Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Real Estate Development near Budapest. Please advise.

Real Estate Development near Budapest. Please advise.

Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estate Development near Budapest. Please advise.

Originally Posted by duztee
Since this thread is rattling along so well I was wondering if any brave souls want to stick their necks out with suggestions for business investment opportunities.

As I have already stated I know nothing of such things, my only investment in Hungary was because it met my retirement needs.
But as I have been driving around this thread has been on my mind and I have been looking around to try to identify possibilities, without much success.

Definitely NOT another cake shop!
A friend of the family has just converted his pub to one, despite the fact that there are already two others within a 100 metres. The whole town is the same with dozens of cake shops.
I asked why he didn't convert to a cafe of which there is only one other, he said the regulations for preparing and serving hot food were just to formidable to consider it an option.
One thing that seems to be missing here which most of us might have appreciated at one time or other is a building company.
Every time I have undertaken any building work I have had to contact and contract each trade separately and then have the nightmare of coordinating their work.
So much easier in the UK when you can just call a company and tell them what you want then sit back and watch the work progress.
But I am guessing the reason for the lack of such businesses is the cost of maintaining the staff when there is little work. Since every time I required someone in the building trade they were always available within a day or two.

So I am not being much help to potential investors in Hungary!
Same boat as you Duztee but I would guess either some sort of manufacturing or high tech...
Old Jan 6th 2018, 10:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

The two estate agents I know in my area who specialize in selling to foreigners both offer a building contracting service for all trades. But it's expensive.

Conversely, what I'm missing is a property management service for holiday-home owners.

Language tuition. Some intensive Hungarian courses for expats wouldn't go amiss, ahem. But also courses in basic English and/or German for retail sales staff. Körmend is only 25 mins from the Austrian border but it's astonishing how few retail sales staff there don't even have the most basic German or English.

Out in the villages, perhaps a general store. We had one in the next village but it closed and I really miss it. There nearest one now is I think a 13 minute drive, which is a nuisance when all you want is a packet of screws.

I think there are also opportunities in the agricultural sector. Why Hungarians are prepared to pay Tesco prices for fruit escapes me.

Everyone's area will be different though, and I'm out in the boondocks.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost
The two estate agents I know in my area who specialize in selling to foreigners both offer a building contracting service for all trades. But it's expensive.

Conversely, what I'm missing is a property management service for holiday-home owners.

Language tuition. Some intensive Hungarian courses for expats wouldn't go amiss, ahem. But also courses in basic English and/or German for retail sales staff. Körmend is only 25 mins from the Austrian border but it's astonishing how few retail sales staff there don't even have the most basic German or English.

Out in the villages, perhaps a general store. We had one in the next village but it closed and I really miss it. There nearest one now is I think a 13 minute drive, which is a nuisance when all you want is a packet of screws.

I think there are also opportunities in the agricultural sector. Why Hungarians are prepared to pay Tesco prices for fruit escapes me.

Everyone's area will be different though, and I'm out in the boondocks.
Yes, it's the classic, huge difference between rural areas & the cities, I suppose the problem with rural areas is that they don't have the population / demand to support the kinds of businesses you suggest, even though there is, as you suggest, clearly some need.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Why Hungarians are prepared to pay Tesco prices for fruit escapes me.
I think the short answer is - seasonal. Tesco etc still stock fruits which are out of season.
Last year my Apricot tree was actually snapping branches under the weight of fruit, problem was so was everybody else's, so can't even give them away, and I still have all the jam from last year and the year before!
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Re stores in the villages:
Even in Germany they've all been closed - you just cannot compete with the big ones. people would buy only a few things which they need - and then go to Tesco or Interspar for the big shopping trip once a week ...
At home in Germany I talked with the village baker before he closed his bakery and he told me that he paid more for butter e g to his supplier than the big supermarket 5 km away asks when it's on offer!
And the general hardware store where you could buy screws etc closed more than 10 years ago ...

Rather OT re fruit:
My wife makes as much jam of all our fruit as possible - the rest is used by me for "Rumtopf". This has the advantage that there's minimal treatment of the fruit, cherries and sour cherries are just washed, apricots halfed and de-cored, berries just washed and checked of course. That's not too complicated even for an old geezer like me ...
Some of the apples are cut in slices and dried, the rest just kept cool ...

PS:
We also have the advantage of traveling to Germany regularly and bring stuff like home made jam as presents to our friends and family - they are very welcome!

Last edited by wolfi; Jan 6th 2018 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

The Developer is an unknown quantity at this point

Think the biggest obstacle for any foreigner interested in doing business in Hungary is gonna be the language barrier. And if your business model is labour-intensive, well, there’s one more challenge for ya. Apart from that, there is some corruption in the bureaucracy but don’t think that’s gonna be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

So my associate claims there’s quite a few English speaking expatriates in Budapest. Do you agree?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Developer

So my associate claims there’s quite a few English speaking expatriates in Budapest. Do you agree?
By English speaking expats I guess you mean American, Irish, English, German/ Austrian, Russian, Serbian, South east Asian, etc - so yes there are quite a few of us!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

There are also quite a few English speaking non-expats i.e.Hungarians, especially amongst the younger generation.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
There are also quite a few English speaking non-expats i.e.Hungarians, especially amongst the younger generation.
I was a bit confused as to whether he really meant expats or English speaking Hungarians!