Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by duztee
Has anyone tried baking Pogacsa? (Bacon scones)
I have always made scones by mixing in cold butter to the dry ingredients, but the hungarian version uses melted butter.
Does it work?
I've had those and didn't realise what they were!! The ones I ate were homemade and didn't look anything like the ones on google images, I'm beginning to realise that some of my neighbours aren't the greatest cooks or bakers
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Pogacsa are not just bacon. I was addicted to the cheesy ones throughout the winter Would like to know the recipe too...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Pogacsa are not just bacon. I was addicted to the cheesy ones throughout the winter Would like to know the recipe too...
Are they the little cheese scone like things you get from the Forenti stalls?
Been writing you an email for the past 6 hours but keep getting bogged down trying to translate Senecas Epistles
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Are they the little cheese scone like things you get from the Forenti stalls?
Been writing you an email for the past 6 hours but keep getting bogged down trying to translate Senecas Epistles
I get them from the local bakery...but yeah I think they are the same thing. 6 hours to write me an email...I am impressed
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I get them from the local bakery...but yeah I think they are the same thing. 6 hours to write me an email...I am impressed
You'll be even more impressed to know it currently consists of 4 lines
Nox exhibet molestiam, non tollit, et sollicitudines mutat
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

You'll be even more impressed to know it currently consists of 4 lines
Nox exhibet molestiam, non tollit, et sollicitudines mutat
Hey, I aint complaining... Any attention is better than none...or should I say scone...Oh dear. It is quite late.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:10 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hey, I aint complaining... Any attention is better than none...or should I say scone...Oh dear. It is quite late.
Must be late, I'm quoting Latin and haven't even had a glass of wine yet - you do realise, by making a joke including the word scone, you are keeping us on topic
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Pogacsa - Bacon AND cheese scone.

warm 60ml milk and add 1 tsp yeast and leave to start working.

Fry 250g bacon till crispy, leave to cool and break into bits.

500g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt mixed together in a bowl, then add 2 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese and 1 tbsp of caraway seeds.

Now the Hungarian bit that doesn't work when I try it!

melt 120g unsalted butter until just liquid, remove from heat and add 120 ml soured cream and 2 beaten eggs, mix, add the crisp bacon bits and the yeast milk, place this mix in a large bowl.

now add the dry ingredients little by little, you should end up with a dough, turn out and knead for 5 mins.
Put back in the bowl and cover with cling film and leave to double in size, about an hour and a half.
turn out and knock back, roll to about 4cm and cut out with round pastry cutter, cut a cross in the top, leave for another 30 mins to rest.

glaze top with egg/water mix and cook for 30 mins at 200C.

My experiences say they need more salt, a bit more baking powder or better yeast.
internet search suggests a lot less kneading will produce a better result.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:10 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by duztee

My experiences say they need more salt, a bit more baking powder or better yeast.
internet search suggests a lot less kneading will produce a better result.
Can't see anything obvious that would go wrong there.
Yeast should be the fresh yeast, in the little yellow blocks.
Less kneading should produce a softer, more open texture.
Now I see the recipe, the failed ones that I have tried at various places appear to have not risen due to either not being allowed to rise for long enough or too much/wrong type of fat making them dense. Will give them a try, in fact, whoever tries them could post photos and see how each persons turn out - no cheating though and nipping to the shop for some ready made ones
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

no cheating though and nipping to the shop for some ready made ones
Damn!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:16 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Damn!
How apt, I was actually going to say - Pol, no nipping to the shops.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Both of my attempts still got eaten so no photo and they could not have been too bad!

I have just searched the net for other versions.
This one uses 3 teaspoons of Salt, which I would agree with.
Also adds 1 tsp of sugar in with the yeast to help activation, again I would think this a better idea.
Increases the butter by 30g to 150g.
And finally uses the grated cheese only as a topping, not as part of the mix. This must produce a more pronounced cheese taste.

So I am going with this modified recipe next attempt.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Rural, have you started your pickled walnuts yet? Our new house has a massive walnut tree that's overloaded with nuts so my wife is itching to get some of them used and pickled walnuts don't seem too difficult....apart from the malt vinegar
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:57 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Rural, have you started your pickled walnuts yet? Our new house has a massive walnut tree that's overloaded with nuts so my wife is itching to get some of them used and pickled walnuts don't seem too difficult....apart from the malt vinegar
I use wine or apple vinegar and it works just as well. Hope to start them today though not sure why I bother as I seem to be the only person that likes them
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

I use wine or apple vinegar and it works just as well. Hope to start them today though not sure why I bother as I seem to be the only person that likes them
I admit I didn't know what you guys were on about and had to google pickled walnuts...I was thinking 'eh? the walnuts are not ripe yet'...I didn't realise you used the green ones. So, do I just put them in a jar with vinegar in? It seems to simple even for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.