Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Questions on moving to Hungary

Questions on moving to Hungary

Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:41 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice
Default Re: Questions on moving to Hungary

[QUOTE=Rural Hungary;9612405]
If you have a large flock then a more rural village is a better option.
QUOTE]

Hi, I would be really gratefull for any suggestions of rural villages especially if anyone has a good knowledge of the village or if anyone knows of any estate agents that could point us in the right direction. Also while I am being cheeky and picking brains, has anyone used propertiesabroad to purchase property, Many thanks in advance

Thankyou rural I was just about to post above and you beat me too it. I will give defra a call. Did you have any problems with transporting yours as pets as when I looked on Defra site it was saying they had to be transported as commercial with a load of regs to boot. I think we will probably try to thin out stocks so we are not bringing in quite as many as 50 lol. But thanks for the info will defo be worth bringing in some rarer breeds if they will let us.

Luckly we do have a reasonable back garden here and everyone (apart from the cockerals) pretty well behaved so we don't annoy the neighbours too much, plus they get free eggs so they don't mind so much, but yes, can't wait to get a proper piece of land.

Which leads me back to the above, if you or anyone else can recommend any places to start looking that would be really appreciated.

P.S do you have any preference to silkie colours?

Thanks in advance

Lisa
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, this is from the DEFRA site :

Poultry

Poultry such as fowl, turkey, guinea fowl, ducks, geese, quails, pigeons, pheasants, partridges and ratites may be traded between any Member States. However, animals eligible for intra-Community trade must comply with harmonised EU animal health and welfare rules. To export more than 20 birds or hatching eggs to another Member State you need to be a member of the Poultry Health Scheme.

Poultry Health Scheme
The Poultry Health Scheme has been in place since 1990 and is a trade facilitation scheme that was established to implement a system of approval for establishments officially recognised as meeting the requirements of the Directive covering the animal health conditions for trade in poultry and hatching eggs.

Membership of the scheme is open to all poultry breeders, rearers and hatcheries operating as either individuals or companies in the capacity of either owners or tenants at a particular premise.

The Poultry Health Scheme (PHS) is operated by Animal Health Divisional Offices (AHDO) of DEFRA/SEERAD/NAW, with administrative support from the Agriculture Departments.

Not sure if you had already found that but either way, they will definitely be able to help. No, we had no problems but then we only had three and a peacock at the time. All we needed was a vets letter stating they had been checked and were healthy.

Have you decided which area of Hungary you want to buy in? The country is very large and diverse, the flat Southern plains to the South, mountains to the North, Lake Balaton and the Zala hills to the west running to the Croatian and Slovenian borders - to name but a few.

Regards Silkies, have sent you a PM. Not sure if you have made enough posts to receive it yet?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:51 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
[B]
You are a star, many thanks for this info, I must be reading somewhere completley different as I havn't seen that info before, that really is fab, thanks.
Embassy did tell Hubby today that there is a form on thier website that we can fill in and just need vet letter. So kinda hopeing that it will not be as much of a mission as I first thought. We have two black silkies at the mo, they are cute but we bought them in as pullets and my they are pretty unfriendly, would never do that again, much happier doing from eggs so can ensure they have the best start. Many thanks again for the info, im so happy at the thought of bringing the chickens over