Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Radiator piping- exposed and under floor

Radiator piping- exposed and under floor

Old Apr 19th 2022, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Radiator piping- exposed and under floor

For our new CH system the plumber has asked us if we want exposed or hidden radiator piping. Hidden will be more expensive. We're not bothered about them being exposed because they generate heat. Some of these piping are just below the ceiling. All radiators generate good heat.
A technical question - due to new door and window in the lounge we need piping to be moved from just above floor level to celing level then down to go through wall to kitchen. The plumber has said hot water feeding the radiators may struggle to allow hot water to circulate efficiently. Is he right? The alternative is for that particular piping to be hidden under the floor. It's laminated and below is concrete. Not sure if I've explained this clearly enough.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radiator piping- exposed and under floor

Originally Posted by FenTiger
For our new CH system the plumber has asked us if we want exposed or hidden radiator piping. Hidden will be more expensive. We're not bothered about them being exposed because they generate heat. Some of these piping are just below the ceiling. All radiators generate good heat.
A technical question - due to new door and window in the lounge we need piping to be moved from just above floor level to celing level then down to go through wall to kitchen. The plumber has said hot water feeding the radiators may struggle to allow hot water to circulate efficiently. Is he right? The alternative is for that particular piping to be hidden under the floor. It's laminated and below is concrete. Not sure if I've explained this clearly enough.
Hidden pipes will be 5 layer aluminium / plastic flexible insulated pipe (alpex) whereas exposed pipe will be copper. Alpex is cheaper than copper but more expensive to install. The additional cost depends upon the wall construction. If the system design needs it the there is no problem mixing hidden and exposed pipes, it is not all one or the other. Exposed or hidden pipes should make no difference to the efficiency of the system. Personally I am happy to have exposed pipes, much easier to change / repair in the future and much less disruptive /destructive work on installation.

If the pipework is installed properly there should be no problem having high level pipes with drop downs to rads. You will need automatic air valves installed at appropriate places to prevent air locks and such an installation will not work on gravity - but then the vast majority of new CH systems today are fully pumped systems anyway. Depending upon the room / building design it is possible to have all the pipework at high level and drop downs to all rads. My system has ceiling level pipes on the ground floor with drop downs to the ground floor rads and up through the ceiling to the upstairs rads. All high level pipes can make design for doorways easier. For windows careful placement of pipes and curtains can result in pipes being behind curtains.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Hidden pipes will be 5 layer aluminium / plastic flexible insulated pipe (alpex) whereas exposed pipe will be copper. Alpex is cheaper than copper but more expensive to install. The additional cost depends upon the wall construction. If the system design needs it the there is no problem mixing hidden and exposed pipes, it is not all one or the other. Exposed or hidden pipes should make no difference to the efficiency of the system. Personally I am happy to have exposed pipes, much easier to change / repair in the future and much less disruptive /destructive work on installation.

If the pipework is installed properly there should be no problem having high level pipes with drop downs to rads. You will need automatic air valves installed at appropriate places to prevent air locks and such an installation will not work on gravity - but then the vast majority of new CH systems today are fully pumped systems anyway. Depending upon the room / building design it is possible to have all the pipework at high level and drop downs to all rads. My system has ceiling level pipes on the ground floor with drop downs to the ground floor rads and up through the ceiling to the upstairs rads. All high level pipes can make design for doorways easier. For windows careful placement of pipes and curtains can result in pipes being behind curtains.
Agree with you exposed is easier to repair.
Also I agree about today's CH systems being fully pumped so if it's designed to handle ceiling height piping it should be okay. Maybe opt for a boiler with a slightly more powerful pump. If we ever decided to extend up into the attic then it won't need updating!
The plumber sent this photo. I think the CH piping looks better being silver than copper. My sister-in-law house has copper piping all round and doesn't look nice. I have asked why they have not painted them but they prefer them as they are.

Old Apr 19th 2022, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've got exposed gas pipes in my house as well as exposed electrical cabling which are all painted the same colour as the walls.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I've got exposed gas pipes in my house as well as exposed electrical cabling which are all painted the same colour as the walls.
Our pipe work is also painted wall colour.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 9:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Our previous (ground floor) apartment had all the pipes buried, with beautiful and I imagine very expensive floor tiles, I always worried about the potential cost & disruption / mess if any had to be replaced!
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Our previous (ground floor) apartment had all the pipes buried, with beautiful and I imagine very expensive floor tiles, I always worried about the potential cost & disruption / mess if any had to be replaced!
I wouldn't be too happy burying the CH pipes because it would mean replacing all the floor tiles and laminated flooring. I doubt we'd find similar tiles or laminated flooring to match old.
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 8:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I wouldn't be too happy burying the CH pipes because it would mean replacing all the floor tiles and laminated flooring. I doubt we'd find similar tiles or laminated flooring to match old.
That was my concern at the time!