Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Questions on moving to Hungary

Questions on moving to Hungary

Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:13 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions on moving to Hungary

Copied from Flybalaton thread:

Originally Posted by tapsony
Thanks Rural Hungary. I believe I can now open a PM as this is the required 3rd posting. I find the "Hungarian Forum" very informative and interesting. I intent to move over to Hungary in the near future and have many questions in relation to this. So I hope that I do not become a pain in the backside with my queries. I consider the "on the ground information/experiences" posted to be very trustworthy and know that it will help prevent me from "making mistakes" with my move to/living in Hungary.
Hi Tapsony, glad to hear you are finding the forum helpful :-) We are a pretty tolerant bunch on here so don't worry about being a pain and just ask away - forearmed is forewarned.
When are you next over? We are meeting with the friends I mentioned to you today and I believe, until now, they thought they were the only Brits in Tapsony.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:06 pm
Banned

tapsony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions on moving to Hungary

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Copied from Flybalaton thread:

Hi tapsony, glad to hear you are finding the forum helpful :-) We are a pretty tolerant bunch on here so don't worry about being a pain and just ask away - forearmed is forewarned.
When are you next over? We are meeting with the friends I mentioned to you today and I believe, until now, they thought they were the only Brits in Tapsony.
Hi to everyone,
To get cracking with some of those questions then. --- "forearmed is forewarned"
....I am curious about the Hungarian public health system and the level of treatments available to "foreign nationals" (ourselves). Is it recommended that individuals take out private health insurance when living in Hungary longterm?
....Are the costs dentistry procedures still significantly lower in Hungary than most other western European countries? I see lots of advertisements for “dentistry trips” to Hungary and wonder if they are of good value.

When are you over next?---
....I had intended to drive over to the Marcali area in mid-September for a week or two but circumstances with the real estate company/land registry have caused me to defer the trip. So the honest answer is I don’t know for sure when I will get over there.
....How long should it take to have a Hungarian property registered in the buyers name after the full purchase price has been paid?

>>>>Hopefully someone may have some info re above or point me to the threads has the info.

Apologies to Tapsony Hungary for picking a username so close to yours, I hope it will not couse any confusion.
I typed tapsony in when registering and the system accepted it.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:22 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to Tapsony Hungary for picking a username so close to yours, I hope it will not couse any confusion.
Oh don't worry about apologising to TH - she's a troll, a troll I say Tapsony Hungary I owe you one for that (sorry Tapsony, private joke)
Hi to everyone,
To get cracking with some of those questions then. --- "forearmed is forewarned"
....I am curious about the Hungarian public health system and the level of treatments available to "foreign nationals" (ourselves). Is it recommended that individuals take out private health insurance when living in Hungary longterm?
....Are the costs dentistry procedures still significantly lower in Hungary than most other western European countries? I see lots of advertisements for “dentistry trips” to Hungary and wonder if they are of good value.

When are you over next?---
....I had intended to drive over to the Marcali area in mid-September for a week or two but circumstances with the real estate company/land registry have caused me to defer the trip. So the honest answer is I don’t know for sure when I will get over there.
....How long should it take to have a Hungarian property registered in the buyers name after the full purchase price has been paid?

>>>>Hopefully someone may have some info re above or point me to the threads has the info.

Dentist thread can be found here

Health care here

In reply to your question regarding the land registry, you are the official owner as soon as the sales contract is signed, after the signing, the land registry should be notified of the change of ownership - usually this is done on the same day as the contract is signed. The land registry can take up to 3 months to register the change and issue the documentation, however, this does not effect your use of the property in the intervening period.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Aug 18th 2011 at 8:10 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

[/QUOTE]

Hi tapsony
apology accepted
the computer said "yes"
trust no one gets confused
hope you'll enjoy your time in Hungary, a very interesting country.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:13 pm
Banned

tapsony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone,

When driving in Hungary are all of the following true ?

1) All vehicle documents must be carried at all times, along with a valid driving licence and passport/identity card.
2) The speed limit in towns and villages is 50kph unless otherwise stated, 90kph outside of towns and villages and 130kph on motorways.
3) To travel on motorways in Hungary a vignette (toll) must be purchased in advance and may be bought from most major fuel stations.
4) The minimum period for a vignette is 4 days.
5) Dipped headlights must be used when driving outside of towns and villages.
6) Drivers must carry a red warning triangle, yellow or orange safety vests (for the driver and all passengers) +
(spare bulbs/fuses and the tools to change them) and an up-to-date first aid kit.

Are there any other considerations which should be added to the list ?
Are vignettes available to purchase online for the days that one might need them and how much do they currently cost?

Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:29 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Tapsony, yes those are correct. Further information on vignettes and purchasing can be found here.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Tapsony, yes those are correct. Further information on vignettes and purchasing can be found here.

Hope this helps
Vignettes may not be the correct term anymore as your vehicle is registered with the central computer.
Make sure if you get one at a service station in advance that they register the correct date, not necessarily the one you buy it on! Talking from experience!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Hello to everyone,

When driving in Hungary are all of the following true ?

1) All vehicle documents must be carried at all times, along with a valid driving licence and passport/identity card.
2) The speed limit in towns and villages is 50kph unless otherwise stated, 90kph outside of towns and villages and 130kph on motorways.
3) To travel on motorways in Hungary a vignette (toll) must be purchased in advance and may be bought from most major fuel stations.
4) The minimum period for a vignette is 4 days.
5) Dipped headlights must be used when driving outside of towns and villages.
6) Drivers must carry a red warning triangle, yellow or orange safety vests (for the driver and all passengers) +
(spare bulbs/fuses and the tools to change them) and an up-to-date first aid kit.

Are there any other considerations which should be added to the list ?
Are vignettes available to purchase online for the days that one might need them and how much do they currently cost?

Thanks
You can carry a petrol can BUT it must be empty!!!
Zero alcohol when driving!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:37 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Carry your passports
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Carry your passports
That's item number 1 in post number 5
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:42 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Carry your passports
Originally Posted by PaulinEger
That's item number 1 in post number 5
Ouch - you're really getting stung these days.....
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:39 am
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Hi to everyone, we are steve & Lisa

We are at our planning stage of relocating to Hungary. We would really like to tap into anyones knowledge of areas that are both rural and close to good infrustructure, so that our visits can be targeted to areas that would suit our requirements. We have 5 children so need to be near schools etch and we would like a small farm. We are currently in Birmingham, UK and we have just had enough of the UK

We are just applying for our Hungarian citizenship which hopefully we should have within 6 months (just to explain, steve's father is Hungarian which qualifies his application), so plenty of planning time and that all important language training for us and our children, which we have been surprised how well they are learning the language.

We have been reading through the post's and we have to say this site has some really great information.

We are poultry keepers and would really like to bring our flock with us, as they have taken a long time to establish with gaining different birds from different flocks to ensure our chickens are not bred from the same blood lines. If anyone has any information with regard to bringing poultry into Hungary it would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Steve and Lisa, welcome to the Hungarian forum. I;m concierge for the Hungarian section so if you need any help finding your way around, just give me a shout

A bit of a cheek I know but.... if you do come over with your flock, do you think you could squeeze a couple of Silkie bantams in with them.

Which area of Hungary you eventually buy in depends on many factors including, personal preferences, budget etc

Most areas have several large villages and/or a town with schools - in the more rural villages, there are school buses which collect the children and drive them to and from school or kindergarten.

If you have a large flock then a more rural village is a better option.
What ages are your children?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:17 pm
Banned

SteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really niceSteveNLisa is just really nice

Hi our Children are 1, 2, 9, 10 & a 12 Year old. We are currently trying to get as much Hungarian language into them as possible.

We have a few silkie bantams, so not a problem to bring a couple of extra's over when we work out if their are any requirments / restrictions, we run our own incubators, so also not a problem to breed them when we get to hungary as well. If silkies bantams are in short supply in hungary, we could always include some breeding sets of different colours into our flock. We have a flock of approx 50 Light Sussex which are an excellent dual purpose bird and our flock have excellent breeding lines, which is why we wish to retain our current flock, just need to be sure Hungary do not have any issues with Birds coming in from other EU states. Our breeding dogs all have their own passports, so we are happy they will be ok to bring over.

Currently we live in the centre of Birmingham with our flock which doesnt go down too well. But it is after all completly natural for people to breed livestock for food, however civilisation seems to shun this nowadays, well especially here in the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:29 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi again, I am tried looking for the relevant information on Hungarian sites but can not find it (probably due to my limited Hungarian) but I would suggest contacting DEFRA who should be able to advise you. I know when we were taking our chickens (though they were classed as pets) out of the UK, they were more than helpful.

You can buy Silkies here but colours are limited - generally black and white though some show breeders have gold and blue. From what we have seen, they are quite rare and expensive by Hungarian standards -likewise the Polands we have come across.

LOL 50 chickens, breeding dogs and 5 children in the centre of Birmingham... Think it's time you got to Hungary asap..... Most rural properties come with at least an acre of land and outbuildings so you shouldn't have any problem finding a suitable place.
Let me know how you get on with DEFRA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.