Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Renewing Driving Licence

Renewing Driving Licence

Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Smike28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing Driving Licence

If a UK driving licence is due to expire ( aged 70 yrs ) and that person spends the majority of time in Hungary with Hungarian residency does anyone know the procedure to follow in order to obtain a new driving licence

DVLA say the licence needs to be replaced in Hungary.

Any pointers would be grateful
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Smike28
If a UK driving licence is due to expire ( aged 70 yrs ) and that person spends the majority of time in Hungary with Hungarian residency does anyone know the procedure to follow in order to obtain a new driving licence

DVLA say the licence needs to be replaced in Hungary.

Any pointers would be grateful
You can only have a UK DL linked to a UK address, so if you are resident in Hungary, then you need to get a Hungarian one.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks

Do you know the process to follow in order to obtain a Hungarian Driving licence ?
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smike28
Thanks

Do you know the process to follow in order to obtain a Hungarian Driving licence ?
No idea, just know the rules regarding UK ones.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

You first have to go to your Hungarian doctor to obtain a medical certificate. Its not necessary though to have an eye test. You then take the certificate, your UK driving licence, Hungarian ID and British passport to your nearest vehicle licence department and fill in the appropriate form. They also take the photo necessary for your new licence. The department then sends your old UK licence off to the British Consulate in Budapest who forward it to the Licencing Department in Swansea to check whether your licence is genuine.

Take my advice ... do it at least three months before your UK licence runs out because Swansea takes forever to do the check. The licence department in my nearest town had to give me a letter to show the police if I got stopped saying I'd applied in plenty of time.

The medical certificate 4 years ago cost 1500HUF and cost of the driving licence another 1500HUF and for anyone over 70 the licence has to be renewed every 3 years ..... unless as in my case they made a mistake and I'll be 105 when mine runs out!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Really appreciate the info provided
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about not having to take an eye test at the doctor's. I had to and I've heard that everyone has to. I'm sure it also cost me about 5,000 huf for the medical certificate, not sure about the other costs for the licence itself, though I'm absolutely sure it was more than 1,500 huf. Mine was exchanged from a UK to Hungarian licence just over 3 years ago.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely didn't have an eye test despite the fact I wear specs all the time. As for the cost of renewing the licence I remember being quite amazed at only paying 1500HUF because my local vehicle licencing department had gone to so much trouble chasing up the delay from the UK end, including phone calls and faxes to Budapest and the UK.

I've found though, that being the only Brit in the area, local government departments go out of their way to be helpful and give you every assistance. A couple of times they've even anticipated that I don't speak much Hungarian and without being asked have provided translators.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 9:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The thread here might have some useful info as Cathy renewed hers recently - though she is under 70 so the process is slightly different. Good luck
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I need to exchange my licence then......

Can you go to any GP and get a medical certificate as apparently I can't get my Taj number until I've been resident for at least a year....... (The general paperwork and offices have been absolutely shocking for us)?

I'm presuming it's a relatively straight forward process? I will take nothing for granted as we have had so much trouble with our daughters paperwork and found some pretty outstanding incompetence!!

Thanks!