Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Questions on Moving to Lake Balaton

Questions on Moving to Lake Balaton

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Questions on Moving to Lake Balaton

We are moving to Lake Balaton within the next year.
Can anyone tell me is it cheaper to buy a car in the UK and have it registered there or to buy a car in Hungary?

Also where are the best places to buy in Lake Balaton?

Klarika
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Location: Small village about hours drive from Balaton nearest city Pecs
kevandcindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions on Moving to Lake Balaton

We have been here for nearly a year and have a English car at the moment, to register it here is very expensive they go on engine size so we are hoping to sell our English car then buy here. We need something like a truck as we have a small holding and my husband is a builder, big engine very big registration fee. But we have noticed the car prices here are expensive, so worth looking at both options. You are able to use your english car for a year.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.
We currently live in Spain so will probably take our Spanish car and use for 1 year and look at buying one there later. Do you think a 4x4 is needed over there with the snow and akk that?

Klarika

PS Also which part of Balaton would you recommend ?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:24 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, a 4x4 and the rest!

No seriously it's not that bad unless you are in the mountains. As long as you have a decent set of winter tyres you can get about without too many problems though the more rural/remote villages can sometimes be inaccessible after a heavy snowfall though generally only for a day or two until the roads are gritted (in our village this is done by a villager with a spade and a wheelbarrow!)

Regards import costs, the main expense is the registration tax and is calculated according to engine size and the vehicles environmental category (more or less than 5). Roughly the registration fee for a 1.4l cat 5 or above (environmentally friendly) is 689 € - below cat 5 is 905 €. Compared to a 2l cat 5 or above 2,069 € - below cat 5 is 3,100 €

Best places in the Balaton? It really depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. (SNIP)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 16th 2010 at 6:46 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
I am thinking of renting whilst we look around but can not find any web sites for long lets. Are you aware of any in or around Lake Balaton?

Thanks

Carol