Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by Polgardi
And ready in such a short time....I am inpressed
"Impressed" I sound like I am the one who has drunk the scrumpy
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:56 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

"Impressed" I sound like I am the one who has drunk the scrumpy
Haha, I was going to post exactly that then thought better. I don't know if it's the sugar content or alcohol but it's like the "happy wine" I blogged about a few years ago - gives me the giggles and makes me want to sing - think I chaptalized both of them! Guess who's going to pick more apples

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Sep 2nd 2013 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Haha, I was going to post exactly that then thought better. I don't know if it's the sugar content or alcohol but it's like the "happy wine" I blogged about a few years ago - gives me the giggles and makes me want to sing - think I chaptilized both of them! Guess who's going to pick more apples
Happy Wine? Are you sure it's made out of apples?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Wine? Are you sure it's made out of apples?
The last "happy wine" was made from grapes but I now think that by chaptalizing, you can make "happy wine" out of anything - best of all, no hang over
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The last "happy wine" was made from grapes but I now think that by chaptalizing, you can make "happy wine" out of anything - best of all, no hang over
chaptalizing ??
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaptalizing ??
More sugar, more sugar :-) How do you know when you have enough?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:40 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

More sugar, more sugar :-) How do you know when you have enough?
Well I didn't even realise what I was doing! The first time I did it was with the grape wine and that was just because it stopped fermenting and I thought it was too soon for it to do so - added more yeast and sugar then it stopped again so I added a bit more sugar. It was very sweet though and most of it was drank through the winter months as mulled wine. With the scrumpy, it was a case of it tasting very dry and so I added a bit more sugar, fermented again but still dry so repeated a couple of times. Left again for a while and now it tastes just like apple juice you buy from the shop but makes you laugh and sing
Oh, do you mean had enough cider? That ones easy
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay...daft question. How is lekvár different from jam? At first I thought they were the same thing...but it lekvár runny for a reason?

All comments welcome
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

They are the same thing and it is not normally runny. There is a different type of jam that comes in tubs instead of jars. That is for use in tarts and other baked items, as it does not go as runny when heated.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 2:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I think the word jam seems to cover many things here except from dzsem (jelly). We have bought "jam" which is more puree like with little sugar to "proper" jam and then the fruit butter - though I'm sure the latter has a different name. In fact, I'm sure somebody will be along to tell us there is another word on the label to distinguish between the types of "jam". I hope so as the kids don't like the runny puree and so it usually ends up in a crumble or the like.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone got any easy recipes for quince please? I haven't a clue what to do with them
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I think the word jam seems to cover many things here except from dzsem (jelly). We have bought "jam" which is more puree like with little sugar to "proper" jam and then the fruit butter - though I'm sure the latter has a different name. In fact, I'm sure somebody will be along to tell us there is another word on the label to distinguish between the types of "jam". I hope so as the kids don't like the runny puree and so it usually ends up in a crumble or the like.
Well, the issue is that we have been given tonnes of jam/lekvar this year from neighbours and friends. I am assuming this is traditional to make lots of jam like substances and them give them away as gifts...at least we wont go short of jam in the coming months/years
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:21 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Quince butter, quince jam or better still, quince jelly - serve the latter with a quality stilton or strong cheddar - also goes well with figs.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone got any easy recipes for quince please? I haven't a clue what to do with them
palinka
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
palinka
I can make pálinka out of everything in my garden...but I don't like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.