Ragweed Season

Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:48 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ragweed Season

Just to remind everybody that this is the beginning of the ragweed season. Currently levels have passed the high load measurement and those suffering from asthma and hay fever should be extremely careful and ensure that they take their medication.

Absent homeowners should ensure that their gardens/fields are being maintained and that no ragweed is flowering on their property - you can be fined if ragweed is found during the flowering season.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ragweed Season

I've started pulling up the ragweed plants this week. I think strimming actually encourages them as they recover quicker than the other plants that are competing for light and space. I also noticed that places where I was trying out the rotavator seem to be have bigger ragweed plants than the untouched soil, perhaps the aeration of the soil has encouraged their growth.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

judybaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you put a picture of Ragweed on here please?

I'm not sure I know what it looks like.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

http://landscaping.about.com/od/weed...on_ragweed.htm

Last edited by fidobsa; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:13 am. Reason: Added photo
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by judybaby
Could you put a picture of Ragweed on here please?

I'm not sure I know what it looks like.
It's actually called "ragwort". If you Google it, there's plenty of info and pictures.

Edit.
Sorry, this could be a different plant, looking at fidobsa's post.

Shotgun.

Last edited by Shotgun; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:13 am.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:11 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Ragweed
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Shotgun
It's actually called "ragwort". If you Google it, there's plenty of info and pictures.

Edit.
Sorry, this could be a different plant, looking at fidobsa's post.

Shotgun.
Yes, it's a different plant. Uncommon in the UK and Hungary has the largest problem with it in Europe - originally came from the US. The link above shows images in different stages of growth.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Very interesting! We have seen vast amounts of what would now seem to be Ragweed growing in the Goricko National Park,just over the border from you!Up till now we belived this to be Golden Rod,but having seen both on google i think its your ragweed,although the flowers are almost identical.It certainly is very invasive as many small fields are completely taken over by it.While on the subject of invasive plants we often wonder how much of a problem Japanese Knot Weed is in Hungary? Here it seems to be everywhere you look and is being spread rapidly by the Slovenia love of strimming.If one ever wished to do harm to an agricultural based economy this would be the plant to do it with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

[QUOTE=Mike and Janet;10171668]Up till now we believed this to be Golden Rod,but having seen both on google i think its your ragweed,although the flowers are almost identical./QUOTE]

The Golden Rod tends to flower 3-4 weeks before the ragweed. The leaves are also different with the Golden Rods being a single leaf and narrower. The ragweed has a more segmented leaf and different species have different leaf types though they are all noticeably different from the Golden Rod. It is having it's first flowering now with a second due in 5-6 weeks. I have noticed more of it this year than in previous years and it's all down to irresponsible land owners neglecting their land/gardens.

Haven't seen any Japanese Knot Weed here, I have a plant which looks very similar - same leaves and flowers - though it does not have the cane's and though invasive, not to the extent of the Knot Weed, would love to know what it is though
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I've started pulling up the ragweed plants this week. I think strimming actually encourages them as they recover quicker than the other plants that are competing for light and space. I also noticed that places where I was trying out the rotavator seem to be have bigger ragweed plants than the untouched soil, perhaps the aeration of the soil has encouraged their growth.
We are having a similar problem. It is a nightmare!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant futureMike and Janet has a brilliant future

Well having had a good crawl through the ditches,sober I assure you!I can report that certainly in our area it is Golden Rod!While still invasive if left unchecked at least Janet will be able to use it as a dye plant for woolTomorrow we may be in the Goricko and I can check leaf shape there too! With regard to rotovators, in my humble opinion you always end up with far more weed plants than you started with There is a lot to be said for the Spade!! All good wishes,Mike.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:59 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - can anyone tell me when the Ragweed Season starts & ends - in other words the period when it will harm those with asthma ?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't know but I saw some in flower on the verge on the way to town this morning so it probably starts around now.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:41 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Mushroom is extremely high at the moment along with nettle whilst the ragweed is just starting. It will build up to a high come mid August (though I think it is a couple of weeks early this year) and stay high through most of September before dropping again. Pollen is bad here this year, we just returned from Poland where my son had no problems at all and sadly, we have spent today trying to stabilise his asthma, not good
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:34 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Mike and Janet
While on the subject of invasive plants we often wonder how much of a problem Japanese Knot Weed is in Hungary? Here it seems to be everywhere you look and is being spread rapidly by the Slovenia love of strimming.If one ever wished to do harm to an agricultural based economy this would be the plant to do it with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spoke too soon!!!!! Just discovered some in a garden we are looking after! I had been looking at it for weeks thinking it was perhaps fig but on looking closer, it has the reddish cane structure so I'm assuming the worst. There is about 30 feet of it and it's spreading rapidly. Problem is, the neighbour appears to have cultivated (intentionally or otherwise) the original plant as the main roots are on his side of the fence......
What is the best way to deal with it? I've read that it doesn't respond to weedkiller or cutting but that the roots have to be dug out and some can be 3 metres deep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.