept the old licence. That was before ukexit.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
I dropped all my additional groups, at 70 years old living in the centre of a town I will never need to drive a bus or truck again.
So I just went for the easiest, simplest option.
No one has mentioned it but when you pay for the new licence do so with a credit card, saves the hassle of going to the Post Office to pay with a Yellow Cheque.
Where I renew my driving licence you can only pay with your credit/debit card and have only been able to so for the past several years.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecurb
I exchanged a 3rd country licence in the UK (without a test) and they kept the old licence. That was before ukexit.
Until I came to live in Hungary I had both a South African driving licence as well as British one. My son who lives in the UK has held a French driving licence for over 30 years without any problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.