Ragweed Season

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ragweed Season

If it is JNW and that amount then you have a big problem,it can be injected with a systemic weed killer but tackling that amount would be just about impossible,it would have to be dug up,but as every tiny bit has to be removed and destroyed, this would also prove very difficult ,it can repropagate from the smallest fragment.I have seen it pushing up through concrete floors in some of the older properties we have veiwed and it travels great distances under ground before popping up again!In the U.K it brings whole developments to a stand still as once discovered it has to be correctly removed and transported to a regulated site to be destroyed.Mowing would just seem to spread it further.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
If it is JNW and that amount then you have a big problem,it can be injected with a systemic weed killer but tackling that amount would be just about impossible,it would have to be dug up,but as every tiny bit has to be removed and destroyed, this would also prove very difficult ,it can repropagate from the smallest fragment.I have seen it pushing up through concrete floors in some of the older properties we have veiwed and it travels great distances under ground before popping up again!In the U.K it brings whole developments to a stand still as once discovered it has to be correctly removed and transported to a regulated site to be destroyed.Mowing would just seem to spread it further.
Oh no, it's as bad as I have read about then :-( My husband also mentioned it bringing work to a halt on building sites due to the potential damage.

I'm pretty positive it is JKW as the stems are like a bamboo cane structure but a green and deep red colour - I'll get some photos on Sunday when I visit and you can hopefully identify it for me...... It might even be more than 30 feet! The thickest part is 30 feet wide and as well as this, there are thinner sections of growth spreading about another 10-20 feet - hope it's just something similar
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Oh no, it's as bad as I have read about then :-( My husband also mentioned it bringing work to a halt on building sites due to the potential damage.

I'm pretty positive it is JKW as the stems are like a bamboo cane structure but a green and deep red colour - I'll get some photos on Sunday when I visit and you can hopefully identify it for me...... It might even be more than 30 feet! The thickest part is 30 feet wide and as well as this, there are thinner sections of growth spreading about another 10-20 feet - hope it's just something similar
Lets hope its not Rural - keeping everything crossed for you!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Lets hope its not Rural - keeping everything crossed for you!
JKW + Adobe =
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:48 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Just discovered JKW is edible!

Apparently, it tastes like a lemony rhubarb and you cook and use it as you would rhubarb...... Any triers???
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Now 100% sure it is JKN.

Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

From this distance also 100% sure! Sorry to say.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

What does the JKW mean for you Rural? Hope its not too bad
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:42 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

From this distance also 100% sure! Sorry to say.
I blame you two, coming on here with your Knotweed contaminated post

Originally Posted by Polgardi
What does the JKW mean for you Rural? Hope its not too bad
Well fortunately, it's not on my property though unfortunately, I will need to try and deal with it for the owner. That said, I am quite looking forward to the challenge. Something new to learn about and tackle so that, at a later date, I can bore folk silly with my knowledge and experience of Knotweed eradication.....
Thankfully, it hasn't made it as far as the adobe cottage yet.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Aug 9th 2012 at 8:53 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Well at least we good folk in Slo made you aware that there might be a problem Good LuckI have read that the Japanese have had some success spraying with salt water,otherwise you better import some of the Japanese moths whose caterpillars find it yummy!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:14 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Well at least we good folk in Slo made you aware that there might be a problem Good LuckI have read that the Japanese have had some success spraying with salt water,otherwise you better import some of the Japanese moths whose caterpillars find it yummy!
As concierge of the Hungarian forum (cough, cough), I will have to any members from across the border, who discuss further invasive weed species NOT usually found in Hungary - due to the possibility of contamination

Salt water it is then. Though, as it's mostly on the neighbours side, I'll have to don the camouflage gear and do an after dark salt water attack. I can see the headlines now.... British woman caught sabotaging Hungarians hedge with lethal saline injection
Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Pollen count is very high around the South West Balaton region due to the ragweed, mugwort, nettle and the continuing warm, dry weather.

If you're due for a holiday and suffer from chest ailments or hay fever, make sure to pack your antihistamines.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Knotweed apparently if you spray it as its dying off it takes it in to the roots and kills it off ...BUT if you cut it down more grows apparently from a gardener...???
never heard of cooking it ..lol
Old Aug 20th 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Put some Palinka down that will surely kill them off LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.