Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Old May 12th 2022, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Register My UK Car In Hungary.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's a lot of BS rumors post-Brexit. Brexit with respect to EU countries placed the UK on the same level as other non-EU countries; Brexit did not suddenly make an objective impossible just because the person or object came from the UK if the same objective would be achievable for someone/thing from Morocco, Turkey, Ukraine, Australia, Canada, USA, etc.
not bs. Most vehicles could easily be imported and registered pre Brexit. Not so now
Old May 12th 2022, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Don't forget that if you import your UK cars into Hungary and assuming they are right hand drive they will be virtually unsaleable here (other than for spares) down the line when you want to change cars.
Modern cars especially hybrids/electric are effectively disposable, so I have no intention of buying newer cars than I already have, so I am fine with that
Old May 12th 2022, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
The biggest obstacle to importing any car into Hungary is obviously how much do you really want to import the vehicle and is it really worth spending that much money, finding a place that knows the regulations to make your vehicle legal and the availability of parts to make any required lighting changes etc. If the vehicle is RHD as Peter in Hungary stated you will likely never be able to trade or sell it unless the buyer is returning home to the UK.
Both my cars are Euro V and I have also checked and the headlights have a switch on them to change between LHD and RHD, so unless I am mistaken I don't think there is anything that needs to be done. Obviously unless what the OP says is true, and that you can only import Euro VI cars now, but I am not so sure about that as there is no European legislation that I can find that says you can't import Euro V cars, most text I have seen says Euro IV or higher
Old May 12th 2022, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
The biggest obstacle to importing any car into Hungary is obviously how much do you really want to import the vehicle and is it really worth spending that much money,
If it is too difficult / impossible, then I will obviously have to re-think it.

However, if I look at used car prices in Hungary, it is absolutely worth it as the price difference is several thousand pounds in my favour (assuming it doesn't cost me thousands to import them)
Old May 12th 2022, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xavierx
Both my cars are Euro V and I have also checked and the headlights have a switch on them to change between LHD and RHD, so unless I am mistaken I don't think there is anything that needs to be done.
You will also need to check that the fog light can be switched over to the opposite side to what it set at for use in the UK ....
Old May 14th 2022, 8:26 am
AAD
Just Joined

AAD is an unknown quantity at this point

My car has all the latest generation, it's fully loaded, no need to change any lights or anything, all automatic.
I am going to sort it Monday, no import tax nothing, because i am not importing the car, it's been here and i have my own address has in Hungary not UK on my address card.
I do not need to pay any import duty at all, ok i cannot sell the car on for minimum 6 months, but i have no intention of selling the car, main reason i am going through the stress of registering my car here.
Only issue i have is July until they can do it.
Nothing needs changing on my car except to Hungarian plates.
Old May 14th 2022, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

So just to confirm, you have found a way to register your Euro 5 car now yes?
Old May 14th 2022, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
not bs. Most vehicles could easily be imported and registered pre Brexit. Not so now
If only you had read beyond my first sentence.

You are totally correct, importing a car between the UK and any other EU country used to be much easier than it is post-Brexit, but that is not what my post discussed.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AAD
I am actually wondering why now, why nobody does get back to me.
I do think it is the import duty, especially how it goes by the value of the car.
Looks like if this is the problem. I will have to drive back to UK also to sell my car on.
I will see what the cost will be first.
Why dont you do it yourself, you take you docs MOT V5 your nearest government testing station, ours is in Szolnok, you then get an appointment for 1 week later where a MOT type test and originality test is done along with photos (you will need LHD lights) once you have the paper you go to customs office to pay the duty based on age and emissions after that you need your local government office for reg plate number then you can insure it and go back to local government office where you pay fees for plate and log book. sounds complicated but its not.
You only need the car at the Goverment testing station this costs 22,000ft if you dont have insurance on the car and have it transported there it costs 60,000
Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

You can get insurance before the process starts using the vehicle's VIN. I did this with a motorbike brought over from the UK. Once the re-registration is complete then inform the insurance company of the vehicle's new registration and they will issue a new certificate.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Another point to consider is purchasing fuel.
All my local garages now show 2 prices, one for Hungarian registered vehicles and a higher price for foreign vehicles.
Yesterdays prices were 497 and 841.

At 344 extra forints per litre the cost of importing/registering will soon be outweighed.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Another point to consider is purchasing fuel.
All my local garages now show 2 prices, one for Hungarian registered vehicles and a higher price for foreign vehicles.

At 344 extra forints per litre the cost of importing/registering will soon be outweighed.
Also from Friday cans filled will carry the higher price so mowing the lawn will be more expensive
Old Jun 30th 2022, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Also from Friday cans filled will carry the higher price so mowing the lawn will be more expensive
When my son was here at the beginning of May he filled 2 x 10l cans of petrol for me to keep in the storeroom "just in case"!
Old Jun 30th 2022, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sachina
When my son was here at the beginning of May he filled 2 x 10l cans of petrol for me to keep in the storeroom "just in case"!
Just be aware that petrol degrades after a few months storage, so don't leave it too long before you use it.
Old Jul 1st 2022, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duztee
Fuel has been capped at 480 ft per litre for Hungarian registered vehicles for some time now so I doubt it was being advertised at 497 ft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.