Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Queues for guns!

Queues for guns!

Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queues for guns!

Saw this article on the internet. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...reads-12568578 . How true is it?
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:24 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queues for guns!

Is it possible for a non citizen resident to possess a firearm? I didn't know that even a Hungarian could own and possess a handgun or rifle. Anyone know the actual Hungarian statutes about gun ownership? I always owned weapons when I lived another non EU country but I had no idea that it was even possible in Hungary? To be honest I have never felt the least bit of need to own a gun here in Hungary. We keep our doors unlocked most of the time even when we are away. I have owned several handguns before such as Berettas and a couple of Mosin Nagant 91/30's and of course an actual AK47. I used to go target practicing at an indoor range.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Is it possible for a non citizen resident to possess a firearm? I didn't know that even a Hungarian could own and possess a handgun or rifle. Anyone know the actual Hungarian statutes about gun ownership? I always owned weapons when I lived another non EU country but I had no idea that it was even possible in Hungary? To be honest I have never felt the least bit of need to own a gun here in Hungary. We keep our doors unlocked most of the time even when we are away. I have owned several handguns before such as Berettas and a couple of Mosin Nagant 91/30's and of course an actual AK47. I used to go target practicing at an indoor range.
Don't know about Hungary but in the UK you can't have any hand gun and semis except .22 and shotguns are banned also. Personally I don't see a legitimate need for private individuals to own these types of weapons anyway. I have used machine guns (military) and do understand that it can be fun to blast away so what I would change in the UK would be to allow certified ranges to own hand guns and semi / full autos where people can go and have a blast under supervision.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:44 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I have no issue with someone owning a gun with proper background check, mental health test, etc, etc. As long as that person keeps their weapons, ammunition etc properly secured to prevent children and others from accessing them. But since we are in another country we must obey the laws our host nation has enacted. I worry more about knives and clubs than fire arms because knife attacks are much more prevalent that gun crimes but anyway just my opinion. The fact is bad people will do bad things with anything they can get their hands on. Guns are just the politicians bully pulpit item. If you could get rid of them all from every person, criminal and every military they would just find another method to kill people.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the weapons being sold in Budapest according to the news are non-military grade and require no licence so I would assume they can be bought by anyone. Some light arms require a licence and with tight controls I presume a licence would only be granted for specific reasons, protecting farmland and animals. The website for this news is on an Asian news website. Similar news link on: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/wires/...s-spreads.html .
Old Mar 24th 2020, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Licences can be obtained for hand guns by private individuals as one of my students had a neighbour and also a cousin who have them. The neighbour was a well known actor (now deceased) who lived in quite a remote location so had one for personal security. His cousin is a business owner who was previously mugged and also owns one for personal protection.
How they got the licences or what hoops they had to jump through, I don't know.
On the subject of gas pistols, I read a Reuters article last night on the subject and then looked into it a little further. Gas pistols seem to be all show and no go, merely a visual threat and require no licence. Airsoft, firing plastic balls also do not require a licence to own. However, what would seem to be the most effective form of defence would be a gas powered rubber bullet gun. Relatively non lethal, yet inflicting enough pain to make an attacker/intruder think twice about approaching further.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 2:22 pm
Banned

This has turned into an interesting thread. Yes, even non gunpowder type weapons can be lethal such as higher power air guns and even crossbows and the lot. I have not seen any behaviour to make me fear my neighbours and unless or until I do I am NOT going to panic. Even if legal firearms were not an option on the internet crude lethal homemade guns can be made with ordinary OBI and Praktiker plumbing materials. Relax people, The world is NOT coming to an end. My neighbours and probably most of yours also are more likely to shower you with veggies and Palinka than shower you with bullets.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
. However, what would seem to be the most effective form of defence would be a gas powered rubber bullet gun. Relatively non lethal, yet inflicting enough pain to make an attacker/intruder think twice about approaching further.
That would be my option if I felt I needed something to deter intruders but I'm sure my dogs would deter them enough.

Jack_Russells4Ever - I quite agree we are more likely to be showered with vegetables and palinka by neighbours.

I only know one person in Hungary who has a gun but no idea what kind. He owns a fishery and has several dogs which roam the place during the night and during the day time if he is alone.

It will be interesting to see whether any Hungarian internal news agencies pick up on this topic.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
That would be my option if I felt I needed something to deter intruders but I'm sure my dogs would deter them enough.

Jack_Russells4Ever - I quite agree we are more likely to be showered with vegetables and palinka by neighbours.

I only know one person in Hungary who has a gun but no idea what kind. He owns a fishery and has several dogs which roam the place during the night and during the day time if he is alone.

It will be interesting to see whether any Hungarian internal news agencies pick up on this topic.
Dogs often alert you to someone or something long before you spot or hear them. Case in point when a farm near us got turned over including driving off with their Range Rover the family totally slept through it all and the burglars had been upstairs -the thought of that sends shivers though me, I would never be without our two big fellas who spend all day in the yard and all night at the foot of our stairs.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 6:04 pm
Banned

I have 4 dogs and rest assured one of them hears something I know about it. My area is pretty tame..not much crime here. Most of their barking is at stray dogs or cats.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Dogs often alert you to someone or something long before you spot or hear them. Case in point when a farm near us got turned over including driving off with their Range Rover the family totally slept through it all and the burglars had been upstairs -the thought of that sends shivers though me, I would never be without our two big fellas who spend all day in the yard and all night at the foot of our stairs.
Why didn't the farm have dogs? It's rare to be without one!
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I decided to invest in a gun!

For taping up boxes!
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 4:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I decided to invest in a gun! ..... For taping up boxes!
In most hands, that appears to be less than lethal.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In most hands, that appears to be less than lethal.
To be honest I do find this tape gun quite lethal. I've cut myself on the teeth which cuts the tape several times. I actally got this with a package of mixed sized cardboard boxes, bubble wrap and brown tape. It's handy in a way but every time the tape runs out I always seem to forget how to thread through the tape the right way round, often ending up cutting myself on those teeth!