Water Supply

Old Oct 23rd 2017, 8:02 am
Just Joined

joolesmck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water Supply

Hi everyone - just looking for some advice - I have just bought a little wine house. For recreation only. I have electricity but no water supply; while not an issue in any immediate sense - I would like to investigate getting water onto the property at some point? How best to do this ? Who do I speak to? Any help advice - greatly appreciated.

Julie
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Supply

you probably should have investigated the water supply before you bought it, having said that

Look at the neighbouring properties and see what they do for water - that is probably the solution to follow.

The description of a wine house implies it is a cellar on a hillside somewhere. In my area most of such properties use rain water harvesting and supplement this with trips to the local spring or well. Some springs will be tested for drinking water quality - ask about this at your council if this is relevant (like if you have springs locally)

Wells can be dug with a simple permission from the council (info correct today but the rules are under review) but check the depth of any local wells to see the probable depth needed to estimate the cost. Bore holes are possible but the regs. are more complicated (= expensive) and the cost of drilling can be significant depending upon the depth needed.

The chance of getting mains water on to the property will depend upon the location and distance to the nearest main and the depth of your pockets and even then mains water supply may be refused if the distance/height calculation means that insufficient pressure would be available at your property

Out of interest where (approximately) is the property?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Hi Peter:

The property is in Koroshegy and we are very happy with it. Water is not really a priority as hoping to reserve the rain water - the property is a summer bolt hole and not permanent living - however we have seen neighbours with water pipes - so thinking - if we can access the water - then why not?

I shall try contact the local council and begin investigating - we do not get the keys until April - so months of Planning ahead.

:-)
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask be inclined to ask the neighbours - or even the previous owner how water is managed before going to the council.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Please be careful!

The winters can get very cold so the pipe and the water meter need careful planning. A friend of ours had his water meter and pipe frozen because it wasn't deep enough in the ground and/or isolated well enough against the extreme cold. Those were expensive repairs!
If you're not there at all in winter it's probably better to rely on rain water and bottled water ...
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfi
The winters can get very cold so the pipe and the water meter need careful planning.
Over the years, I have had on average one case of frost damage each winter, despite the water system being drained by a professional plumber each autumn. (I have no central heating.) It isn't expensive in my case, since typically my plumber will charge €20 to fit a new pipe fitting or whatever, I repair the plaster myself, and there's no secondary damage because the pipes are (theoretically) empty. But it's a nuisance.

If you do install water piping, pay attention to gradients so that it can be drained most effectively in the autumn, and consider using a compressor to blow out residual water.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

thank you for all your kind advice - I love my new purchase and can't wait to re-visit next year